Re: oatmeal

  • bobcat4850
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 17, 2008
      --- In smallscalegrains@yahoogroups.com, "Eric" <abejero@...> wrote:

      > I've not yet figured out how to make my own oatmeal (or a good
      > substitute) from my own oats. Can anyone advise me how I might go
      > about it? Can anyone recommend a good, inexpensive flaker/roller for
      > making rolled oats/oatmeal? Gene Logsdon in his book, Small Scale
      > Grain Raising, said that he thought the hull-less oats didn't grow as
      > well as regular oats in the hull, but I've never tried growing the
      > hull-less oats. Anyone know what people used to do with oats before
      > they had access to fancy machinery? What use do oats have as animal
      > feed, and what would I need to do to feed oats to whatever animals
      > might benefit from them?

      http://www.plantsciences.ucdavis.edu/LTRAS/Itech/thresh.html
      this is a link for an oat huller.
      we eat hulled oat for breakfast.
      we soak them for 48 hours and then cook them.
      good luck chris ;o)
    • bobcat4850
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 18 9:05 AM
        --- In smallscalegrains@yahoogroups.com, "bobcat4850" <bobcat4850@...>
        wrote: We just bought a MARGA Mulino hand crank roller grain mill. It,
        make rolled oats just fine also a course flour.
        chris ;o)