Re: PCB's for Smartsockets - Group buy

  • Marco Conforto
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 8, 2009
      --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <fixitsan@...> wrote:

      > You had a large batch made up previously, what were the costs involved then ?

      Did I?? :)

      (could that be 'we' instead of 'you'?
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 9, 2009
        --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, "Marco Conforto" <cagamba@...> wrote:

        > --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <fixitsan@> wrote:
        > >
        > > You had a large batch made up previously, what were the costs involved then ?
        > >

        > Did I?? :)
        >
        > (could that be 'we' instead of 'you'?

        Okay !

        Could you remind me about something regarding those boards, when they arrived the holes for the pin receptacles were the correct size, yet when I placed an order with the previous board house, using the Eagle format files in the files section, the holes for th4e pin receptacles came back undersize.

        Do you recall making any changes, and would it be wise to update the files in the file section to reflect that ?

        Chris
      • taylorjpt
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 15, 2009
          > Could you remind me about something regarding those boards, when they arrived the holes for the pin receptacles were the correct size, yet when I placed an order with the previous board house, using the Eagle format files in the files section, the holes for th4e pin receptacles came back undersize.
          >
          > Do you recall making any changes, and would it be wise to update the files in the file section to reflect that ?
          >
          > Chris

          The hole sizes on the Eagle CADD file looked right for a loose fit (0.086" diameter) but if not specified as "After plating" these can shrink by a factor of 2 x PlateThickness, or 1.4mils per oz = 2.8mil smaller than the drill. If a HASL "Tin" plate is used, this could subtract another 5 to 10 mils for a large hole... now your 0.086" hole is 0.0732" in diameter which is the exact diameter of the pin! (Smaller if you use the press-fit pins with knurling). Let's not even consider hole size tolerance, drill wear and drill spiral.

          The re-design specifies 0.086 after plating (up 1 oz) as well as a 20mm hole for the tube end so you should not have a problem.

          http://www.tayloredge.com/reference/Circuits/1386SmartSocket/1386.gif

          jt