An interesting way to put a bed in a small space

  • Linda
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 2, 2010
      I'm looking at one of these for our 586 sq foot house.

      http://www.zoom-room.com/index.asp
    • solarman
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 2, 2010
        Interesting design for a murphy bed!

        Only thing I wonder is if you have to strip the bed first to get it back in the cabinet ?

        I have a couch bed downstairs for my son when he visits and a regular queen size bed in the loft.

        Bunk beds are good and futons can be used.

        LaMar
        http://www.simplesolarhomesteading.com

        --- In smallhousesocietyonline@yahoogroups.com, "Linda" <lindamcinnis@...> wrote:

        > I'm looking at one of these for our 586 sq foot house.
        >
        > http://www.zoom-room.com/index.asp

      • Roleigh Martin
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 2, 2010
          What about this alternative -- the bed can stay made.

          or the Sico 24/7 Wallbed System:

          I own a Sico Eurobed Wallbed System with a side armoire cabinet.  It has converted out TV room into a bedroom at night for my sister and it only takes 10 seconds to transition the room, the bed with blankets, quilt, and pillows stay in place either up or down.
          On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 9:41 AM, Linda <lindamcinnis@...> wrote:
          I'm looking at one of these for our 586 sq foot house.

          http://www.zoom-room.com/index.asp

          <*> Your email settings:
             Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
             (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
             smallhousesocietyonline-digest@yahoogroups.com
             smallhousesocietyonline-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

             http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Roleigh Martin

            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 2, 2010
              I would have serious questions about the durability of a foam mattress
              that had to bend like that so often.

              Of course, at four and a half thousand dollars (and up), I'd find it
              hard to justify pricewise as well.

              The other poster mentioned the Sico system. My sister sold those while
              she was in college as an interior design major about thirty years ago.
              They make one of the best "Murphy" style mechanisms in the business.

              To me, a simple loft bed that could be easily mounted over a sofa
              below (where you don't need standing height anyway) would seem a very
              workable solution you could build yourself, so long as the person or
              people to be using the loft bed could negotiate a ladder or stairs up
              to it. I'd expect such a loft bed to be less than $200, and be quite
              easy to build as well (plus mattress cost).

              For an inexpensive sofa underneath such a loft bed, I would seriously
              look at Home Reserve--upholstered pieces you assemble yourself for a
              fraction of the typical retail price, with storage under every seat. I
              know a number of folks who have bought from them, and are uniformly
              very happy with the purchase. http://homereserve.com

              David

              On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 17:41, Linda <lindamcinnis@...> wrote:

              > I'm looking at one of these for our 586 sq foot house.
              >
              > http://www.zoom-room.com/index.asp
            • rob crissinger
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 2, 2010
                $3500 ?
                I can build a small house for that much and put a regular bed in it as a solution
                You can also buy the best top end murphy bed hinge set and custom build a wood enclosure for under $1000.

                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 2, 2010
                  This place sells wallbed mechanisms for a moderate 3 digit price figure and you go off and get your own wood and build the system yourself.

                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 2, 2010
                    I heard back from Zoom-Room:

                    Hi Roiiegh,
                    Thank you for your interest in Zoom-Room.
                    The Zoom-Room bed may be closed with a fitted sheet and or mattress pad on the mattress. Flat sheets, blankets, and pillows must be removed prior to closing the bed. These items may be conveniently stored in the cabinetry for the Zoom-Room bed.
                    We are interested in joining you in the “small house living” blog, would you mind sending me a link?
                    Let me know if I may be of any further assistance.
                    Regards,
                    --
                    Kurtis Baird
                    Logistics/Support

                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 2, 2010
                      I built my own platform futon bed for the loft.

                      It sits 7" off the floor so I can slide those plastic walmart storage drawers underneath.

                      I use a real firm foam mattress and no springs because of back problems.

                      Here are some pics of Japanese style platform beds:

                      http://tatamiroom.com/cgi-local/catalog.pl?category=PLATFORM_BEDS-10&show=detail&item=TB6384

                      LaMar
                      http://www.simplesolarhomesteading.com
                    • MotherLodeBeth
                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 2, 2010
                        Know someone who took two dressers with four drawers each and cut them
                        in half so each was two drawers each and then they used these as a base
                        for the platform for the mattress, so they got a bed and storage all in
                        one. ~Beth~

                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 2, 2010
                          Beth,

                          You might take a look at http://www.ultimatebed.com for ideas...their
                          beds have dressers beneath as well, and some other very good ideas as
                          well.

                          David

                          On Sat, Apr 3, 2010 at 00:54, MotherLodeBeth <MotherLodeBeth@...> wrote:

                          > Know someone who took two dressers with four drawers each and cut them
                          > in half so each was two drawers each and then they used these as a base
                          > for the platform for the mattress, so they got a bed and storage all in
                          > one. ~Beth~
                        • Marganne Meyer
                          Message 12 of 13 , Apr 3, 2010
                            Re: [shs-talk] An interesting way to put a bed in a small
                            At 12:59 AM +0300 4/3/10, David Neeley wrote:
                            You might take a look at http://www.ultimatebed.com for ideas...their
                            beds have dressers beneath as well, and some other very good ideas as
                            well.

                            I had a full-sized bed similar to this. It didn't work well for me. The room wasn't large enough for me to easily pull out the drawers and still have room for me stand by it to see the contents. A room were the bed is located so the sides or foot isn't anywhere near a wall would work, but might not be optimal in a small home unless planning for it in advance.

                            mm
                          • mvaussies
                            Message 13 of 13 , Apr 6, 2010
                              Tiny Trailer & Homes, Have use this type of "Dual Use" furniture.

                              I don't understand photos of people using "plain furniture" in some of these Tiny Homes? Every sq inch counts.

                              I built my Platform Bed way back in 1983, & still use it today! The base is Oak Plywood & the platform plain old plywood, with a lip of oak. It sits at 14" high. I have 3 large drawers on low casters(can roll them anywhere to use, and one is just a "Front" on magnet catches for my large Plastic zip bags of wool sweaters. I tend to use mine for the big seasonal change clothes storage. Winter, the summer clothes are in there , Summer, the winter clothes are in there.
                              I too have back problems & used a 6" firm foam, & now it's a Memory Foam. Packed for use later, Fall clothes on top in summer,etc. so you can work your way in, til you do the big switch over)

                              I'm going the same thing in my Tiny House Trailer with the Couch/Daybed/Storage(my Vac will have to fit in there) & 2 of My Dog crates are going under there. Yes it will be a little high, but my knees are going farther, & I can use the height, like the comfort height toilets. I have a high "Coffee Table" that is a 16" high stainless steel box(a 3' leftover piece of restaurant hood vent from a job) I put oak doors on either end for storage INSIDE there too, saves vacuuming under a normal one too. Have been able to put my feet up on it for 25 years!

                              The other thing to think about is the hinged RV & Trailer Bed storage. Where the whole platform lifts & held up(mattress & all using the hydraulics arms on the sides). Again it's a little better for seasonal stuff.