Re: [smartsockets] Digest Number 118

  • Owen Rubin
    Message 1 of 2 , May 15, 2008
      > Another way to make them more cost effective is to make boards which
      > drive more than one tube. The next easiest would be a 2-tube socket,
      > with one larger microcontroller driving both tubes. Alternatively a 4-
      > tube display would also be more cost effective.

      I think a 4 tube board would be a great idea, and I am sure they could be
      sold on eBay, as clock boards and kits there go for big dollars. As a kit is
      no problem at all, let people put the pins in the board for the sockets
      themselves.

      Even better, when rewriting the code for 4 tubes, also design the board with
      an extra PIC or other processor on them so the design could be used to build
      clocks and other devices with some programming smarts (which people here
      could sell their ideas programmed into a PIC) on the same board. It could
      either take serial in, or with a jumper (maybe) let a local processor drive
      the device. I would buy one for sure.

      -Owen-
      Message 2 of 2 , May 16, 2008
        In thinking about this some more, I am going to do some experimenting
        with shift registers to see if I can run 4 tubes independently.

        The reason is that the Supertex HV5522 (and similar) have 32 outputs
        each.

        A 4-tube board might consist of 2 HV5522's, a microcontroller and a
        switched mode HV supply. The boards would then only require a 12V
        supply and the data signal.

        Need to test this out, but it could possibly made for less than it
        costs to make 4 individual sockets. A 2-tube version sing a single
        HV5522 could be a real possibility.

        I will do some testing on this to see if I can get shift registers and
        a micro to work together well enough to still provide independent
        control of each digit.