Re: UDC segment editor uploaded to smartsockets

    Message 1 of 107 , Sep 23, 2006
      --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, whoop@... wrote:

      > I have uploaded a Filemaker Pro UDC segment editor to the files
      > section. This creates the necessary user-defined character
      > definitions for insertion into PicBasic, but should be editable to
      > whatever text you need for your use.
      >
      > I decided to follow the ascii order for my characters, but
      starting
      > at at the first location, 59, for the space character, ie an
      offset
      > of 27 from character 32. Thus I add 27 to the ascii value when I
      send
      > it to the smart sockets.
      >
      > The editor is reasonably graphic, all you have to do is click the
      > segments on and off on the screen for each character.
      >
      > I designed it on a Mac, but it should work on the Windows version
      > too. A 30 day free trial of Filemaker Pro is available from:
      > <http://www.filemaker.com/support/downloads/index.html>
      >
      > Best wishes,
      >
      > John

      Thanks John, I've just got my free time back now my car restoration
      project is complete.....Just tonight i have begun looking into UDC's
      and ought to be able to make all ascii characters definable, as much
      as there is free memory for at least, and you will be able to
      reprogram the numbers digits from ascii 48 onwards.

      I recalled the reason I wasn't brave enough to allow it before....I
      thought if you could reprogram a numerical digit you could end up in
      a situation where you can't send commands to the sockets which make
      any sense if you had reprogrammed the characters needed to give the
      commands in the first place.....

      Now, because the instruction character is stored in it's raw format
      and is never itself changed the locked out problem can't occur. When
      a call to a UDC is made the segment pattern to be displayed is
      converted in realtime and stored in a buffer, but again the original
      instruction character remains unchanged.

      A display instruction will force the controller to read in the digit
      to be displayed and if appropriate the code will convert it to a UDC,
      and if a command instruction is used the UDC code is bypassed and the
      command data is read from the raw data buffer.

      Easy when you forget how !
    • smartsockets@yahoogroups.com
      Message 107 of 107 , Feb 12
        Hello,

        a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the smartsockets
        group.

        File : /John's clock/B-7971 smart sockets rev 15 Guus.pbp
        Uploaded by : guusassmann2000 <guus.assmann@...>
        Description : Changed code for 5 and 6 letter words

        You can access this file at the URL:

        Regards,

        guusassmann2000 <guus.assmann@...>