Face plates & back plates Mld A et al

  • richardandnovo
    Message 1 of 22 , Jan 6, 2009
      Good evening chaps,
      Further to Mike's recent request on this subject and a
      couple of other contacts I had, I am trying to collate a
      list of those who would be interested in back plates face
      plates.

      Back plates should be relatively easy and I hope at the
      prices I suggested earlier (4/5/6" £33/37/42) as long as the
      Chronos castings are meaty enough in the middle.

      If interest is adequate, I may arrange to collect a number
      of blanks at the ME Ex at AP.

      Faceplates are another issue. Given Noman's comment that the
      boss in the CES casting is too small for comfort, I am
      talking to a local foundry who my be helpful, but I have no
      details yet, but as Mark pointed out there's a lot more
      machineing in a faceplate.

      Rgds Richard
    • mark
      Message 2 of 22 , Jan 6, 2009
        --- In smart_and_brown_lathes@yahoogroups.com, "richardandnovo"
        <airforce@...> wrote:

        > Good evening chaps,
        > Further to Mike's recent request on this subject and a
        > couple of other contacts I had, I am trying to collate a
        > list of those who would be interested in back plates face
        > plates.
        >
        > Back plates should be relatively easy and I hope at the
        > prices I suggested earlier (4/5/6" £33/37/42) as long as the
        > Chronos castings are meaty enough in the middle.
        >
        > If interest is adequate, I may arrange to collect a number
        > of blanks at the ME Ex at AP.
        >
        > Faceplates are another issue. Given Noman's comment that the
        > boss in the CES casting is too small for comfort, I am
        > talking to a local foundry who my be helpful, but I have no
        > details yet, but as Mark pointed out there's a lot more
        > machineing in a faceplate.
        >
        > Rgds Richard

        There are myford face plates on ebay £29...1 1/8 x 12 tpi

        There may be enough meat to open them out to the 1 and 3/4 the smart
        and brown needs...

        Have a look 9 inch one ebay item 370135694305
        also available in 7 inch

        all the best.markj
      • mark
        Message 3 of 22 , Jan 6, 2009
          btw

          myford owners are fussy buggers ...i have read in the myford forums
          that several have sent stuff back because of slightly sloppy fits ..
          maybe rdg has a stock pile of un-sellable sloppy ones and you may get
          them cheap .

          all the best.markj
        • leasingham_connelly
          Message 4 of 22 , Jan 7, 2009
            <airforce@...> wrote:

            > Good evening chaps,
            > Further to Mike's recent request on this subject and a
            > couple of other contacts I had, I am trying to collate a
            > list of those who would be interested in back plates face
            > plates.
            >
            > Back plates should be relatively easy and I hope at the
            > prices I suggested earlier (4/5/6" £33/37/42) as long as the
            > Chronos castings are meaty enough in the middle.
            >
            > If interest is adequate, I may arrange to collect a number
            > of blanks at the ME Ex at AP.
            >
            > Faceplates are another issue. Given Noman's comment that the
            > boss in the CES casting is too small for comfort, I am
            > talking to a local foundry who my be helpful, but I have no
            > details yet, but as Mark pointed out there's a lot more
            > machineing in a faceplate.
            >
            > Rgds Richard

            Two things spring to mind with regards making these items for other
            people's machines.

            1) Just form the thread and let buyers do the boring to fit their
            machine. That way if the register is worn it will not be a sloppy
            fit if made to nominal size. It is easy to mount a threaded item on
            in reverse to ensure the register is aligned with the pre-cut
            thread, it does not need to go over the spindle register for a one
            off mounting. A piece of pipe can be used to give a positive stop to
            thread the workpiece up to. The accurate register is for
            repeatability of mounting.

            2) For face plates supply the smallest backplate with a separate
            piece of flat plate. Make the small backplate into a spigoted hub
            and then mount the plate to it. Backplates can be machined by the
            buyer with required features or they could specify features they
            wanted it they are unable to do their own slots or other mounting
            requirements. Or the hub could be supplied on its own for the buyer
            to add their own flat plate.

