Betr: [smartsockets] Re: 2 tube clock with PIC16F88

    Message 1 of 52 , May 5, 2008

      > IT WORKS !!!
      > First thing I did was set the program-word 1 to the setting you
      mentioned.
      > When I started the boards, there was a reaction to the button.
      > And rotating the selector does (and already did) select menu items.
      > Pushing the button now may have two effects, nothing happens or the
      menu
      > item is activated.
      > While setting the clock, it's the same, nothing or reaction.
      > The nothing is probably when one of the switches in the selector is
      still
      > closed. Because if I rotate it just enough, the button works fine.
      >
      > I have used Farnell part 935-4034 for encoder.
      > This is a 6 cycle bourns part 3315Y-001 OD&L
      > I may add a couple of LED's to show the encoder outputs.
      > Or get the right type of encoder.

      That's good news. My encoders also are idling at '00', according to
      the datasheet, but in reality there is backlash and play on the shaft
      and selectors, which means that even in a detent position you can get
      a variable output. The trick I employed to deal with this was not to
      check for transitions from '00' to '01' or to '10', but instead to
      check for changes between '11' and the positions on either side. This
      meant that I was able to work around variability problems in the
      detent position.

      In software, a button press takes priority over a rotation of the
      encoder (if I remember rightly). I made the button response
      deliberately slow to filter out any accidental pushes, which can
      sometimes occur when you rotate the shaft of the encoders I use, due
      to low spring rates on the switch mechanism

      > On the processor, I think selecting HS instead of XT did the
      trick...

      > I now also have a suggestion for a nice addition to the clock.
      > What if the output from the last smartsocket is returned to the
      clock-processor.
      > This would mean that the clock "knows" how many smartsockets are
      present.
      > Thus, it can automatically use the correct number of display
      positions.
      > Can also be used for an X-letter-word.

      I think I've written something along those lines at the end of the
      manual. The last socket still outputs the last position from the data-
      out pin, and this can give the indication of how many tubes are in
      the array back to the MCU, as you said.

      This feature is something I wanted to build in because I could
      foresee several other uses for that type of function, and have
      recently started to build a high capacity battery management system
      which uses the same Smartsocket code in it's elemental identification
      routine !

      > Thanks for the patience.
      > And explaining a bit more on how the software works, was a big help.
      >
      > Now, all I have left to do is set my B7179-Sockets right...

      And then some photos for the photos section, hopefully !!!
      Message 52 of 52 , Aug 23, 2008

        > Just now I realise that I forgot to inform you.
        > During my holliday, I had some more time and finally managed to get
        the programm
        > correct. So now, the smartsocket with the B7179 on my PCB also works
        fine.
        > I'll make some more, to get all 7 tubes working.

        Guus, Thanks for the update.

        I haven't been getting the time to do what I need to do either !