Re: BrightBuilt Barn and more

  • Kevin Rose
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 1, 2009

      --- In smallhousesocietyonline@yahoogroups.com, Mary S <dolcevita608@...> wrote:

      > My 'little house' (just a 9 1/2 x 16 shed with barn-type roof) is arriving Monday.
      > I'm so excited!

      Mary,

      How exciting! Congratulations! Will you be able to post pictures?

      Enjoy!
      Kevin
      www.paddleways.com/blog/gypsyrose

    • Mary S
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 1, 2009
        Thanks everyone and happy small-space new year!  I, too, will be using mine as a 'woman-cave'.  DH is a big tv watcher and I'm more of a reader/thinker/writer and like to spend a lot of time outdoors.  I have almost completed my outdoor 'courtyard' which will be just outside my front door.  I spend every minute I can out there weather permitting.  I'm still trying to work out the details of insulation and wall type, etc.  Does anyone know if foam board can be painted?  I want to insulate with foam board in the ceiling area (recessed between the trusses(?)  If I can paint them, I'll pretty much be done with the ceiling.  Since I will be doing most of the finishing work myself, I need to make it as easy as possible.  I, too, am going to wire it with the main house furnishing the power - I don't plan to use a lot of electricity.  I'm going to install at least one gutter to catch rain water.  Haven't figured out heat yet, but won't need AC since the house will be in complete shade, and I'm from the old school - doing as little as possible in the lazy hazy days of summer.  I will ask my DD to help me with photos within the next couple of weeks - I am tech challenged.  Thanks for all your good thoughts.

      • Stephanie Reiley
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 1, 2009
          > I want to insulate with foam
          > board in the ceiling area (recessed between the trusses(?) If I can paint
          > them, I'll pretty much be done with the ceiling. Since I will be doing most
          > of the finishing work myself, I need to make it as easy as possible.

          Why not do something similar to what's in the Tumbleweeds? He uses
          foam board insulation and then nails in slotted pine boards.

          Home Depot apparently sells the boards and if you were to rent a nail
          gun, I think it would go pretty quick. (Granted, I'm not a carpenter
          so someone please chime in if I'm giving bad advice.)

          I don't know how much materials would cost, but I love the warm, wood
          finish of Shafer's places.

          Steph
        • William Kastrinos
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 1, 2009
            Steph,
            Foam can't be left un-covered. While it is not a fire-hazard in terms of flame spread, it smolders and gives off gas when it burns, and it can be ignited like other materials. The safest cover is drywall. Screw the drywall over the insulation with screws long enough to penetrate the roof covering. If you are using a thin roof covering, penetration through the shingles or roof tin is a concern. So pick screw sizes carefully or put inexpensive 1x2 battons on the foam before attaching the drywall.
            You can put the pine right over the foam, with or without battons as described above if you would rather do that than drywall.
            Bill

            On Thu, Jan 1, 2009 at 8:41 AM, Stephanie Reiley <stephanie.reiley@...> wrote:

            > I want to insulate with foam
            > board in the ceiling area (recessed between the trusses(?) If I can paint
            > them, I'll pretty much be done with the ceiling. Since I will be doing most
            > of the finishing work myself, I need to make it as easy as possible.

            Why not do something similar to what's in the Tumbleweeds? He uses
            foam board insulation and then nails in slotted pine boards.

            Home Depot apparently sells the boards and if you were to rent a nail
            gun, I think it would go pretty quick. (Granted, I'm not a carpenter
            so someone please chime in if I'm giving bad advice.)

            I don't know how much materials would cost, but I love the warm, wood
            finish of Shafer's places.

            Steph

          • Gregory Paul Johnson
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 1, 2009
              "Why not do something similar to what's in the Tumbleweeds? He uses foam board insulation and then nails in slotted pine boards."

              In working on the construction of my home, I really liked using the foam board insulation because it could be cut to fit in just about any space. The small cracks between the foam and framing are easily filled with expandable (canned) spray on/in insulation. So, the home ends up being air-tight except for the intentional ventilation. The pine boards get screwed down, ensuring that they are held in place securely.

              Greg

              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 1, 2009

                --- In smallhousesocietyonline@yahoogroups.com, "William Kastrinos" <bkastrinos@...> wrote:

                > You can put the pine right over the foam, with or without battons as
                > described above if you would rather do that than drywall.
                > Bill

                For a view of how my roof/loft was insulated, go to
                http://paddleways.com/blog/gypsyrose/2007/09/a_bedroom_wrapped_in_pine.html#comments

                I filled the 2x6 rafters with blueboard (Dow styrofoam) and covered with t&g eastern white pine from a local forest. Overall, it works out to about R30 in the roof.

                Some use spray foam to secure the blueboard panels in place (and fill the voids). I cut mine to zero-tolerance so that they would fit tightly into the cavities without anything else to secure them.

                Hope the pictures help . . .

                Kevin
                www.paddleways.com/blog/gypsyrose

              • dolcevita608
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 2, 2009
                  Steph, that was my first plan; i.e., to use bead (?) board on top of
                  foam insulation, but when I checked out the price of the board ($17/a 4
                  x 8 sheet), I started to rethink it. I also want to use as much
                  recycled materials as I can from my local Habitat thrift store. We once
                  lived in a log cabin with a gambrel or barn-type roof and one problem
                  for me about a lot of wood all around is lighting. Seemed no matter how
                  many lamps we had around, the wood just soaked up the light and it
                  always seemed dark so I wanted to at least brighten up the ceiling with
                  a whitewash or something. Haven't quite decided. I'm pretty sure I'm
                  going to use the foam board tho; it's just easier, and I would like to
                  try and keep the trusses exposed.
                  --- In smallhousesocietyonline@yahoogroups.com, "Stephanie Reiley"
                  <stephanie.reiley@...> wrote:

                  > > I want to insulate with foam
                  > > board in the ceiling area (recessed between the trusses(?) If I can
                  paint
                  > > them, I'll pretty much be done with the ceiling. Since I will be
                  doing most
                  > > of the finishing work myself, I need to make it as easy as possible.
                  >
                  > Why not do something similar to what's in the Tumbleweeds? He uses
                  > foam board insulation and then nails in slotted pine boards.
                  >
                  > Home Depot apparently sells the boards and if you were to rent a nail
                  > gun, I think it would go pretty quick. (Granted, I'm not a carpenter
                  > so someone please chime in if I'm giving bad advice.)
                  >
                  > I don't know how much materials would cost, but I love the warm, wood
                  > finish of Shafer's places.
                  >
                  > Steph

                • dolcevita608
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 2, 2009
                    Bill, is paint ok or does it have to be board or drywall? Thanks.