1106Re: [smartsockets] RE: chipKIT Pi Technical Datasheet - Newark or element14

  • michailrw
    Oct 9, 2013
      I bought one unit - Heck, it was only $40
      I think everyone wants a single chip board that does a specific task like a pic or arduino.

      Arduino is about $30
      Entire Linux computer is $40  (heh)

      I used an arduino, added a network sheild, relay, tilt sensor and then had a device I could open/close/get status of my garage door.  Very nice compact unit.  Very basic website on it.

      I first my first RPi to run a test web server.  First thing was to duplicate the above.  It was far cheaper (network already there), and since it was a computer, I was able to remote in, change the webpage(s), etc.  I mention is was cheaper too?

      Now, can run xmbc on it for, setup as a TOR browser, and a Torrent downloader.
      Now, I use them with LCD panels for Bitcoin mining.  Next is a test project with making a cluster.

      It's a computer.  Not a simple microprocessor.

      Michail Wilson
      206-920-6312

      In a message dated 10/9/2013 4:33:31 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time, fixitsan@... writes:

      I got one of the first ones last year, but sold it on quickly to pay for a car expense. I switched it on, didn't know what to do with it and then sold it.

      This time around things are very different and I think it's because I have an application in mind already. My problem solving process is following an iterative route .. "Can I make it do this ? ...." and it usually can.

      Just switching it on, surfing the net with it and switching it off again only just scrapes the surface. I think unless you are already a Linux fan or a Python programmer you'll be lost without having a goal in mind,, and what I've found so far is that when trying to tackle a small hurdle there are usually several solutions.

      Having said all that, I still don't have a working application to back up anything I might have said so far !