            Martin
          • leasingham_connelly
            Message 5 of 22 , Jan 7, 2009
              --- In smart_and_brown_lathes@yahoogroups.com, "leasingham_connelly"
              <martin.connelly@...> wrote:

              > --- In smart_and_brown_lathes@yahoogroups.com, "richardandnovo"
              > <airforce@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Good evening chaps,
              > > Further to Mike's recent request on this subject and a
              > > couple of other contacts I had, I am trying to collate a
              > > list of those who would be interested in back plates face
              > > plates.
              > >
              > > Back plates should be relatively easy and I hope at the
              > > prices I suggested earlier (4/5/6" £33/37/42) as long as the
              > > Chronos castings are meaty enough in the middle.
              > >
              > > If interest is adequate, I may arrange to collect a number
              > > of blanks at the ME Ex at AP.
              > >
              > > Faceplates are another issue. Given Noman's comment that the
              > > boss in the CES casting is too small for comfort, I am
              > > talking to a local foundry who my be helpful, but I have no
              > > details yet, but as Mark pointed out there's a lot more
              > > machineing in a faceplate.
              > >
              > > Rgds Richard
              > >
              > Two things spring to mind with regards making these items for
              other
              > people's machines.
              >
              > 1) Just form the thread and let buyers do the boring to fit their
              > machine. That way if the register is worn it will not be a sloppy
              > fit if made to nominal size. It is easy to mount a threaded item
              on
              > in reverse to ensure the register is aligned with the pre-cut
              > thread, it does not need to go over the spindle register for a one
              > off mounting. A piece of pipe can be used to give a positive stop
              > thread the workpiece up to. The accurate register is for
              > repeatability of mounting.
              >
              > 2) For face plates supply the smallest backplate with a separate
              > piece of flat plate. Make the small backplate into a spigoted hub
              > and then mount the plate to it. Backplates can be machined by the
              > buyer with required features or they could specify features they
              > wanted it they are unable to do their own slots or other mounting
              > requirements. Or the hub could be supplied on its own for the
              buyer
              > to add their own flat plate.
              >
              > Martin

              I think I've remembered what I did for my faceplate. I bought the
              160mm face plate item 600553 from Axminster tools, current price inc
              VAT £12.33

              <http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp?
              pf_id=577137&name=faceplate&user_search=1&sfile=1&jump=44>

              and made a hub to mount it.

              Martin
            • richardandnovo
              Message 6 of 22 , Jan 7, 2009
                > > Two things spring to mind with regards making these
                >>items for other people's machines.
                > >
                > > 1) Just form the thread and let buyers do the boring to
                >>fit their machine. That way if the register is worn it
                >>will not be a sloppy fit if made to nominal size.

                That had crossed my mind and is probably a wise idea I
                think, but I guess I would be amenable to persuasion on an
                individual basis.

                > > 2) For face plates supply the smallest backplate with a
                >>separate
                > > piece of flat plate. Make the small backplate into a
                >>spigoted hub
                > > and then mount the plate to it. Backplates can be
                >>machined by the
                > > buyer with required features or they could specify
                >>features they
                > > wanted it they are unable to do their own slots or other
                >>mounting
                > > requirements. Or the hub could be supplied on its own
                >>for the buyer to add their own flat plate.
                > >
                > > Martin
                > >

                > I think I've remembered what I did for my faceplate. I
                bought the
                > 160mm face plate item 600553 from Axminster tools, current
                price inc VAT £12.33 and made a hub to mount it.

                A little bit small, and not exactly as per original, but for
                that price a giveaway! There's no way I could come anywhere
                close to that sort of price, although there is the hub to
                add. The larger faceplate for the C4 is under £14, I'm
                guessing it would be 8" as the lathe is 109mm ctr height.

                Seems a very tempting solution.....

                I had a quick check (pixel ratio of hub vs OD) of the RDG
                Myford one and I'd be amazed if the hub is much over 1.5",
                I'll give them a shout tomorrow, along with the foundry who
                is digesting the drawing I faxed him for a replica S&B item.

                Overall more questions than answers, but that's why I asked.

