Another type of socket , doubles, quads,(was) Re:Is anyone interested ....

    Message 1 of 12 , May 14, 2008
      --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, Owen Rubin <orubin@...> wrote:

      > Per my previous request for getting boards made, one user in this
      forum did
      > post that he was getting more made and people who wanted them could
      contact
      > him.
      >
      > Are we talking about making more? I might be interested in some
      more, but I
      > too would like to see them complete if you are planning on using
      surface
      > mount components, as I have no way to build such a board. If normal
      > component type, then a board and a programmed PIC should be
      included, as
      > some of us are not so handy programming the pics, and I agree, a
      completely
      > stuffed board tested, and a complete kit would make great eBay
      items, which
      > I am happy to set up auctions for if someone builds enough.
      >
      > Cheers,
      > -Owen-

      The issue I have is that construction of a socket was taking me over
      30 minutes per socket when making batches of ten. The demand doesn't
      seem to be high enough to warrant construction costs. One board house
      quoted me a price for making and stuffing boards which would have
      made them slightly more expensive than the prices I charged, but not
      by much , if I ordered fifty.

      Another way to make them more cost effective is to make boards which
      drive more than one tube. The next easiest would be a 2-tube socket,
      with one larger microcontroller driving both tubes. Alternatively a 4-
      tube display would also be more cost effective.

      The units could be made to work exactly the same as single sockets so
      singles, doubles and quads could probably be mixed together in any
      combination. It would mean quite a serious re-write of software but
      thats the part I really enjoy. I suspect I could make these dispalys
      multiplexed, which would reduce parts count.

      An issue with multiplexing is that some of the effects are processor
      intensive and it may not be possible to get the smoothest
      transitions, but a double could be made with one controller, direct
      drive which negates that issue.

      This is something I need to do some work on, but I am wondering if
      anyone had any interest in this idea because most people are making
      two, four and six tube displays and therefore there seems to be a
      logic in making sockets for even numbers of tubes.

      I'ld be interested to hear anyone's thoughts.

      Chris
    • Brett Paulin
      Message 2 of 12 , May 14, 2008
        >> Are we talking about making more? I might be interested in some
        >> more, but I too would like to see them complete if you are planning on
        >> using surfacemount components, as I have no way to build such a board.

        Surface mount components are a lot easier than you might think to hand
        assemble. The hardest part is not losing the components. :)

        Really fine pitch IC's are probably a bit hard, but DIP IC's dont need
        the "bend-to-fit, insert, bend again to hold while you turn over, solder,
        cut, pickup cut leads" process that through-hole discretes do anyway, so I'd
        stay with a DIP for the Micro and SMD for the discretes. no Board flipping
        with components falling out for SMD's either.

        A pair of tweezers, a magnifying lamp (if you arent short-sighted - I am, so I
        can see them fine) and you're away. Give it a go sometime, I use SMD
        discretes for all my prototype's constructed on donut board now - it makes
        assembly so much faster and neater.

        Another idea *if* you are doing a board redesign - maybe run some wide
        edge-connector style tracks to each edge of the board with the data-in,
        data-out lines flipped appropriately so if you are mounting the boards all
        next to each other (most likely), then you can just bridge links (perhaps the
        cut-off through-hole leads - ;) ) from one board to the other to link them
        together and then you dont need to spend ages making all the inter-board
        connector cables.

        Multiplexing probably isnt worthwhile with the cost of the micros being so
        cheap.
        Message 3 of 12 , May 14, 2008
          A redesign using SMD will reduce the partcount a bit.
          Use driver IC's (high voltage ULN2003 version)
          These contain 7 drivers. So 2x 16 pin IC's and one transistor will do the
          trick.
          I'm not sure if "base-resistors" are needed. If so, there's SMD-Arrays for
          this too.
          But it may cost a bit more and won't be a lot less work.
          The end result may even be the same size as through-hole components.
          All in all, some work and questionable improvement.

          Still, I would be willing to make a redesign.

          BR/
          Guus Assmann

          Message 4 of 12 , May 15, 2008
            --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, Brett Paulin <yahoogroups@...>
            wrote:

            Thanks for the input over SMD components, I really must get myself to
            do something about it. I think i just use through hole because it is
            still readily available, but would like to try some SMD before it
            becomes compulsory !

            > Another idea *if* you are doing a board redesign - maybe run some
            wide
            > edge-connector style tracks to each edge of the board with the data-
            in,
            > data-out lines flipped appropriately so if you are mounting the
            boards all
            > next to each other (most likely), then you can just bridge links
            (perhaps the
            > cut-off through-hole leads - ;) ) from one board to the other to
            link them
            > together and then you dont need to spend ages making all the inter-
            board
            > connector cables.

            Edge connectors on the side ? Great idea !
            I guess I would need to make the tracks across the board which join
            the edges larger than normal if somebody wanted to make a very large
            array of them and hoped to pass all signals and voltages through
            every edge connector ?

            What would be the best track size here ? ' As large as can be made to
            fit in the space allowed ' I suppose ?