Small House?

  • gypsy_curiosa
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 1, 2009
      Hello everyone.
      I'm a lurker around here usually - though sometimes I'm just out-of-touch for awhile. Anyway, I decided to post today for three reasons:
      1) I don't seem to be getting the daily digests (as per my saved settings), and I'm wondering if posting might fix me back up.
      2) My husband and I recently got our first home - a 12 x 60 (I think - wow I should really make sure... will have to get hubby to verify for me LOL) mobile home. I'm wondering - does this fit most folks' definitions of a small house?
      3) A friend of mine is selling a trailer/mobile home smaller than mine and in lovely shape for just $3 000 Canadian, up here in Northern BC... and I thought I'd just put myself out as a contact in case anyone was interested.
      Have a great day everyone!
      ~ Apple Ament
    • David Neeley
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 1, 2009
        Greetings, Apple!

        You shouldn't really worry much about "most folks" and what they consider a small house, I think. I often think this list and its underlying organization could just as easily have been named Smaller House Society" with considerable justification.

        At 720 gross square feet, your home would still be well below the average North American home and, by many standards, qualify as "small."

        You will see many on this list who live in much smaller abodes--down to and including less than 100 square feet in some cases. How that would fit with your family and lifestyle needs is another question.

        As you surely are aware, a part of small home living is to learn new habits, getting rid of the problems of massive material acquisitiveness and focusing on what is really important to you and your family. This often becomes a liberating experience. In my case, I had a series of revelations--such as why I was foolish enough to have a rented storage unit for some years just to keep "stuff" I rarely if ever used. I found as I got rid of most of my things, it was as if a tremendous weight were lifted off my shoulders and I could focus on the truly important things.

        Of course, in my case moving from the U.S. to Ukraine a year ago in September was a marvelously clarifying thing. I did wind up shipping five boxes of things in addition to what I carried on the plane--but about three of them were clothing and other items for my wife and stepson over here. Even so, I have things I am getting rid of still--clothing I never wear, for example. (I had not lived in a climate with cold winters in many years, so I overdid it a bit on warm clothes).

        Although I have not measured it, I think our flat here is well under 500 square feet--and is quite adequate for the three of us. Were I designing a home from scratch, we could probably even do nicely with a bit less.

        The point is, I think, that you can gain many ideas and insights from discussions here that you can apply to your own home--even if only to rethink things you may now take for granted.

        One thing I am curious about--what sort of insulation does a trailer home in your area have to be comfortable when things get cold? I know this is a very weak part of many of the trailers built in the U.S. that I have seen.

        David