Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: Tube sockets and underscores

Expand Messages
  • Chris
    ...Happy new year by the way, good luck with it ! Ken, the receptacles are from Rapid Electronics, part number 22-1125 They re made by Harwin and can be veiwed
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 7, 2007
    • 0 Attachment
      ...Happy new year by the way, good luck with it !

      Ken, the receptacles are from Rapid Electronics, part number 22-1125

      They're made by Harwin and can be veiwed here
      http://tinyurl.com/ydzy8b

      Jphn has mentioned using D-sub contacts and I agree that it's
      perfectly acceptable. if you were lucky enough to be someone who got
      some sockets when they bought their tubes you can solder the socket
      directly to the PCB if you mount it on the reverse side to the side
      which the components are on.

      I hope that helps.

      John, watch out for character 13, and the exclamation mark. I can't
      remember if we discussed it already and you're mentioning it because
      of that discussion, but you will probably see no effect, because char
      13 is read as an end of message and is ignored, and the exclamation
      mark is read as the 'no change' character.

      I have tried to think of a way to get by without using char 13 as
      the end of message marker, but it would get tricky, but it might be
      fun to put the serial port under more strain and check to see if the
      processor can do more inline character shuffling, I think it could,
      and if I were going to do it all again I think I would write the code
      with that in mind. I hope it doesn't become a problem for you for a
      while !

      Best Regards
      Chris



      --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, Quixotic Nixotic <nixotic@...>
      wrote:
      >
      > On 7 Jan 2007, at 17:30, Ken Wolfe wrote:
      >
      > > I've finally started to assemble the boards you shipped to me
      last
      > > month. I have a question about the pin sockets. Which pin
      sockets
      > > are these boards designed to accept? I have Mil-Max
      > > 0331-0-15-01-18-27-10-0, (Mouser #575-033100) which don't seem to
      have
      > > a large enough lip. They fall straight through.
      >
      > Ken,
      >
      > I used receptacles from D sockets, the kind where you get a strip
      of
      > them separately. I just snipped the cable crimp bit off and bent
      the
      > remaining lip over and they soldered down beautifully. No problems.
      >
      > Chris, I played with the new revision underscores yesterday and I
      am
      > happy to say they are working just great. The philosophy and
      address
      > protocol now matches the other parameters. So well done that man
      for
      > enhancing that feature.
      >
      > I also squirted in a reasonably full set of UDCs, from 0 to the
      top,
      > except for the exclamation mark and chr13. Not tested them yet,
      too
      > many domestic jobbies this weekend. Will let you know how I get on
      > with them in due course.
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > John
      >
    • Quixotic Nixotic
      ... Yes Chris, I am mentioning it because of that discussion. That is why I didn t redefine those two chrs as they are off limits because they have special
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 7, 2007
      • 0 Attachment
        On 7 Jan 2007, at 21:35, Chris wrote:

        > John, watch out for character 13, and the exclamation mark. I can't
        > remember if we discussed it already and you're mentioning it because
        > of that discussion, but you will probably see no effect, because char
        > 13 is read as an end of message and is ignored, and the exclamation
        > mark is read as the 'no change' character.

        Yes Chris, I am mentioning it because of that discussion. That is why
        I didn't redefine those two chrs as they are off limits because they
        have special meanings for the smartsockets. I think this is a
        perfectly acceptable limitation.

        John
      • Ken Wolfe
        ... Thanks John, I might try that. Ken
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 7, 2007
        • 0 Attachment
          --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, Quixotic Nixotic <nixotic@...> wrote:
          >
          > On 7 Jan 2007, at 17:30, Ken Wolfe wrote:
          >
          > > I've finally started to assemble the boards you shipped to me last
          > > month. I have a question about the pin sockets. Which pin sockets
          > > are these boards designed to accept? I have Mil-Max
          > > 0331-0-15-01-18-27-10-0, (Mouser #575-033100) which don't seem to have
          > > a large enough lip. They fall straight through.
          >
          > Ken,
          >
          > I used receptacles from D sockets, the kind where you get a strip of
          > them separately. I just snipped the cable crimp bit off and bent the
          > remaining lip over and they soldered down beautifully. No problems.
          >
          > Chris, I played with the new revision underscores yesterday and I am
          > happy to say they are working just great. The philosophy and address
          > protocol now matches the other parameters. So well done that man for
          > enhancing that feature.
          >
          > I also squirted in a reasonably full set of UDCs, from 0 to the top,
          > except for the exclamation mark and chr13. Not tested them yet, too
          > many domestic jobbies this weekend. Will let you know how I get on
          > with them in due course.
          >
          > Regards,
          >
          > John
          >


          Thanks John, I might try that.

          Ken
        • Ken Wolfe
          Chris,John, I found those Harwin pins at Mouser so I won t get smacked for overseas shipping. Mouser number: 855-H3161-01 Harwin number: H3161-01
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 7, 2007
          • 0 Attachment
            Chris,John,

            I found those Harwin pins at Mouser so I won't get smacked for
            overseas shipping.

            Mouser number: 855-H3161-01 Harwin number: H3161-01

            Chris...Just in case, are there more boards and processors available
            if I decide to expand? I want to see if these will suit my needs first.


