1101Re: [smartsockets] RE: chipKIT Pi Technical Datasheet - Newark or element14

  • Jon Jackson
    Oct 8, 2013
      That's fine.  I figured you might have seen it...just wanted to be sure.  Thanks for all of your hard work on this.

      Cheers!

      Jon

      On Tue, Oct 8, 2013 at 1:01 PM, <fixitsan@...> wrote:

      Thanks Jon, that caught my eye a couple of weeks ago and so I looked more closely at it, to realise that the idea is to replace a laptop/pc/mac as the physical development device/environment, and replace it with a Raspberry Pi.

      It's a neat idea, but as no part of this project is going to be using the Arduino it isn't required.

      I might come back later and make an Arduino version, but the way prices are going at the moment the Pi is just a lot more bang for the buck in comparison to an Arduino. The Arduino has some advantages in terms of ease of use perhaps, and gives you realtime event handling (more difficult with the Pi), but a lot of the features to do with programming the RSS reader via a laptop over wifi would be extremely difficult to do with Arduino. But the Pi has the hardware/software support to just start it going.

      Chris

      Chris,

      I found the new chipKIT Pi today.  I know you were trying out the Arduino and now the Pi for the RSS feed project, and this lets you program in Arduino using the MPIDE environment.  Another option anyway.

      Cheers,

      Jon

      Reference:

      Here is some info I found:

      Price was $28 from Newark for those of us in the U.S. (plus the cost of a Pi).

      chipKIT™ Pi (designed for Raspberry Pi) is the latest Arduino™ compatible chipKIT™ platform from Microchip and element14.  It features a 32-bit PIC32 microcontroller in a prototyping-friendly, low pin count SPDIP package.  The PIC32's performance, memory, and integrated peripherals allow users to create applications including touch sensing, audio processing, and advanced control.  The board is supported by the free chipKIT™Multi-Platform IDE (MPIDE) that can be hosted on the Raspberry Pi.

      Features:
      • Designed exclusively for the Raspberry Pi and Arduino ecosystems
      • Features a Microchip 32-bit PIC32 microcontroller (MCU) in a prototyping-friendly, low pin count SPDIP package
      • Supports the chipKIT™ Multi-Platform IDE (MPIDE)
      • MPIDE is open source and compatible with the Arduino programming language and development environment
      • Allows users to create, compile and program Arduino sketch-based chipKIT™ applications within the Raspberry Pi operating system
      • Enables the development of 3.3V Arduino compatible applications for the Raspberry Pi using a PIC32 MCU

    • Show all 10 messages in this topic