Re: Is anyone interested in a group purchase scheme ?

    Message 1 of 12 , May 13, 2008
      There are some instructions already in the files section Ray,
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/smartsockets/files/%2CB7971/

      Although there are no pictures in this version. I did a more detailed
      assembly instruction set for the ZM1350. I could easily add to the
      B7971 instructions, but it's all just a question of getting the time
      to do it at the moment.

      Chris

      --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, Ray Fenwick <ray@...> wrote:

      > (Please excuse the double posting from Neonixie-L)
      >
      > Hi Chris
      >
      > I reckon I'd be ok to make up the boards with decent instructions
      and
      > the
      > components there. I've made a Nixie clock from a kit ( Laurence
      > Wilkins'
      > NixIIe, no less), but put it in a custom enclosure with a dekatron
      > spinner
      > and internal mains transformer rather than the wall-wart. (Note to
      > self -
      > upload a picture to the group...) :)
      >
      > The problem would come from my lack of knowledge (and therefore
      > confidence) in obtaining the correct components, or having to work
      out
      > how/where things go myself.
      >
      > Of course it is a great way to learn, but my budget doesn't allow
      it :(

      > If a smartsocket's kit was available on eBay (for example) I'd
      > certainly be
      > buying some, but as it is I think I need to do a couple more
      builds
      > before
      > I tackle a "find all the bits yourself and work it out" project!
      >
      > Ray
      > On 12 May 2008, at 22:33, Chris wrote:
      >
      > > Would anyone be interested in getting some B7971 PCB's ?
      > > If there was enough demand I am sure that one of use could get a
      batch
      > > of boards made up. If you are interested just reply to this
      message,
      > > or
      > > send me an email if you wish to remain anonymous, and if there is
      > > enough interest shown in the next couple of weeks we can get some
      more
      > > boards made.
      > >
      > > Chris

    • marc_bury
      Message 2 of 12 , May 13, 2008
        --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <fixitsan@...> wrote:

        > Would anyone be interested in getting some B7971 PCB's ?
        > Chris

        Hi Chris, that is a great idea !

        As a matter of fact, I tried to contact Onno Tromop in Nederlands
        (http://www.tromop.eu/) since he proposes PCB based on your design,
        as well as programmed PICs and kits of PCB pins to handle the B7971.
        I particularly like the kit with 6 PCBs, 6 PICs and 6 kits of pins.

        So this is really a suggestion: if you organize the making of
        smartsocket PCBs, why not also porpose bunch of pins and even
        programmed PICs for others ?

        BR,
        Marc
      • Owen Rubin
        Message 3 of 12 , May 13, 2008
          Per my previous request for getting boards made, one user in this forum did
          post that he was getting more made and people who wanted them could contact
          him.

          Are we talking about making more? I might be interested in some more, but I
          too would like to see them complete if you are planning on using surface
          mount components, as I have no way to build such a board. If normal
          component type, then a board and a programmed PIC should be included, as
          some of us are not so handy programming the pics, and I agree, a completely
          stuffed board tested, and a complete kit would make great eBay items, which
          I am happy to set up auctions for if someone builds enough.

          Cheers,
          -Owen-
          Message 4 of 12 , May 13, 2008
            --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, "marc_bury" <marc_bury@...>
            wrote:

            > --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <fixitsan@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Would anyone be interested in getting some B7971 PCB's ?
            > > Chris
            > >

            > Hi Chris, that is a great idea !
            >
            > As a matter of fact, I tried to contact Onno Tromop in Nederlands
            > (http://www.tromop.eu/) since he proposes PCB based on your design,
            > as well as programmed PICs and kits of PCB pins to handle the B7971.
            > I particularly like the kit with 6 PCBs, 6 PICs and 6 kits of pins.
            >
            > So this is really a suggestion: if you organize the making of
            > smartsocket PCBs, why not also porpose bunch of pins and even
            > programmed PICs for others ?
            >
            > BR,
            > Marc

            I suppose that is not too difficult at all. The only issue I have is
            with cost. If there is only a small amount of interest then the price
            is high. This makes them unnatractive to more people at a time when
            it would be useful to have more people interested to get the prices
            down. I certainly wouldn't expect to ask for money up front.

            I'll look into it, I might be able to pay up front for a small
            surplus of boards to be made, but as has been pointed out Onno Tromop
            may well be the best bet, his board house can do re-runs easily as
            far as I know. It all depends if Onno has the time to do this, should
            we talk about this off-list Onno ?

            It has been suggested a number of times that a kit similar to what
            you have suggested should be made available. It's not great knowing
            that people want to make these but can't foot the bill for a small
            run of boards, hence the reason behind the group purpose idea.

