Sara Pitzer's book on grains

  • cousinlucius
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 1, 2011
      > Homegrown Whole Grains by Sara Pitzer

      Laurie, I wanted to ask you (and any others that are familiar with it) about that book. I've been wanting to buy it for a couple years now, but I've hesitated, wondering if I'd really get anything useful out of it. Does it present any practical ways to dehull grains that need dehulling on a homestead scale? What about ways to thresh grain? I think I saw that there was a whole section devoted to recipes, and that's not what I personally would be looking for out of a book like this. I'd prefer lots of depth on the "technical" problems of growing, harvesting, and threshing/dehulling/etc. Thanks!
      -Eric
    • L F
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 1, 2011
        Eric,

        Sara Pitzer's book does have some recipes for each featured grain, but it's not just a cookbook.  Each grain is given time for descriptions, growing, harvesting, and hulling (if necessary).  While it's not an exhaustive work, I'd say it's worth having for basic information.  And I'd definitely say it's more on the small-scale side.  Other books seem to be on the acres-and-acres level of production.  She's really talking to gardener/homesteaders.

        The grains discussed are barley, buckwheat, corn, heirlooms (amaranth, quinoa, spelt, emmer, farro, einkorn), millet, oats, rice, rye, and wheat.

        Look for it on Amazon or another online discount place.

        Good growing.
        Laurie
      • John H. Carver Jr.
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 1, 2011
          Sara Pitzer's first book on small grains, published back in the late seventies or early eighties and long out of print had much more information on threshing grain than her current book does.  Even had a series of photographs of a pedal powered thresher made out of a large wooden spool.  Book was published by Garden Way and can be found on some of the out of print websites such as ABE.  Search for Sara Pitzer as author and grain as keyword.

                                                                        John
                                                                        Zone 5