The Tragedy of Suburbia

  • Gregory Paul Johnson
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1, 2009
      "James Howard Kunstler may be the world’s most outspoken critic of
      suburban sprawl. He believes the end of the fossil fuels era will soon
      force a return to smaller-scale, agrarian communities."

      This 20 minute video presentation is quite good:
      http://www.ted.com/talks/view/id/121

      Also available on YouTube:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1ZeXnmDZMQ

      Thanks to Sherman for pointing this out!

      Greg

      Gregory Paul Johnson, Director
      Resources for Life.com
      "Resources for Better Living"
      Internet: http://www.resourcesforlife.com/g
      E-Mail: g@...
      Postal: PO Box 2717, Iowa City, IA 52244-2717 USA
      Phone: (319) 621-4911
    • Kevin Rose
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 2, 2009
        Greg,

        Thanks for the link. I was introduced to Kunstler years ago through his
        book, "The Geography of Nowhere." While his outspoken, irreverent
        approach may be offputting to some, he does a great job of articulating
        the failures and tragedies of our contemporary urban and suburban
        landscapes.

        All the best,
        Kevin

        --- In smallhousesocietyonline@yahoogroups.com, Gregory Paul Johnson
        <shs@...> wrote:

        > "James Howard Kunstler may be the world's most outspoken critic of
        > suburban sprawl. He believes the end of the fossil fuels era will soon
        > force a return to smaller-scale, agrarian communities."
        >
        > This 20 minute video presentation is quite good:
        > http://www.ted.com/talks/view/id/121
        >
        > Also available on YouTube:
        > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1ZeXnmDZMQ
        >
        > Thanks to Sherman for pointing this out!
        >
        > Greg
        >

        > Gregory Paul Johnson, Director
        > Resources for Life.com
        > "Resources for Better Living"
        > Internet: http://www.resourcesforlife.com/g
        > E-Mail: g@...
        > Postal: PO Box 2717, Iowa City, IA 52244-2717 USA
        > Phone: (319) 621-4911

      • Sue
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 2, 2009
          I have that book. I used it in some of my research while earning my
          BA in Sociology. It is a fantastic book and highly recommended
          reading.

          --- In smallhousesocietyonline@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Rose"
          <kevin@...> wrote:

          > Greg,
          >
          > Thanks for the link. I was introduced to Kunstler years ago through
          his
          > book, "The Geography of Nowhere." While his outspoken, irreverent
          > approach may be offputting to some, he does a great job of
          articulating
          > the failures and tragedies of our contemporary urban and suburban
          > landscapes.
          >
          > All the best,
          > Kevin
          >

          > --- In smallhousesocietyonline@yahoogroups.com, Gregory Paul Johnson
          > <shs@> wrote:
          > >
          > > "James Howard Kunstler may be the world's most outspoken critic of
          > > suburban sprawl. He believes the end of the fossil fuels era will
          soon
          > > force a return to smaller-scale, agrarian communities."
          > >
          > > This 20 minute video presentation is quite good:
          > > http://www.ted.com/talks/view/id/121
          > >
          > > Also available on YouTube:
          > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1ZeXnmDZMQ
          > >
          > > Thanks to Sherman for pointing this out!
          > >
          > > Greg
          > >

          > > Gregory Paul Johnson, Director
          > > Resources for Life.com
          > > "Resources for Better Living"
          > > Internet: http://www.resourcesforlife.com/g
          > > E-Mail: g@...
          > > Postal: PO Box 2717, Iowa City, IA 52244-2717 USA
          > > Phone: (319) 621-4911

        • dolcevita608
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 3, 2009
            I'm having trouble finding this book. My library doesn't have it so I
            tried Amazon online and it wasn't listed either. Help...

