processing grain for chicken feed

  • polly_goldman
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 28, 2010
      Hello everyone - I just found this group while looking for a way to process grain for chicken feed. I have a grinder that I use to make wheat flour for bread, but my husband, who has used it to crack wheat and other grains for breakfast cereal, is pretty unsatisfied with the quality of the rough grind - he says that it makes some large fragments along with many flour-sized ones, which doesn't seem like it would be satisfactory for chickens.
      Do any of you grow grain for chickens? and if so, do you process it in any way before giving it to them? We were wondering whether a hammer mill or a roller mill would be better than a burr mill for this purpose.
      Thanks!
      Polly
    • L F
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 28, 2010
        Hi.

        I don't see why you would really need to do anything to the grain for chickens.  I would think they could handle it whole very well.  Just make sure they get plenty of grit for their gizzards.

        I'm talking larger birds, not babies.

        I think if you want to crack the grain coarsely, you would want a feed mill.  They are made for just busting it up into bigger bits instead of flour.

        Laurie Flynn

        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 28, 2010
          Thanks, Laurie! What's a feed mill? I tried googling "chicken feed mill", with no real luck...

          --- In smallscalegrains@yahoogroups.com, L F <brokenoakfarm83@...> wrote:

          > Hi.
          >
          > I don't see why you would really need to do anything to the grain for chickens.
          > I would think they could handle it whole very well. Just make sure they get
          > plenty of grit for their gizzards.
          >

          > I'm talking larger birds, not babies.
          >
          > I think if you want to crack the grain coarsely, you would want a feed mill.
          > They are made for just busting it up into bigger bits instead of flour.
          >
          > Laurie Flynn
          >

          > ________________________________

        • L F
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 28, 2010
            Hi, Polly.

            A feed mill is more of a farm machine than a kitchen gadget.  They are used for cracking grain for feeding to animals.  I'll see what I can find.

            Thanks, Laurie! What's a feed mill? I tried googling "chicken feed mill", with no real luck...

            --- In smallscalegrains@yahoogroups.com, L F <brokenoakfarm83@...> wrote:

            > Hi.
            >
            > I don't see why you would really need to do anything to the grain for chickens.
            > I would think they could handle it whole very well. Just make sure they get
            > plenty of grit for their gizzards.
            >

            > I'm talking larger birds, not babies.
            >
            > I think if you want to crack the grain coarsely, you would want a feed mill.
            > They are made for just busting it up into bigger bits instead of flour.
            >
            > Laurie Flynn
            >

            > ________________________________

          • L F
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 28, 2010
              Try aaoobfoods.com.  They have a few.

              Look for the description of what a mill will make.  If it says it will crack grains but not make flour, it may be what you need.  Also look for "grist mill."

              Thanks, Laurie! What's a feed mill? I tried googling "chicken feed mill", with no real luck...

              --- In smallscalegrains@yahoogroups.com, L F <brokenoakfarm83@...> wrote:

              > Hi.
              >
              > I don't see why you would really need to do anything to the grain for chickens.
              > I would think they could handle it whole very well. Just make sure they get
              > plenty of grit for their gizzards.
              >

              > I'm talking larger birds, not babies.
              >
              > I think if you want to crack the grain coarsely, you would want a feed mill.
              > They are made for just busting it up into bigger bits instead of flour.
              >
              > Laurie Flynn
              >

              > ________________________________

            • polly_goldman
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 28, 2010
                This is the one thing I have been able to find so far: http://www.strombergschickens.com/products/grinders.php
                (the first three items on that page)

                It looks like all three are burr mills, so maybe that's standard for animal feed? If that's the case, it seems like mine should work as well as them.
                The reason I'm focused on grinding, and ignoring your original comment about using whole grain, is that it seems like most commercial chicken food is cracked. So I thought that maybe that was the best way to go. Perhaps chickens raised a bit more naturally, with more access to small stones and stuff, wouldn't need that, though?

                --- In smallscalegrains@yahoogroups.com, L F <brokenoakfarm83@...> wrote:

                > Hi, Polly.
                >
                > A feed mill is more of a farm machine than a kitchen gadget. They are used for
                > cracking grain for feeding to animals. I'll see what I can find.
                >

                > ________________________________

              • L F
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 28, 2010
                  Most commercially produced chicken feed is made of a combination of ground and pelleted ingredients.  This allows the finished product to be homogenous, not  separate with handling or use, and contain the desired mixture of components.  The fact that it is in such a ground state means that it is also easier for the birds to eat and digest it without needing grit in their gizzards.  This makes growing chickens in massive numbers indoors much simpler.  And we all know that's the RIGHT way to do it, don't we?  (Now where is that sarcasm button?)

                  Birds raised outdoors on the ground will eat things that need to ground up by grit in the gizzard.  Small gravel, like the size of mustard seeds or peppercorns, on up to the size of split peas, is perfect.  Or you can spend money on stuff in a bag. Start chicks with chick grit, and change to the larger size at 6 weeks or so.  I use coarse sand for chicks.

                  It looks like all three are burr mills, so maybe that's standard for animal feed? If that's the case, it seems like mine should work as well as them.
                  The reason I'm focused on grinding, and ignoring your original comment about using whole grain, is that it seems like most commercial chicken food is cracked. So I thought that maybe that was the best way to go. Perhaps chickens raised a bit more naturally, with more access to small stones and stuff, wouldn't need that, though?

                  --- In smallscalegrains@yahoogroups.com, L F <brokenoakfarm83@...> wrote:

                  > Hi, Polly.
                  >
                  > A feed mill is more of a farm machine than a kitchen gadget. They are used for
                  > cracking grain for feeding to animals. I'll see what I can find.

                • polly_goldman
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 28, 2010
                    Thanks, this conversation has been very helpful for me! And perhaps saved me money, too - it makes way more sense to let the chicken grind the grain itself, in it's gizzard, than to use fuel to pre-grind it if that is not necessary!