            Thanks guys,
            Ken


            --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <fixitsan@...> wrote:
            >
            > ...Happy new year by the way, good luck with it !
            >
            > Ken, the receptacles are from Rapid Electronics, part number 22-1125
            >
            > They're made by Harwin and can be veiwed here
            > http://tinyurl.com/ydzy8b
            >

            > Chris
            >
            >
            >
            > --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, Quixotic Nixotic <nixotic@>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > On 7 Jan 2007, at 17:30, Ken Wolfe wrote:
            > >
            > > > I've finally started to assemble the boards you shipped to me
            > last
            > > > month. I have a question about the pin sockets. Which pin
            > sockets
            > > > are these boards designed to accept? I have Mil-Max
            > > > 0331-0-15-01-18-27-10-0, (Mouser #575-033100) which don't seem to
            > have
            > > > a large enough lip. They fall straight through.
            > >
            > > Ken,
            > >
            > > I used receptacles from D sockets, the kind where you get a strip
            > of
            > > them separately. I just snipped the cable crimp bit off and bent
            > the

            > > John
            > >
            >
          • Quixotic Nixotic
            ... Ken, Chris s boards are heaps of fun and mine worked straight out of the box without a hitch. I think they are a good way of showing off what are rare and
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 7, 2007
            • 0 Attachment
              On 8 Jan 2007, at 00:24, Ken Wolfe wrote:

              > Chris...Just in case, are there more boards and processors available
              > if I decide to expand? I want to see if these will suit my needs
              > first.

              Ken,

              Chris's boards are heaps of fun and mine worked straight out of the
              box without a hitch. I think they are a good way of showing off what
              are rare and interesting tubes.

              Let us know how you get on,

              John
            • Chris
              ... available ... first. ... That s good Ken, I was concerned that I had specified using a part made of unobtanium. I think I only have 4 boards left, and
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 8, 2007
              • 0 Attachment
                --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Wolfe" <k3qvken@...> wrote:
                >
                > Chris,John,
                >
                > I found those Harwin pins at Mouser so I won't get smacked for
                > overseas shipping.
                >
                > Mouser number: 855-H3161-01 Harwin number: H3161-01
                >
                > Chris...Just in case, are there more boards and processors
                available
                > if I decide to expand? I want to see if these will suit my needs
                first.
                >
                >
                > Thanks guys,
                > Ken
                >

                That's good Ken, I was concerned that I had specified using a part
                made of unobtanium.

                I think I only have 4 boards left, and might consider having another
                run made, the option to do that is always there.
                I have 10 processors in stock now, after a small period of non-
                supply.
                John, by the way, I received your returns, thank you.

                Let me know if you have any more problems Ken,

                Cheers
                Chris
              • Ken Wolfe
                Chris, I finally started to populate the boards tonight (yay!) I have one question. What value is R-31? I looked through what paperwork I have and haven t
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 24, 2007
                • 0 Attachment
                  Chris,
                  I finally started to populate the boards tonight (yay!)

                  I have one question. What value is R-31? I looked through what
                  paperwork I have and haven't decided on a value. I have a habit of
                  not reading everything before I start. (It's a guy thing).

                  Thanks!
                  Ken

                  --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <fixitsan@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Wolfe" <k3qvken@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Chris,John,
                  > >
                  > > I found those Harwin pins at Mouser so I won't get smacked for
                  > > overseas shipping.
                  > >
                  > > Mouser number: 855-H3161-01 Harwin number: H3161-01
                  > >
                  > > Chris...Just in case, are there more boards and processors
                  > available
                  > > if I decide to expand? I want to see if these will suit my needs
                  > first.
                  > >
                  > >
                  > > Thanks guys,
                  > > Ken
                  > >
                  >
                  > That's good Ken, I was concerned that I had specified using a part
                  > made of unobtanium.
                  >
                  > I think I only have 4 boards left, and might consider having another
                  > run made, the option to do that is always there.
                  > I have 10 processors in stock now, after a small period of non-
                  > supply.
                  > John, by the way, I received your returns, thank you.
                  >
                  > Let me know if you have any more problems Ken,
                  >
                  > Cheers
                  > Chris
                  >
                • fixitsan@aol.com
                  Hello Ken, that s good news ! R31 is the anode resistor and is optional. It s optional in the sense that if you use a 170Vdc power supply then you only need to
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 25, 2007
                  • 0 Attachment
                    Hello Ken, that's good news !
                    R31 is the anode resistor and is optional. It's optional in the sense that if you use a 170Vdc power supply then you only need to bridge the pads with a wire because the cathode resistors were selected for a 170V HV supply.
                    Another builder is using a 200V supply and we reckoned on 10K being about right for R31.
                     
                    Let me know if you need more information
                    Chris
                  • Ken Wolfe
                    Thanks Chris It makes sense now. ;) Ken ... sense that ... pads with a ... about
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 25, 2007
                    • 0 Attachment
                      Thanks Chris

                      It makes sense now. ;)

                      Ken

                      --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, fixitsan@... wrote:
                      >
                      > Hello Ken, that's good news !
                      > R31 is the anode resistor and is optional. It's optional in the
                      sense that
                      > if you use a 170Vdc power supply then you only need to bridge the
                      pads with a
                      > wire because the cathode resistors were selected for a 170V HV supply.
                      > Another builder is using a 200V supply and we reckoned on 10K being
                      about
                      > right for R31.
                      >
                      > Let me know if you need more information
                      > Chris
                      >
                    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.