1108RE: Re: [smartsockets] RE: chipKIT Pi Technical Datasheet - Newark or element14

    Oct 9, 2013

       That's very true Rich, you do get the sense of being 'on the shoulders of giants' to have been given access and control of this very flexible collection of hardware and software. Program development is much a case of 'find the answer' as opposed to 'figure out the solution' because to be able to learn all of the intricacies of all different aspects of this equipment's hardware and software would take years of learning.

      I'll be giving full credit to the RPF for being so forward thinking when assembling the project, and I do get a feel for how the intention to make this an educational device have been funneled into it.

      I've hod a little previous experience with Unix on SunSparc workstations and bespoke equipment by Xerox, but it still all feels a bit new, which I'm enjoying.

      If anyone is further interested you could do worse than investigating the PSL, Python Standard Library and looking at what modules are available. These modules are akin to software libraries in any other language and are very complete.

      http://docs.python.org/2/library/

      Chris

      ---In smartsockets@yahoogroups.com, <smartsockets@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      What Chris is doing is a result of years of development of the Linux platform and related open-source software.  The Raspberry PI just made the Linux environment available on a cheap, small hardware platform.  You could do the same thing (other than the GPIOs) on any PC with a Linux install if you want to get started without buying a RasPI.

      Rich

      On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 at 7:07 AM, Jon Jackson <jondaddio@...> wrote:

      Sounds great Chris.

      I haven't yet taken the Pi plunge, but you are making it sound very attractive.  I guess there's a reason it has taken off like it has.

      Jon

      On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 at 3:03 AM, <fixitsan@...> wrote:

      I'm finding it pretty interesting to be honest Jon.

      I've been merrily loading different webservers onto my Pi just to check them out. Lastnight's choice was 'Lighttpd' (as used by Youtube !) and it just worked immediately after install with no setting up.

      The level of support for the Pi is outstanding, in terms of software/code snippets and particularly the helpfulness of folks on the forums at the Raspberry Pi Foundation.

      My most difficult task with every problem is figuring out how to word the enquiry for the forums such that an expert pops up on the forums and talks me through it, or what to type into a search engine to get good quality results.

      Typically, the more yoiu ask the more yoiu learn the more yoiu realise there is lots you don't know.

      So far, I've been checking if my idea will work by testing each part of the project on it's own....making sure I can run a python script automatically on startup for example, or making sure I can easily read a file off a USB stick, or make the web server boot automatically. All of these parts seem to be working just fine, now I just need to cook up the glue to get them working together.

      I can see more of my microcontroller projects getting a Raspberry Pi (or whatever comes afterwards) front end in the future !

      Chris

      That's fine.  I figured you might have seen it...just wanted to be sure.  Thanks for all of your hard work on this.

      Cheers!

      Jon

      On Tue, Oct 8, 2013 at 1:01 PM, <fixitsan@...> wrote:

      Thanks Jon, that caught my eye a couple of weeks ago and so I looked more closely at it, to realise that the idea is to replace a laptop/pc/mac as the physical development device/environment, and replace it with a Raspberry Pi.

      It's a neat idea, but as no part of this project is going to be using the Arduino it isn't required.

      I might come back later and make an Arduino version, but the way prices are going at the moment the Pi is just a lot more bang for the buck in comparison to an Arduino. The Arduino has some advantages in terms of ease of use perhaps, and gives you realtime event handling (more difficult with the Pi), but a lot of the features to do with programming the RSS reader via a laptop over wifi would be extremely difficult to do with Arduino. But the Pi has the hardware/software support to just start it going.

      Chris

      Chris,

      I found the new chipKIT Pi today.  I know you were trying out the Arduino and now the Pi for the RSS feed project, and this lets you program in Arduino using the MPIDE environment.  Another option anyway.

      Cheers,

      Jon

      Reference:

      Here is some info I found:

      Price was $28 from Newark for those of us in the U.S. (plus the cost of a Pi).

      chipKIT™ Pi (designed for Raspberry Pi) is the latest Arduino™ compatible chipKIT™ platform from Microchip and element14.  It features a 32-bit PIC32 microcontroller in a prototyping-friendly, low pin count SPDIP package.  The PIC32's performance, memory, and integrated peripherals allow users to create applications including touch sensing, audio processing, and advanced control.  The board is supported by the free chipKIT™Multi-Platform IDE (MPIDE) that can be hosted on the Raspberry Pi.

      Features:
      • Designed exclusively for the Raspberry Pi and Arduino ecosystems
      • Features a Microchip 32-bit PIC32 microcontroller (MCU) in a prototyping-friendly, low pin count SPDIP package
      • Supports the chipKIT™ Multi-Platform IDE (MPIDE)
      • MPIDE is open source and compatible with the Arduino programming language and development environment
      • Allows users to create, compile and program Arduino sketch-based chipKIT™ applications within the Raspberry Pi operating system
      • Enables the development of 3.3V Arduino compatible applications for the Raspberry Pi using a PIC32 MCU

    • Show all 10 messages in this topic