            --- In smallhousesocietyonline@yahoogroups.com, "Sue" <kc4sqw@...> wrote:

            > I have that book. I used it in some of my research while earning my
            > BA in Sociology. It is a fantastic book and highly recommended
            > reading.
            >

            > --- In smallhousesocietyonline@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Rose"
            > <kevin@> wrote:
            > >

            > > Greg,
            > >
            > > Thanks for the link. I was introduced to Kunstler years ago through
            > his
            > > book, "The Geography of Nowhere." While his outspoken, irreverent
            > > approach may be offputting to some, he does a great job of
            > articulating
            > > the failures and tragedies of our contemporary urban and suburban
            > > landscapes.
            > >
            > > All the best,
            > > Kevin
            > >

            > > --- In smallhousesocietyonline@yahoogroups.com, Gregory Paul Johnson
            > > <shs@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > "James Howard Kunstler may be the world's most outspoken critic of
            > > > suburban sprawl. He believes the end of the fossil fuels era will
            > soon
            > > > force a return to smaller-scale, agrarian communities."
            > > >
            > > > This 20 minute video presentation is quite good:
            > > > http://www.ted.com/talks/view/id/121
            > > >
            > > > Also available on YouTube:
            > > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1ZeXnmDZMQ
            > > >
            > > > Thanks to Sherman for pointing this out!
            > > >
            > > > Greg
            > > >

            > > > Gregory Paul Johnson, Director
            > > > Resources for Life.com
            > > > "Resources for Better Living"
            > > > Internet: http://www.resourcesforlife.com/g
            > > > E-Mail: g@...
            > > > Postal: PO Box 2717, Iowa City, IA 52244-2717 USA
            > > > Phone: (319) 621-4911

          • Kevin Rose
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 3, 2009
              Are you searching on the title, "The Geography of Nowhere" by James
              Howard Kunstler?

              I found it on Amazon, but a library should be able to get a copy through
              an interlibrary loan.

              Kevin

              --- In smallhousesocietyonline@yahoogroups.com, "dolcevita608"
              <dolcevita608@...> wrote:

              > I'm having trouble finding this book. My library doesn't have it so I
              > tried Amazon online and it wasn't listed either. Help...
              >

              > --- In smallhousesocietyonline@yahoogroups.com, "Sue" kc4sqw@ wrote:
              > >
              > > I have that book. I used it in some of my research while earning my
              > > BA in Sociology. It is a fantastic book and highly recommended
              > > reading.
              > >

              > > --- In smallhousesocietyonline@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Rose"
              > > <kevin@> wrote:
              > > >

              > > > Greg,
              > > >
              > > > Thanks for the link. I was introduced to Kunstler years ago
              through
              > > his
              > > > book, "The Geography of Nowhere." While his outspoken, irreverent
              > > > approach may be offputting to some, he does a great job of
              > > articulating
              > > > the failures and tragedies of our contemporary urban and suburban
              > > > landscapes.
              > > >
              > > > All the best,
              > > > Kevin
              > > >

              > > > --- In smallhousesocietyonline@yahoogroups.com, Gregory Paul
              Johnson

              > > soon

            • Jean Bellinger
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 3, 2009
                JH Kunstler's  "Home from No Where,'" an excerpt of which was in the Atlantic Monthly about 1996 or maybe before, got me started reading Jim Kunstler. He gave a voice to my internal sorrow and stirrings for the non-suburban neighborhoods of my youth. Glad I had the experience of living in an integral community like Kunstler (who is a few years my junior).  It was a 180-degree different way of life from what most Americans live today. Kunstler in his book also mentioned Christopher Alexander's "Pattern Language." -Jean

                --- On Tue, 3/3/09, Kevin Rose <kevin@...> wrote:Are you searching on the title, "The Geography of Nowhere" by JamesHoward Kunstler?I found it on Amazon, but a library should be able to get a copy throughan interlibrary loan.

                dolcevita608@ ...> wrote:I'm having trouble finding this book. My library doesn't have it so I tried Amazon online and it wasn't listed either.

                 "Sue" kc4sqw@ wrote:I have that book. I used it in some of my research while earning myBA in Sociology. It is a fantastic book and highly recommended reading.

                  "Kevin Rose"<kevin@> wrote:Greg,Thanks for the link. I was introduced to Kunstler years ago through his  book, "The Geography of Nowhere." While his outspoken, irreverent approach may be offputting to some, he does a great job of articulating the failures and tragedies of our contemporary urban and suburban landscapes.

                  Gregory Paul Johnson <shs@> wrote:"James Howard Kunstler may be the world's most outspoken critic of suburban sprawl. He believes the end of the fossil fuels era will soon force a return to smaller-scale, agraria communities. "