Re: Small house video from Vt

  • Bridget Meary Meehan
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 1, 2008
      I agree.  This is basically a one-room cabin with a loft not a small home with living space and amenities.  I do like the carpenter/builder's ideas on creating a home rather than acquiring a massive mortgage payment.  Living in a 515 sq feet home is comfortable but an 8 x 10 room with a loft is a far cry from a home.  Thanks for being the voice of reason.  M

    • Stephanie Reiley
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 1, 2008
        > Living in a 515 sq feet home is comfortable but an 8 x 10 room with a loft is a far
        > cry from a home. Thanks for being the voice of reason. M

        Well, my personal two cents on that is what constitutes a "home"
        depends on the needs of the individual (or individuals) in question.
        My own place is 550 square feet and my boyfriends owns a place
        considerably larger (in another state). There are certainly people in
        the small home movement, however, who live in the 8 x 10 range--and
        some who are missing what we would consider normal amenities--who are
        quite content with their little homes.

        I get uneasy when we start labeling things as "reasonable" or
        "unreasonable". I think the focus needs to remain on what feels
        workable to each of us when deciding how we're going to chose to live.

        I'd also like to point out that your "voice of reason", Kevin Rose,
        lives in a tiny home over the winter. If you haven't seen his blog,
        it's a great read.

        Steph
      • Michael
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 1, 2008
          I agree... and would like to add that Peter King's houses are about
          the size of a Tumbleweed or Tortoiseshell. They could easily have the
          necessary utilities added and serve as a home for someone who wants to
          live that minimalist lifestyle.

          -Michael

          --- In smallhousesocietyonline@yahoogroups.com, "Stephanie Reiley"
          <stephanie.reiley@...> wrote:

          > > Living in a 515 sq feet home is comfortable but an 8 x 10 room
          with a loft is a far
          > > cry from a home. Thanks for being the voice of reason. M
          >
          > Well, my personal two cents on that is what constitutes a "home"
          > depends on the needs of the individual (or individuals) in question.
          > My own place is 550 square feet and my boyfriends owns a place
          > considerably larger (in another state). There are certainly people in
          > the small home movement, however, who live in the 8 x 10 range--and
          > some who are missing what we would consider normal amenities--who are
          > quite content with their little homes.
          >
          > I get uneasy when we start labeling things as "reasonable" or
          > "unreasonable". I think the focus needs to remain on what feels
          > workable to each of us when deciding how we're going to chose to live.
          >
          > I'd also like to point out that your "voice of reason", Kevin Rose,
          > lives in a tiny home over the winter. If you haven't seen his blog,
          > it's a great read.
          >
          > Steph

        • Bridget Meary Meehan
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 2, 2008
            Thanks for the input.  Again, I love my little house.  I have lived in smaller and larger places.  As for reasonable, I do believe that it is for the individual to decide what works for him or her.  I have a living room, bedroom, dining room, kitchen, office, and full bathroom.  There is a small loft that I use for storage.  Everything is small.  I certainly don't think that my comfort parameters are the template for others.  Sign me, Loving living simply in small town America.  M

          • mistressofthemoonlight
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 2, 2008
              Forgot to mention that I have been homeless; this is my little home. M

              =====================
              Posted through Grouply, the better way
              to access your Yahoo Groups like this one.
              http://www.grouply.com/?code=post
            • Kevin Rose
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 2, 2008
                --- In smallhousesocietyonline@yahoogroups.com, Bridget Meary Meehan
                <mistressofthemoonlight@...> wrote:

                > Living in a 515 sq feet home is comfortable but an 8 x 10 room with a
                loft is a far cry from a home.

                When I responded to the video about Peter King's small houses in Vermont
                I did not intend to suggest that his designs should not be considered
                homes, but rather to point out that tiny house designs can cover the
                range of functionality, from a basic shelter with no amenities to a
                full-function, self-contained house with indoor plumbing, electrical,
                appliances, etc. Both ends of the spectrum can certainly be considered
                "home," but the design challenges vary significantly.

                Here in Vermont, I live in a tiny house (8.5 x 20) from mid-November
                through mid-April. (I live on my boat for the remainder of the year.) As
                I write this post, a wood stove provides soothing warmth and a brass
                trawler (oil) lamp illuminates the room with a golden glow. Orion hangs
                on the horizon just above the trees to the south. Venus, Jupiter, and
                the last quarter moon are arranged in a triangular pattern out the
                window to the southwest. Deer, bear, moose, rabbit, coyotes, fox, owls,
                and many others frequent the meadows outside the door.

                Even though the house may be considered small by U.S. standards, the
                space around me is expansive and my tiny house allows me to always
                remain intimately in touch with what's outside the walls (as Thoreau
                once wrote, "contact, contact"). Small house? Perhaps, but I am very
                much at home.

                All the best,
                Kevin
              • Jean Bellinger
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 2, 2008
                  Ah, Vermont; how lucky you are. I have lived in So Cal 46 years and before that northeastern Iowa. I've also been in many states, including Alaska and Hawaii; Europe;So America; Canada and Mexico.

                  But I visited VT for a week in 1995, and thought it was a dream, the best state, and one of the prettiest places in the world. You are very fortunate. ( I was in VT, in part, to chase what I could find about my ancestor Ethan Allen, leader of the Green Mountain Boys).
                  -Jean

                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 3, 2008
                    You little house sounds so lovely!  I checked out your blog, too.  Nice to hear from you.  M

                  • Kevin Rose
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 3, 2008
                      --- In smallhousesocietyonline@yahoogroups.com, Jean Bellinger
                      <jbellinger@...> wrote:

                      > Ah, Vermont; how lucky you are.

                      Yes, there is much to love here, including the fact that we are the only
                      state in the country that doesn't have a McDonalds in the capital city.
                      (For a period we also had the distinction of the only state without a
                      Walmart, but the big box pressure eventually pushed aside the
                      opposition.)

                      > I was in VT, in part, to chase what I could find about my ancestor
                      Ethan Allen, leader of the Green Mountain Boys.
                      > -Jean

                      So I trust that you visited the Ethan Allen homestead in Burlington?
                      And, of course, Ira Allen was the founder of the University of Vermont.
                      A lot of interesting stories with that family.

                      Best,
                      Kevin
                    • Jean Bellinger
                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 3, 2008

                        "So I trust that you visited the Ethan Allen homestead in Burlington?"
                        I enjoyed visiting Ethan Allen's homestead on a beautiful early June day. (They wouldn't let me spend the night though LOL). The house is right sized.

                        "And, of course, Ira Allen was the founder of the University of Vermont.
                        A lot of interesting stories with that family."
                        I am related to Allen through his mother, who was a Baker. I am also related to Ethan Allen's first wife, Mary Brownson of the CT/VT Brownson/ Brownson family, and so I am related to Gideon Bronson, a Vermont philosopher, and to the radical educator, the Transcendentalist Bronson Alcott (father of Louisa May)... interesting, radical Americans.
                        -Jean