Re: [smartsockets] smartsockets are here!

  • fixitsan@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 20, 2006
      Hi, nice to hear from you again !

      Well the best starting point would the smartsocket group files section. If you check the connections for the 5 pin connector you will be able to wire up the sockets and they will be ready to work.
      the schematic for the 2 tube clock is also in the files section, this is the reason I also sent the other components, to make a finished 2 tube clock.

      I made a somment in a previous message about a missing resistor. if you have a variable supply set it to 170V and install a link at the resistor position. You can recognise it by two empty solder pads just in front of the edge connector, and below the silkscreen lettering for transistor 'T1'

      All you need to do is to make the circuit for the two tube clock in accordance with the schematic in the group's files section, and then connect the data out to the right tube's 'data in' pin. Then the data out from this socket feeds the left tube's data in pin. As long as the sockets have 5V DC for the logic components the whole system should burst into life.

      If you don't want to make the two tube clock you can simply feed the first tube in the chain some ascii characters from a PC using Hyperterminal, or a similar communications package. You will possibly need to also make a simple interface using a ' MAX232' I.C. which will make a robust and reliable link between the pc and the sockets.

      I had an email recently from somebody who made the mistake of putting 170V on the 5V supply line on the socket PCB with disasterous results. i dn't think there is much room for error when you look at the schematic, but it's worth taking an extra moment just to be sure you don't have the same problem.

      Please let me know if you have any further problems or want to make any comments,
      Best Regards