696Re: IV-17 SS kinda working!

    May 18, 2011
      Hi Chris,

      Thanks for the explanation on the reasons behind the use of dec/hex in the commands and the details of the message scrolling commands, working very nicely now.

      Tried the freq pot while the duty cycle pot was set to 50%, no change to the output freq. I am using linear pots, so the middle is in the middle!

      Another thing I would like to get working is the decimal points. Any chance of a schematic for wiring them up, or an updated schematic of the IV-17 smartsocket for the manual?

      Much appreciated.

      > Thanks for the update Simon.
      >
      > Sending those numbers in deciaml is the only way to give control of large displays. for upto 10 tubes then we can use ascii characters 0-9, but after that, to send '11' for example, requires another byte of data. The alternatives are to either use decimal , allowing up to 255 tubes to be addressed, or use comma delimiting again. Sending decimal/hex values takes the least amount of processing time which seemed impoortant as that processing is done during an interrupt and display aberations were always going to be a risk if processing took too long.
      >
      > I have updated the manual to cover the points yoiu have raised and have copied the relevant scroll command instructions from it here.
      >
      > I cannot say why the pwm frequency is not changing because I haven't been back to my breadboard yet, but from what I recall my Fluke77 was showing a good range of frequency when I turned the relevant pot. I'll look into it, but it might be worth checking that when yoiu change the frequency, in order to get an accurate reading the duty cycle should be about 50% to start with. If you are using logarithmic pots 50% duty cycle is quite a way off to one end of travel.
      >
      > Anyway, here's the scrolling instruction. please let me know how yoiu get on with, thanks.

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic