Re: IV-17 / IV-4 Smartsockets

    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 11, 2009

      > Wasting power is not good, as a general rule.
      > But in a case like this, it's such a small amount.
      > And one could also say that powering up any smartsocket is a waste
      of power....

      Yeah, but hopefully they won't ever say that !

      I've just done some real measurements and had a pleasant surprise.
      At 24V the long diagonal segment (chosen because it was the longest)
      runs at about 140uA (microamps). As voltage rises so too will current,
      but it's probably enough for now to say that each segment draws 200uA,
      to be on the safe side.

      If , on average, only half of the segments are used, the average
      maximum current lost in the driver will be no more than about 2mA.

      Compared to a 'proper' VFD high side driver like the MAX6921, which
      draws about 1mA in idle mode, and has serial bus lines and blanking
      control lines which could easily add 10mA, using resistors and drivers
      seems to be less wasteful than a proper VFD driver is !(under certain
      circumstances ;o) )

      Now, looking again at the choice of driver IC's can anyone see
      anything wrong with using three ULN2003AD chips at 15 pennies each ?
      (less in larger quantities). They are rated to 50V with a relatively
      huge current capacity. I have some on the shelf so I think I'll give
      them a try in the next couple days.

      The other thing missing from the equation are the resistor networks
      which would be required to add current limiting to each segment which
      is to be shorted to ground, just pennies in terms of cost, but need to
      find room for them on the pcb too !

      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 11, 2009
        --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, Quixotic Nixotic <nixotic1@...>
        wrote:

        > Does anyone know why the IV-17s are better than the IV-4s? What is
        > the difference, electronically-speaking?
        >
        > John S

        Apparently they live longer, and also draw slightly less current too.