965Re: Using IV-17 smartsocket with usb>ttl adapter

    Dec 15, 2012
      --- In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, "julietmikebravo" <johanboonstra@...> wrote:

      > Thanks for the support.
      >
      > I more or less understand the way the SS is controlled now, but I think the problem is with my computer.
      >
      > I use the Linux command "echo" to send the data to a USB serial port. That goes like this:
      >
      > echo -ne "V" > /dev/ttyUSB1
      >
      > This works, version number pops up. If I want I can clear the screen with the MC command.
      >
      > However, when sending more complex stuff it fails. With echo you can send ASCII, hex, octal, whatever. Hex is send by defining the byte with the \ escape character and the hex number, like:
      >
      > echo -ne "\x4D\x53\x02\x48\x49" > /dev/ttyUSB1
      >
      > This should send MD<2>HI. Still, no response.
      >
      > I think I am going to hook up my Arduino to it and try to send commands from there, I can't trust Linux, echo and a CP2102 USB-TTL adapter to do this properly it seems.

      Is this any good ?
      http://stackoverflow.com/questions/602912/how-do-you-echo-a-4-digit-unicode-character-in-bash

      It looks like you're doing it correctlye (no doubt :) )....but there is mention of setting the language of your shell correctly.

      I've never had to get so involved with Linux unfortunately
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic