Betr: [smartsockets] Re: 2 tube clock with PIC16F88

    Message 1 of 52 , May 1, 2008

      > Concerning the smartsocket for the 7179, I am sure I messed up.
      > I cannot find out how or why I made the connections between the
      processor
      > and the tube as I did.
      > All transistors are connected to actual segments of the tube and
      have the
      > right resistor.
      > But the connections to the processor? I don't know.
      > The only thing I didn't check yet is if there's a different
      schamatic in
      > a doc-file.
      >
      > And the 16F88 clock. Hasn't it been build by someone?
      > That seems odd, as many smartsockets have been build.
      > What's used to drive them? (I have 7 x B7179 an 6 x ZM1350)
      >
      > BR,
      > Guus
      >
      > Once we stop learing, we can just as well die....
      > The only problem with work is that it consumes a lot of spare
      (free) time...

      Yes, and if it isn't the time spent at work, it is also the time we
      spend recovering from it too !

      As far as I know nobody else except me has made the 2-tube clock.
      Most people are driving the smartsockets with their own programmed
      controllers, or PC interfaces. I've also use a Psion PDA, the 3a and
      5MX (good old days, they were good then and they're still good now if
      you don't mind black and white displays !)

      John Smout used a PIC for the clock on this group's mainpage,
      displaying 'LOVE' (I have yet to add a 'G' in front and an 'S' after
      it to spell 'GLOVES'.

      Matt Gorbett made a popular word sculpture using.....ummmm....think
      it was aPIC, but I may well be wrong because I recall a discussion
      about the workings, perhaps he used an Atmel. Here's his sculpture
      http://picasaweb.google.com/mgorbet/FromMeToYou (there's an
      entertaining video of that somewhere, people were getting very
      involved in it)

      There is a different schematic for the ZM1350 and B7971 sockets, the
      differences are the values of cathode resistors, and more importantly
      the pinout from the controller to the transistors is different. I
      designed the schematic to suit the boards, and I laid out the boards
      for the shortest and most compact trace routing to suit the dispays.

      I'll do what I can for the two tube clock, I won't forget about it.
      Do you program yourself ?
      Message 52 of 52 , Aug 23, 2008

        > Just now I realise that I forgot to inform you.
        > During my holliday, I had some more time and finally managed to get
        the programm
        > correct. So now, the smartsocket with the B7179 on my PCB also works
        fine.
        > I'll make some more, to get all 7 tubes working.

        Guus, Thanks for the update.

        I haven't been getting the time to do what I need to do either !