                Rgds Richard
              • mark
                Message 7 of 22 , Jan 7, 2009
                  <airforce@...> wrote:

                  > > > Two things spring to mind with regards making these
                  > >>items for other people's machines.
                  > > >
                  > > > 1) Just form the thread and let buyers do the boring to
                  > >>fit their machine. That way if the register is worn it
                  > >>will not be a sloppy fit if made to nominal size.
                  >
                  > That had crossed my mind and is probably a wise idea I
                  > think, but I guess I would be amenable to persuasion on an
                  > individual basis.
                  >

                  > > > 2) For face plates supply the smallest backplate with a
                  > >>separate
                  > > > piece of flat plate. Make the small backplate into a
                  > >>spigoted hub
                  > > > and then mount the plate to it. Backplates can be
                  > >>machined by the
                  > > > buyer with required features or they could specify
                  > >>features they
                  > > > wanted it they are unable to do their own slots or other
                  > >>mounting
                  > > > requirements. Or the hub could be supplied on its own
                  > >>for the buyer to add their own flat plate.
                  > > >
                  > > > Martin
                  > > >

                  > > I think I've remembered what I did for my faceplate. I
                  > bought the
                  > > 160mm face plate item 600553 from Axminster tools, current
                  > price inc VAT £12.33 and made a hub to mount it.
                  >
                  > A little bit small, and not exactly as per original, but for
                  > that price a giveaway! There's no way I could come anywhere
                  > close to that sort of price, although there is the hub to
                  > add. The larger faceplate for the C4 is under £14, I'm
                  > guessing it would be 8" as the lathe is 109mm ctr height.
                  >
                  > Seems a very tempting solution.....
                  >
                  > I had a quick check (pixel ratio of hub vs OD) of the RDG
                  > Myford one and I'd be amazed if the hub is much over 1.5",
                  > I'll give them a shout tomorrow, along with the foundry who
                  > is digesting the drawing I faxed him for a replica S&B item.
                  >
                  > Overall more questions than answers, but that's why I asked.
                  >
                  > Rgds Richard

                  YUP, I've had another good look at the myford ones ...and have sort
                  of worked out that they have 1.85 inches central casting material to
                  work with........will only give you lttle more that 0.05 meat
                  left..after boring and threading...not enough !

                  all the best.markj
                • MALCOLM PARTRIDGE
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jan 8, 2009
                    I have been looking at the same thing. The chronos Plate is reasonably priced but I am not sure if they do a 1 3/4 x 8 TPI for the Model L

                    I have been looking at car Flywheels for the actual Plate with the view to bolt to the Threaded hub and machine to size.

                    Flywheels are relatively cheap from scrap yards and are a good source of material.

                    Smart and Brown are still in existance under another name and they may also be a possible provider of faceplates

                    Malcolm

                    Message 9 of 22 , Jan 8, 2009
                      I have done some more research today.

                      The blanks for backplates have various sizes of hub and only
                      the 5" and above are adequate for a 1.75" spindle.(The 4"
                      has 51mm hub).

                      I was told the Chronos plates for a C4 are only 7". The
                      fellow was a bit hesitant as there are none in stock to
                      check so this may not be accurate. They do not have any that
                      are or could be threaded for our application, so it would be
                      order a 7" and bolt it to a hub for a two part job ending up
                      at £55ish (ex5" hub + Chronos C4 plate). That's quite a lot
                      of compromises by the time you're done, but less than a one-
                      piece part.

                      I have run to ground a further source of faceplate blanks
                      which would make a fair one-piece job with enough meat in
                      the hub and 9" OD. They are £35 for a bare, rough casting. I
                      would be willing to face and thread this for £15, but (any)
                      slots would be extra. As Mark said, by the time you're done
                      it's going to be £70 for a ready to use item.

                      As yet no details from a second foundry as he called me
                      whilst I was attending to SWMBO's 'sale fever'.

                      Car flywheels are usually too thin to include a hub in my
                      experience and a hell of a lot of swarf to reduce the dia,
                      but if you're doing it one your own time a reasonable option
                      I guess.

                      Bracehand (nee S&B) may still do faceplates, I don't
                      actually know. Anything from them seems hellishly expensive,
                      but that may be unfair as I haven't asked about very much. I
                      see from the website he's just cut & pasted Tony Griffith's
                      write-up of the machines, I wonder if he asked first,
                      there's no credit.

                      Richard
                    • richardandnovo
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jan 8, 2009
                        PS
                        John, I got your email and tried to reply, but got a
                        'address not recognised' error message.

                        Try sending me one direct, to:
                        airforce at toucansurf dot com

                        Cheers Richard
                      • Darren Dean
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jan 8, 2009
                          I'll throw a spanner in the works and tell you my model L has a 2" dia
                          nose. Still 8tpi.

