Re: B-7971 Clock

    Message 1 of 52 , Sep 12, 2007
      --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, Quixotic Nixotic <nixotic1@...>
      wrote:

      > On 12 Sep 2007, at 14:07, Chris wrote:
      >
      > > Dimming of the digits at night to save those tubes
      > >
      > Does dimming really save the tubes that much? Or does it simply lead
      > to cathode poisoning?

      That's a good point actually.

      I think if the dimming is done by duty cycle and not by voltage control
      then any poisoning would be less, but it is too difficult to say if it
      goes away completely, there is too little information covering the
      subject

      I have remembered that what I have done with the two tube clock in te
      files section is to create an on-off timer, which you could set to
      blank the tubes a 1am and bring them back on at 7am, which I think is a
      better way to go. Also in that clock if the user turns the control knob
      the tubes come back on for 2 minutes or so.

      In an earlier clock I just let the user turn he tubes on and off as
      required by turnin the control knob, which was a rotary encoder with
      detents avery 15degrees. One click and they were off, another click and
      they came back on.

      Message 52 of 52 , Aug 23 2:32 AM

        > Just now I realise that I forgot to inform you.
        > During my holliday, I had some more time and finally managed to get
        the programm
        > correct. So now, the smartsocket with the B7179 on my PCB also works
        fine.
        > I'll make some more, to get all 7 tubes working.

        Guus, Thanks for the update.

        I haven't been getting the time to do what I need to do either !