Re:Is anyone interested in a group purchase scheme ?

  • Owen Rubin
    Message 1 of 12 , May 13, 2008
      Per my previous request for getting boards made, one user in this forum did
      post that he was getting more made and people who wanted them could contact
      him.

      Are we talking about making more? I might be interested in some more, but I
      too would like to see them complete if you are planning on using surface
      mount components, as I have no way to build such a board. If normal
      component type, then a board and a programmed PIC should be included, as
      some of us are not so handy programming the pics, and I agree, a completely
      stuffed board tested, and a complete kit would make great eBay items, which
      I am happy to set up auctions for if someone builds enough.

      Cheers,
      -Owen-
      Message 2 of 12 , May 13, 2008
        --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, "marc_bury" <marc_bury@...>
        wrote:

        > --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <fixitsan@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Would anyone be interested in getting some B7971 PCB's ?
        > > Chris
        > >

        > Hi Chris, that is a great idea !
        >
        > As a matter of fact, I tried to contact Onno Tromop in Nederlands
        > (http://www.tromop.eu/) since he proposes PCB based on your design,
        > as well as programmed PICs and kits of PCB pins to handle the B7971.
        > I particularly like the kit with 6 PCBs, 6 PICs and 6 kits of pins.
        >
        > So this is really a suggestion: if you organize the making of
        > smartsocket PCBs, why not also porpose bunch of pins and even
        > programmed PICs for others ?
        >
        > BR,
        > Marc

        I suppose that is not too difficult at all. The only issue I have is
        with cost. If there is only a small amount of interest then the price
        is high. This makes them unnatractive to more people at a time when
        it would be useful to have more people interested to get the prices
        down. I certainly wouldn't expect to ask for money up front.

        I'll look into it, I might be able to pay up front for a small
        surplus of boards to be made, but as has been pointed out Onno Tromop
        may well be the best bet, his board house can do re-runs easily as
        far as I know. It all depends if Onno has the time to do this, should
        we talk about this off-list Onno ?

        It has been suggested a number of times that a kit similar to what
        you have suggested should be made available. It's not great knowing
        that people want to make these but can't foot the bill for a small
        run of boards, hence the reason behind the group purpose idea.

        Message 3 of 12 , May 14, 2008
          --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, Owen Rubin <orubin@...> wrote:

          > Per my previous request for getting boards made, one user in this
          forum did
          > post that he was getting more made and people who wanted them could
          contact
          > him.
          >
          > Are we talking about making more? I might be interested in some
          more, but I
          > too would like to see them complete if you are planning on using
          surface
          > mount components, as I have no way to build such a board. If normal
          > component type, then a board and a programmed PIC should be
          included, as
          > some of us are not so handy programming the pics, and I agree, a
          completely
          > stuffed board tested, and a complete kit would make great eBay
          items, which
          > I am happy to set up auctions for if someone builds enough.
          >
          > Cheers,
          > -Owen-

          The issue I have is that construction of a socket was taking me over
          30 minutes per socket when making batches of ten. The demand doesn't
          seem to be high enough to warrant construction costs. One board house
          quoted me a price for making and stuffing boards which would have
          made them slightly more expensive than the prices I charged, but not
          by much , if I ordered fifty.

          Another way to make them more cost effective is to make boards which
          drive more than one tube. The next easiest would be a 2-tube socket,
          with one larger microcontroller driving both tubes. Alternatively a 4-
          tube display would also be more cost effective.

          The units could be made to work exactly the same as single sockets so
          singles, doubles and quads could probably be mixed together in any
          combination. It would mean quite a serious re-write of software but
          thats the part I really enjoy. I suspect I could make these dispalys
          multiplexed, which would reduce parts count.

          An issue with multiplexing is that some of the effects are processor
          intensive and it may not be possible to get the smoothest
          transitions, but a double could be made with one controller, direct
          drive which negates that issue.

          This is something I need to do some work on, but I am wondering if
          anyone had any interest in this idea because most people are making
          two, four and six tube displays and therefore there seems to be a
          logic in making sockets for even numbers of tubes.

          I'ld be interested to hear anyone's thoughts.

          Chris
        • Brett Paulin
          Message 4 of 12 , May 14, 2008
            >> Are we talking about making more? I might be interested in some
            >> more, but I too would like to see them complete if you are planning on
            >> using surfacemount components, as I have no way to build such a board.

            Surface mount components are a lot easier than you might think to hand
            assemble. The hardest part is not losing the components. :)

            Really fine pitch IC's are probably a bit hard, but DIP IC's dont need
            the "bend-to-fit, insert, bend again to hold while you turn over, solder,
            cut, pickup cut leads" process that through-hole discretes do anyway, so I'd
            stay with a DIP for the Micro and SMD for the discretes. no Board flipping
            with components falling out for SMD's either.

            A pair of tweezers, a magnifying lamp (if you arent short-sighted - I am, so I
            can see them fine) and you're away. Give it a go sometime, I use SMD
            discretes for all my prototype's constructed on donut board now - it makes
            assembly so much faster and neater.

            Another idea *if* you are doing a board redesign - maybe run some wide
            edge-connector style tracks to each edge of the board with the data-in,
            data-out lines flipped appropriately so if you are mounting the boards all
            next to each other (most likely), then you can just bridge links (perhaps the
            cut-off through-hole leads - ;) ) from one board to the other to link them
            together and then you dont need to spend ages making all the inter-board
            connector cables.

            Multiplexing probably isnt worthwhile with the cost of the micros being so
            cheap.
            Message 5 of 12 , May 14, 2008
              A redesign using SMD will reduce the partcount a bit.
              Use driver IC's (high voltage ULN2003 version)
              These contain 7 drivers. So 2x 16 pin IC's and one transistor will do the
              trick.
              I'm not sure if "base-resistors" are needed. If so, there's SMD-Arrays for
              this too.
              But it may cost a bit more and won't be a lot less work.
              The end result may even be the same size as through-hole components.
              All in all, some work and questionable improvement.

              Still, I would be willing to make a redesign.

              BR/
              Guus Assmann

              Message 6 of 12 , May 15, 2008
                --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, Brett Paulin <yahoogroups@...>
                wrote:

                Thanks for the input over SMD components, I really must get myself to
                do something about it. I think i just use through hole because it is
                still readily available, but would like to try some SMD before it
                becomes compulsory !

                > Another idea *if* you are doing a board redesign - maybe run some
                wide
                > edge-connector style tracks to each edge of the board with the data-
                in,
                > data-out lines flipped appropriately so if you are mounting the
                boards all
                > next to each other (most likely), then you can just bridge links
                (perhaps the
                > cut-off through-hole leads - ;) ) from one board to the other to
                link them
                > together and then you dont need to spend ages making all the inter-
                board
                > connector cables.

                Edge connectors on the side ? Great idea !
                I guess I would need to make the tracks across the board which join
                the edges larger than normal if somebody wanted to make a very large
                array of them and hoped to pass all signals and voltages through
                every edge connector ?

                What would be the best track size here ? ' As large as can be made to
                fit in the space allowed ' I suppose ?