                          I would like a faceplate and 6" backplate too.

                          OK, I'll sulk off now !!!!

                          --
                          Regards
                          Darren
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jan 8, 2009
                            <airforce@...> wrote:

                            > PS
                            > John, I got your email and tried to reply, but got a
                            > 'address not recognised' error message.
                            >
                            > Try sending me one direct, to:
                            > airforce at toucansurf dot com
                            >
                            > Cheers Richard

                            My friend Alwyn who works in prestatyn doing optics for grinding
                            lenses ..he buys iron bar disk ...these are as pure as you're going
                            to get, no inclusions etc......they are sawn off cast iron bar-stock.

                            two company's in the UK, mail the disc's to him .........anything up
                            to 18 inches in diameter . and any thickness.

                            he's not answering the phone just now .,..but will get the name of
                            the two companies for you ..if you want.

                            all the best.markj
                          • richardandnovo
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jan 8, 2009

                              > I'll throw a spanner in the works and tell you my model L
                              has a 2" dia
                              > nose. Still 8tpi.
                              >
                              > I would like a faceplate and 6" backplate too.
                              >
                              > OK, I'll sulk off now !!!!

                              > Regards
                              > Darren

                              Hello Darren,
                              I was aware of the 2" spindles on some machines, I'd like to
                              help, but I'm risking making a very stiff rod for my own
                              back if I'm not careful. A 6" backplate for a 2" spindle is
                              possible from castings I can get, but the FP isn't.
                              Machining a FP from a solid billet as Mark implies is a hell
                              of a lot of swarf. In addition a spindle nose test piece is
                              required. You could probably pick up a Mdl L with a 1.75"
                              spindle for the same price!
                              I think I'll have to decline that rather than dissapoint you
                              later.

                              Rgds Richard
                            • Darren Dean
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jan 8, 2009
                                No Probs Richard,

                                I realise it's a tall order so wasn't really asking.
                                One day I'll manage to make my own on another lathe, but by then I
                                probably won't need one having such a lathe...!!

                                Good lucK with the other orders though...

                                --
                                Regards
                                Darren
                                Message 15 of 22 , Jan 8, 2009
                                  --- In smart_and_brown_lathes@yahoogroups.com, "Darren Dean"
                                  <we4212@...> wrote:

                                  > No Probs Richard,
                                  >
                                  > I realise it's a tall order so wasn't really asking.
                                  > One day I'll manage to make my own on another lathe, but by then I
                                  > probably won't need one having such a lathe...!!
                                  >
                                  > Good lucK with the other orders though...
                                  >
                                  > 2009/1/8 richardandnovo <airforce@...>:
                                  > >>
                                  > >> I'll throw a spanner in the works and tell you my model L
                                  > > has a 2" dia
                                  > >> nose. Still 8tpi.
                                  > >>
                                  > >> I would like a faceplate and 6" backplate too.
                                  > >>
                                  > >> OK, I'll sulk off now !!!!
                                  > >
                                  > >> Regards
                                  > >> Darren
                                  > >>

                                  > > Hello Darren,
                                  > > I was aware of the 2" spindles on some machines, I'd like to
                                  > > help, but I'm risking making a very stiff rod for my own
                                  > > back if I'm not careful. A 6" backplate for a 2" spindle is
                                  > > possible from castings I can get, but the FP isn't.
                                  > > Machining a FP from a solid billet as Mark implies is a hell
                                  > > of a lot of swarf. In addition a spindle nose test piece is
                                  > > required. You could probably pick up a Mdl L with a 1.75"
                                  > > spindle for the same price!
                                  > > I think I'll have to decline that rather than dissapoint you
                                  > > later.
                                  > >
                                  > > Rgds Richard
                                  > >

                                  > --
                                  > Regards
                                  > Darren

                                  If you fancy travelling to prestatyn ...and getting hold of the
                                  materials ...will make the backplate for you whilst you wait ...and
                                  if you pick up another faceplate off another lathe ..that can be
                                  altered through boring, will do this for you ...but wait for the
                                  warmer weather ...or pay my heating bill, which will start the day
                                  before to bring the place up to temp..as i have severe back problems
                                  and cant tolerate the cold........and bring your spindle .

