Smartsockets board design

  • Brett Paulin
    Message 1 of 12 , May 14 1:51 AM
      >> Are we talking about making more? I might be interested in some
      >> more, but I too would like to see them complete if you are planning on
      >> using surfacemount components, as I have no way to build such a board.

      Surface mount components are a lot easier than you might think to hand
      assemble. The hardest part is not losing the components. :)

      Really fine pitch IC's are probably a bit hard, but DIP IC's dont need
      the "bend-to-fit, insert, bend again to hold while you turn over, solder,
      cut, pickup cut leads" process that through-hole discretes do anyway, so I'd
      stay with a DIP for the Micro and SMD for the discretes. no Board flipping
      with components falling out for SMD's either.

      A pair of tweezers, a magnifying lamp (if you arent short-sighted - I am, so I
      can see them fine) and you're away. Give it a go sometime, I use SMD
      discretes for all my prototype's constructed on donut board now - it makes
      assembly so much faster and neater.

      Another idea *if* you are doing a board redesign - maybe run some wide
      edge-connector style tracks to each edge of the board with the data-in,
      data-out lines flipped appropriately so if you are mounting the boards all
      next to each other (most likely), then you can just bridge links (perhaps the
      cut-off through-hole leads - ;) ) from one board to the other to link them
      together and then you dont need to spend ages making all the inter-board
      connector cables.

      Multiplexing probably isnt worthwhile with the cost of the micros being so
      cheap.
      Message 2 of 12 , May 14 11:03 AM
        A redesign using SMD will reduce the partcount a bit.
        Use driver IC's (high voltage ULN2003 version)
        These contain 7 drivers. So 2x 16 pin IC's and one transistor will do the
        trick.
        I'm not sure if "base-resistors" are needed. If so, there's SMD-Arrays for
        this too.
        But it may cost a bit more and won't be a lot less work.
        The end result may even be the same size as through-hole components.
        All in all, some work and questionable improvement.

        Still, I would be willing to make a redesign.

        BR/
        Guus Assmann

        Message 3 of 12 , May 15 12:24 AM
          --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, Brett Paulin <yahoogroups@...>
          wrote:

          Thanks for the input over SMD components, I really must get myself to
          do something about it. I think i just use through hole because it is
          still readily available, but would like to try some SMD before it
          becomes compulsory !

          > Another idea *if* you are doing a board redesign - maybe run some
          wide
          > edge-connector style tracks to each edge of the board with the data-
          in,
          > data-out lines flipped appropriately so if you are mounting the
          boards all
          > next to each other (most likely), then you can just bridge links
          (perhaps the
          > cut-off through-hole leads - ;) ) from one board to the other to
          link them
          > together and then you dont need to spend ages making all the inter-
          board
          > connector cables.

          Edge connectors on the side ? Great idea !
          I guess I would need to make the tracks across the board which join
          the edges larger than normal if somebody wanted to make a very large
          array of them and hoped to pass all signals and voltages through
          every edge connector ?

          What would be the best track size here ? ' As large as can be made to
          fit in the space allowed ' I suppose ?