            Message 5 of 12 , May 14, 2008
              --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, Owen Rubin <orubin@...> wrote:

              > Per my previous request for getting boards made, one user in this
              forum did
              > post that he was getting more made and people who wanted them could
              contact
              > him.
              >
              > Are we talking about making more? I might be interested in some
              more, but I
              > too would like to see them complete if you are planning on using
              surface
              > mount components, as I have no way to build such a board. If normal
              > component type, then a board and a programmed PIC should be
              included, as
              > some of us are not so handy programming the pics, and I agree, a
              completely
              > stuffed board tested, and a complete kit would make great eBay
              items, which
              > I am happy to set up auctions for if someone builds enough.
              >
              > Cheers,
              > -Owen-

              The issue I have is that construction of a socket was taking me over
              30 minutes per socket when making batches of ten. The demand doesn't
              seem to be high enough to warrant construction costs. One board house
              quoted me a price for making and stuffing boards which would have
              made them slightly more expensive than the prices I charged, but not
              by much , if I ordered fifty.

              Another way to make them more cost effective is to make boards which
              drive more than one tube. The next easiest would be a 2-tube socket,
              with one larger microcontroller driving both tubes. Alternatively a 4-
              tube display would also be more cost effective.

              The units could be made to work exactly the same as single sockets so
              singles, doubles and quads could probably be mixed together in any
              combination. It would mean quite a serious re-write of software but
              thats the part I really enjoy. I suspect I could make these dispalys
              multiplexed, which would reduce parts count.

              An issue with multiplexing is that some of the effects are processor
              intensive and it may not be possible to get the smoothest
              transitions, but a double could be made with one controller, direct
              drive which negates that issue.

              This is something I need to do some work on, but I am wondering if
              anyone had any interest in this idea because most people are making
              two, four and six tube displays and therefore there seems to be a
              logic in making sockets for even numbers of tubes.

              I'ld be interested to hear anyone's thoughts.

              Chris
            • Brett Paulin
              Message 6 of 12 , May 14, 2008
                >> Are we talking about making more? I might be interested in some
                >> more, but I too would like to see them complete if you are planning on
                >> using surfacemount components, as I have no way to build such a board.

                Surface mount components are a lot easier than you might think to hand
                assemble. The hardest part is not losing the components. :)

                Really fine pitch IC's are probably a bit hard, but DIP IC's dont need
                the "bend-to-fit, insert, bend again to hold while you turn over, solder,
                cut, pickup cut leads" process that through-hole discretes do anyway, so I'd
                stay with a DIP for the Micro and SMD for the discretes. no Board flipping
                with components falling out for SMD's either.

                A pair of tweezers, a magnifying lamp (if you arent short-sighted - I am, so I
                can see them fine) and you're away. Give it a go sometime, I use SMD
                discretes for all my prototype's constructed on donut board now - it makes
                assembly so much faster and neater.

                Another idea *if* you are doing a board redesign - maybe run some wide
                edge-connector style tracks to each edge of the board with the data-in,
                data-out lines flipped appropriately so if you are mounting the boards all
                next to each other (most likely), then you can just bridge links (perhaps the
                cut-off through-hole leads - ;) ) from one board to the other to link them
                together and then you dont need to spend ages making all the inter-board
                connector cables.

                Multiplexing probably isnt worthwhile with the cost of the micros being so
                cheap.
                Message 7 of 12 , May 14, 2008
                  A redesign using SMD will reduce the partcount a bit.
                  Use driver IC's (high voltage ULN2003 version)
                  These contain 7 drivers. So 2x 16 pin IC's and one transistor will do the
                  trick.
                  I'm not sure if "base-resistors" are needed. If so, there's SMD-Arrays for
                  this too.
                  But it may cost a bit more and won't be a lot less work.
                  The end result may even be the same size as through-hole components.
                  All in all, some work and questionable improvement.

                  Still, I would be willing to make a redesign.

                  BR/
                  Guus Assmann

                  Message 8 of 12 , May 15, 2008
                    --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, Brett Paulin <yahoogroups@...>
                    wrote:

                    Thanks for the input over SMD components, I really must get myself to
                    do something about it. I think i just use through hole because it is
                    still readily available, but would like to try some SMD before it
                    becomes compulsory !

                    > Another idea *if* you are doing a board redesign - maybe run some
                    wide
                    > edge-connector style tracks to each edge of the board with the data-
                    in,
                    > data-out lines flipped appropriately so if you are mounting the
                    boards all
                    > next to each other (most likely), then you can just bridge links
                    (perhaps the
                    > cut-off through-hole leads - ;) ) from one board to the other to
                    link them
                    > together and then you dont need to spend ages making all the inter-
                    board
                    > connector cables.

                    Edge connectors on the side ? Great idea !
                    I guess I would need to make the tracks across the board which join
                    the edges larger than normal if somebody wanted to make a very large
                    array of them and hoped to pass all signals and voltages through
                    every edge connector ?

                    What would be the best track size here ? ' As large as can be made to
                    fit in the space allowed ' I suppose ?