Re: B-7971 Clock

    Message 1 of 52 , Sep 12 6:07 AM
      --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, "Charles Keiser" <ckeiser10@...>
      wrote:

      > Thanks Chris and John for the quick reply. I guess if I had my choice
      > of features on a clock, I would like to use six digits for time. Word
      > display is not as important to me. I have taken a clock board from
      > Tube Hobby and interfaced it to one of the cheap GPS boards on Ebay.
      > This makes it nice when the electricity goes out here. I would also
      > like to have battery backup on the clock. Dimming of the digits at
      > night to save those tubes as well as an alarm would be nice also.
      > Don't know if I've ask for too much but any help would be appreciated.
      >
      > Thanks
      >
      > Chuck

      Chuck, I might be able to do something with that list.

      I made a self-setting nixie clock from a GPS mounted in my loft, and a
      small low power radio receiver in the clock which received the rehashed
      gps time output which was itself being transmitted over the short range
      radio link. Adding an alarm isn't the toughest job.
      Dimming is something I'm not sure how to achieve with the smartsockets
      because they run at full brightness all the time except where effects
      are under way. Maybe there's a way to put a brightness control in there
      somewhere,. That's not quite so easy. The easiest way to dim the tubes
      would be to have an HV power supply which has two output levels. A
      simple circuit could switch in a resistor ni the feedback system, if
      you have a switched mode supply. If you were using back to back
      transformers then maybe if the second transformer had dual secondary
      windings you could switch one in and out in parallel with the main one
      to alter the output.

      Battery backup comes hand in hand with GPS usually, but I've made a few
      clocks with battery backup already.

      I wonder if anyone else has any thoughts
      Message 52 of 52 , Aug 23, 2008

        > Just now I realise that I forgot to inform you.
        > During my holliday, I had some more time and finally managed to get
        the programm
        > correct. So now, the smartsocket with the B7179 on my PCB also works
        fine.
        > I'll make some more, to get all 7 tubes working.

        Guus, Thanks for the update.

        I haven't been getting the time to do what I need to do either !