                                  all the best.markj
                                • mark
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jan 9, 2009
                                  • Mike
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jan 10, 2009
                                      College Engineering will be at AP next weekend, maybe ask them to bring one
                                      of each along to look at?
                                      Regards,
                                      Mike
                                    • norman28849
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jan 10, 2009
                                        --- In smart_and_brown_lathes@yahoogroups.com, "mark"
                                        <aboard_epsilon@...> wrote:

                                        > Hows this .
                                        >
                                        > http://www.collegeengineering.co.uk/Castings/566and7.htm
                                        >
                                        > all the best.markj

                                        That's what I used. However, I felt that the boss was a bit small in
                                        diameter. Over-cautious perhaps but in addition, the centre was very
                                        porous and crumbly, though the rest of the plate was OK.

                                        These two factors together led me turn the boss off and use a Chronos
                                        backplate with it.

                                        It worked fine but it puts the price up substantially.

                                        Sorry!

                                        Norman.
                                      • richardandnovo
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Jan 11, 2009
                                          > > Hows this .
                                          > >
                                          > > http://www.collegeengineering.co.uk/
                                          Castings/566and7.htm

                                          > That's what I used. However, I felt that the boss was a
                                          bit small in
                                          > diameter. Over-cautious perhaps but in addition, the
                                          centre was very
                                          > porous and crumbly, though the rest of the plate was OK.
                                          >
                                          > These two factors together led me turn the boss off and
                                          use a Chronos
                                          > backplate with it.
                                          >
                                          > It worked fine but it puts the price up substantially.
                                          >
                                          > Sorry!
                                          >
                                          > Norman.

                                          Thanks for the warning Norman,
                                          Sounds like a typical casting fault with the slag
                                          collecting in the middle, did the same thing with zinc
                                          samples in chemistry O-level as I recall. Not very
                                          encouraging, they should have cast the bore into it and
                                          let the slag float up a riser I think.
                                          I presume you didn't have the same problem with the
                                          backplate. Possibly you were just unlucky with the FP -
                                          still, it's poor quality control.

                                          The hub is quoted as 60mm and on my original FP it was
                                          63mm (2.5") so it doesn't seem too far off the mark. I'll
                                          have a look at one at AP and see what I think when I see
                                          it.

                                          Cheers Richard
                                        • norman28849
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Jan 11, 2009
                                            <airforce@...> wrote:

                                            > > > Hows this .
                                            > > >
                                            > > > http://www.collegeengineering.co.uk/
                                            > Castings/566and7.htm
                                            > > >

                                            > > That's what I used. However, I felt that the boss was a
                                            > bit small in
                                            > > diameter. Over-cautious perhaps but in addition, the
                                            > centre was very
                                            > > porous and crumbly, though the rest of the plate was OK.
                                            > >
                                            > > These two factors together led me turn the boss off and
                                            > use a Chronos
                                            > > backplate with it.
                                            > >
                                            > > It worked fine but it puts the price up substantially.
                                            > >
                                            > > Sorry!
                                            > >
                                            > > Norman.
                                            > >

                                            > Thanks for the warning Norman,
                                            > Sounds like a typical casting fault with the slag
                                            > collecting in the middle, did the same thing with zinc
                                            > samples in chemistry O-level as I recall. Not very
                                            > encouraging, they should have cast the bore into it and
                                            > let the slag float up a riser I think.
                                            > I presume you didn't have the same problem with the
                                            > backplate. Possibly you were just unlucky with the FP -
                                            > still, it's poor quality control.
                                            >
                                            > The hub is quoted as 60mm and on my original FP it was
                                            > 63mm (2.5") so it doesn't seem too far off the mark. I'll
                                            > have a look at one at AP and see what I think when I see
                                            > it.
                                            >
                                            > Cheers Richard

                                            Richard,

                                            With further thought, I can't remember whether it was the diameter or
                                            the thickness of the boss that I felt to be inadequate (it was a
                                            while ago). however, the inclusions were the decider.

                                            The Chronos backplate was of excellent quality.

                                            Regards,

                                            Norman.
                                          • richardandnovo
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Jan 22, 2009
                                              > With further thought, I can't remember whether it
                                              was the diameter or
                                              > the thickness of the boss that I felt to be
                                              inadequate (it was a
                                              > while ago). however, the inclusions were the
                                              decider.

