Re: Smart Sockets

  • Ken Wolfe
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 7, 2007
      --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <fixitsan@...> wrote:

      > --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Wolfe" <k3qvken@> wrote:

      Hello Chris,

      I've finally started to assemble the boards you shipped to me last
      month. I have a question about the pin sockets. Which pin sockets
      are these boards designed to accept? I have Mil-Max
      0331-0-15-01-18-27-10-0, (Mouser #575-033100) which don't seem to have
      a large enough lip. They fall straight through.

      Hope the New Year is treating you well!

      Ken
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 7, 2007
        On 7 Jan 2007, at 17:30, Ken Wolfe wrote:

        > I've finally started to assemble the boards you shipped to me last
        > month. I have a question about the pin sockets. Which pin sockets
        > are these boards designed to accept? I have Mil-Max
        > 0331-0-15-01-18-27-10-0, (Mouser #575-033100) which don't seem to have
        > a large enough lip. They fall straight through.

        Ken,

        I used receptacles from D sockets, the kind where you get a strip of
        them separately. I just snipped the cable crimp bit off and bent the
        remaining lip over and they soldered down beautifully. No problems.

        Chris, I played with the new revision underscores yesterday and I am
        happy to say they are working just great. The philosophy and address
        protocol now matches the other parameters. So well done that man for
        enhancing that feature.

        I also squirted in a reasonably full set of UDCs, from 0 to the top,
        except for the exclamation mark and chr13. Not tested them yet, too
        many domestic jobbies this weekend. Will let you know how I get on
        with them in due course.

        Regards,

        John
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 7, 2007
          ...Happy new year by the way, good luck with it !

          Ken, the receptacles are from Rapid Electronics, part number 22-1125

          They're made by Harwin and can be veiwed here
          http://tinyurl.com/ydzy8b

          Jphn has mentioned using D-sub contacts and I agree that it's
          perfectly acceptable. if you were lucky enough to be someone who got
          some sockets when they bought their tubes you can solder the socket
          directly to the PCB if you mount it on the reverse side to the side
          which the components are on.

          I hope that helps.

          John, watch out for character 13, and the exclamation mark. I can't
          remember if we discussed it already and you're mentioning it because
          of that discussion, but you will probably see no effect, because char
          13 is read as an end of message and is ignored, and the exclamation
          mark is read as the 'no change' character.

          I have tried to think of a way to get by without using char 13 as
          the end of message marker, but it would get tricky, but it might be
          fun to put the serial port under more strain and check to see if the
          processor can do more inline character shuffling, I think it could,
          and if I were going to do it all again I think I would write the code
          with that in mind. I hope it doesn't become a problem for you for a
          while !

          Best Regards
          Chris

          --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, Quixotic Nixotic <nixotic@...>

          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 7, 2007
            On 7 Jan 2007, at 21:35, Chris wrote:

            > John, watch out for character 13, and the exclamation mark. I can't
            > remember if we discussed it already and you're mentioning it because
            > of that discussion, but you will probably see no effect, because char
            > 13 is read as an end of message and is ignored, and the exclamation
            > mark is read as the 'no change' character.

            Yes Chris, I am mentioning it because of that discussion. That is why
            I didn't redefine those two chrs as they are off limits because they
            have special meanings for the smartsockets. I think this is a
            perfectly acceptable limitation.

            John
          • Ken Wolfe
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 7, 2007
              --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, Quixotic Nixotic <nixotic@...> wrote:

              > On 7 Jan 2007, at 17:30, Ken Wolfe wrote:
              >
              > > I've finally started to assemble the boards you shipped to me last
              > > month. I have a question about the pin sockets. Which pin sockets
              > > are these boards designed to accept? I have Mil-Max
              > > 0331-0-15-01-18-27-10-0, (Mouser #575-033100) which don't seem to have
              > > a large enough lip. They fall straight through.
              >
              > Ken,
              >
              > I used receptacles from D sockets, the kind where you get a strip of
              > them separately. I just snipped the cable crimp bit off and bent the
              > remaining lip over and they soldered down beautifully. No problems.
              >
              > Chris, I played with the new revision underscores yesterday and I am
              > happy to say they are working just great. The philosophy and address
              > protocol now matches the other parameters. So well done that man for
              > enhancing that feature.
              >
              > I also squirted in a reasonably full set of UDCs, from 0 to the top,
              > except for the exclamation mark and chr13. Not tested them yet, too
              > many domestic jobbies this weekend. Will let you know how I get on
              > with them in due course.
              >
              > Regards,
              >
              > John

              Thanks John, I might try that.

              Ken
            • Ken Wolfe
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 7, 2007
                Chris,John,

                I found those Harwin pins at Mouser so I won't get smacked for
                overseas shipping.

                Mouser number: 855-H3161-01 Harwin number: H3161-01

                Chris...Just in case, are there more boards and processors available
                if I decide to expand? I want to see if these will suit my needs first.

                Thanks guys,
                Ken

                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 7, 2007
                  On 8 Jan 2007, at 00:24, Ken Wolfe wrote:

                  > Chris...Just in case, are there more boards and processors available
                  > if I decide to expand? I want to see if these will suit my needs
                  > first.

                  Ken,

                  Chris's boards are heaps of fun and mine worked straight out of the
                  box without a hitch. I think they are a good way of showing off what
                  are rare and interesting tubes.

                  Let us know how you get on,

                  John
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 8, 2007
                    --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Wolfe" <k3qvken@...> wrote:

                    > Chris,John,
                    >
                    > I found those Harwin pins at Mouser so I won't get smacked for
                    > overseas shipping.
                    >
                    > Mouser number: 855-H3161-01 Harwin number: H3161-01
                    >
                    > Chris...Just in case, are there more boards and processors
                    available
                    > if I decide to expand? I want to see if these will suit my needs
                    first.

                    > Thanks guys,
                    > Ken

                    That's good Ken, I was concerned that I had specified using a part
                    made of unobtanium.

                    I think I only have 4 boards left, and might consider having another
                    run made, the option to do that is always there.
                    I have 10 processors in stock now, after a small period of non-
                    supply.
                    John, by the way, I received your returns, thank you.

                    Let me know if you have any more problems Ken,

                    Cheers
                    Chris
                  • Ken Wolfe
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 24, 2007
                      Chris,
                      I finally started to populate the boards tonight (yay!)

                      I have one question. What value is R-31? I looked through what
                      paperwork I have and haven't decided on a value. I have a habit of
                      not reading everything before I start. (It's a guy thing).

                      Thanks!
                      Ken

                    • fixitsan@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 25, 2007
                        Hello Ken, that's good news !
                        R31 is the anode resistor and is optional. It's optional in the sense that if you use a 170Vdc power supply then you only need to bridge the pads with a wire because the cathode resistors were selected for a 170V HV supply.
                        Another builder is using a 200V supply and we reckoned on 10K being about right for R31.

                        Let me know if you need more information
                        Chris
                      • Ken Wolfe
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jan 25, 2007
                          Thanks Chris