Hello from Arizona

  • Dena Tippetts
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 26, 2011
      Hello,

      I just stumbled across this group and feel blessed to find you. I am 36 and a housewife. My husband works for a copper mine and I homeschool our children. We have 4 wonderful children ages 7 - 1. My children will be starting 4-h next year and my oldest suggested we grow wheat this winter instead of veggies. I thought it was a great idea and have been spending some time researching it. Where does everyone buy there seeds from? And are there any documents that can help us on our journey?

      In Christ,
      Dena
    • L F
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 26, 2011
        Hello, and welcome to the group.  I'm a Christian homeschooler, too.

        I have 2 grain books.  One is Small-Scale Grain Raising by Gene Logsdon, and is geared a little more toward bigger crops, and the other is Homegrown Whole Grains by Sara Pitzer, which seems to be smaller scale.  Ironic.

        Logsdon talks about all kinds of machines, so he seems to be more on the larger-than-a-little side of it.  Sara is more the garden-sized scale.  Both books have good information.

        You could also try Carla Emery's Encyclopedia of Country Living.  It has a section on lots of kinds of grains.

        Your county extension agent should be able to help point you in the right direction for you area.

        You're welcome to contact me privately to penpal it.
        Laurie F.

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 27, 2011
          Laurie,

          So nice to meet you.  I love homeschooling don't you?  I will look for the book Homegrown Whole grains.  Thank you for the suggestions.  I love the idea of being more self sufficient and my kids really seem to like it too.  We currently have chickens and my daughter thought we need to grown wheat for our homemade bread and have a cow for its milk.  I had to laugh.  I love cows however we do not have the room or budget for a cow.  So I suggested goats.  She will be doing 4-h this coming year and I explained she could show a dairy goat and we could use the milk for our cooking, drinking and my baby seems to have problems with the proteins in milk so maybe the goat milk will work better for her once she turns 1.   We are all very excited.  I noticed your email so do you have animals?  Thank you again for your response.

          In Christ,
          Dena

          I just stumbled across this group and feel blessed to find you. I am 36 and a housewife. My husband works for a copper mine and I homeschool our children. We have 4 wonderful children ages 7 - 1. My children will be starting 4-h next year and my oldest suggested we grow wheat this winter instead of veggies. I thought it was a great idea and have been spending some time researching it. Where does everyone buy there seeds from? And are there any documents that can help us on our journey?

          In Christ,
          Dena

        • cousinlucius
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 1, 2011
            > Homegrown Whole Grains by Sara Pitzer

            Laurie, I wanted to ask you (and any others that are familiar with it) about that book. I've been wanting to buy it for a couple years now, but I've hesitated, wondering if I'd really get anything useful out of it. Does it present any practical ways to dehull grains that need dehulling on a homestead scale? What about ways to thresh grain? I think I saw that there was a whole section devoted to recipes, and that's not what I personally would be looking for out of a book like this. I'd prefer lots of depth on the "technical" problems of growing, harvesting, and threshing/dehulling/etc. Thanks!
            -Eric
          • L F
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 1, 2011
              Eric,

              Sara Pitzer's book does have some recipes for each featured grain, but it's not just a cookbook.  Each grain is given time for descriptions, growing, harvesting, and hulling (if necessary).  While it's not an exhaustive work, I'd say it's worth having for basic information.  And I'd definitely say it's more on the small-scale side.  Other books seem to be on the acres-and-acres level of production.  She's really talking to gardener/homesteaders.

              The grains discussed are barley, buckwheat, corn, heirlooms (amaranth, quinoa, spelt, emmer, farro, einkorn), millet, oats, rice, rye, and wheat.

              Look for it on Amazon or another online discount place.

              Good growing.
              Laurie
            • John H. Carver Jr.
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 1, 2011
                Sara Pitzer's first book on small grains, published back in the late seventies or early eighties and long out of print had much more information on threshing grain than her current book does.  Even had a series of photographs of a pedal powered thresher made out of a large wooden spool.  Book was published by Garden Way and can be found on some of the out of print websites such as ABE.  Search for Sara Pitzer as author and grain as keyword.

                                                                              John
                                                                              Zone 5