                                              > The Chronos backplate was of excellent quality.
                                              >

                                              > Regards,
                                              >

                                              > Norman.

                                              Norman,
                                              you're quite right. The CES faceplate although
                                              quoted as having a 60mm hub is actually struggling
                                              to be 57mm casting and with a very large radius on
                                              the corner. To get to the 57dia you'd probably
                                              loose 3/16" in length (nice mix of units, sorry
                                              folks). I did get a casting as I have an immediate
                                              use, but I'll have to mod. the hub somewhat to make
                                              it serviceable.

                                              I have had a proper quote from the local foundry
                                              and could get bare castings from them for £49, but
                                              I'd need to make the pattern first. Unless there's
                                              a deluge of passionate requests beyond the one I've
                                              promised, I think I'll let the FP's go.

                                              If wharfjohn is out there I have a backplate with
                                              your name on it as requested. I consistently get
                                              email errors trying to send to you. Either email me
                                              or phone me on 01303 894380.

                                              There is one finished 5"-1.75x8 backplate spare
                                              which is available to anyone who wants it, £29 +
                                              post or you can collect from Folkestone or
                                              threabouts.

                                              Cheers
                                              Richard
                                            • wharfjohn
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Feb 7, 2009
                                                <airforce@...> wrote:

                                                > > With further thought, I can't remember whether it
                                                > was the diameter or
                                                > > the thickness of the boss that I felt to be
                                                > inadequate (it was a
                                                > > while ago). however, the inclusions were the
                                                > decider.
                                                > >
                                                > > The Chronos backplate was of excellent quality.
                                                > >

                                                > > Regards,
                                                > >

                                                > > Norman.
                                                > >
                                                > Norman,
                                                > you're quite right. The CES faceplate although
                                                > quoted as having a 60mm hub is actually struggling
                                                > to be 57mm casting and with a very large radius on
                                                > the corner. To get to the 57dia you'd probably
                                                > loose 3/16" in length (nice mix of units, sorry
                                                > folks). I did get a casting as I have an immediate
                                                > use, but I'll have to mod. the hub somewhat to make
                                                > it serviceable.
                                                >
                                                > I have had a proper quote from the local foundry
                                                > and could get bare castings from them for £49, but
                                                > I'd need to make the pattern first. Unless there's
                                                > a deluge of passionate requests beyond the one I've
                                                > promised, I think I'll let the FP's go.
                                                >
                                                > If wharfjohn is out there I have a backplate with
                                                > your name on it as requested. I consistently get
                                                > email errors trying to send to you. Either email me
                                                > or phone me on 01303 894380.
                                                >
                                                > There is one finished 5"-1.75x8 backplate spare
                                                > which is available to anyone who wants it, £29 +
                                                > post or you can collect from Folkestone or
                                                > threabouts.
                                                >
                                                > Cheers
                                                > Richard

                                                This might seem a rather public place to thank Richard for the
                                                excellent backplate he supplied for my Sabel, but there is method in
                                                my madness. I have previously had trouble in tapping a backplate such
                                                that the tapped holes line up with the holes in the chuck and offer
                                                the following method to achieve this. This is aimed at the less
                                                experienced lathe users and to those who find it obvious please
                                                excuse me.

                                                The first issue is how to drill a pilot hole for the tap which of
                                                course will be a smaller diameter than the holes in the chuck. My
                                                solution was to make a sleeve having a centre hole the diameter of
                                                the tapping drill size and the outer diameter a clearance fit in the
                                                chuck. By drilling the backplate through the holes in the chuck but
                                                with the sleeve in place ensured alignment.

                                                A similar issue applies to tapping the backplate. I decided to tap
                                                the holes with the chuck in place but did not then have a long enough
                                                tap. Rather than buy a special one, I used a rather cheap one that I
                                                already had. Being cheap the shank was relatively soft and I was able
                                                to turn off the square and extend it by brazing on a piece of steel
                                                that was a clearance hole in the chuck and file a new square on the
                                                end. Before doing so, I drilled a sleeve to slide over the remains of
                                                the shank with a diameter equal to the extension piece.

                                                Sorry if this seems a bit long winded but I wanted it to be clear and
                                                the result was a perfect fit of the retaining allen bolts.

                                                Regards,

                                                John