Senior Small House Living

  • Deana Main
    Message 1 of 17 , Oct 1, 2008
      Seniors are growing to become the largest group of people in decades. We are living longer, and have worked hard to support our government and health care priviledges.

      I am asking for advice. I am asking for you, the people to stand up for the Senior now, and for the future, so that something will have changed and been put in place not only for our Middle to Lower class Seniors, (your Mom's and Dad's, Uncles, Aunts, etc) but for a choice for all people in this age group.

      A home for the Senior, and a healthy living status should be available fo all. Not some, all. I believe the Senior has very little need for large complexes of high end housing that offer the ammenities of a golf course, and lots of social activity. I feel if that is what one wants that out of life, that is fine, and you should do it. However, reality check tells me that many Seniors would be very happy knowing their neighborhood, (community) is safe, and of like minded people willing to care and be social within their own solid, small easily maintained home. For many, it is all they need, and all they care to maintain. Sort of a mini post card of the life they have lived, just with fewer complications! A solid structure, not a plastic box, made of wood, and using less energy then a traditional home. Getting rid of the clutter, and downsizing to a comfortable home and community with a community garden and nearby activities to partake in from the surrounding towns if they choose to do so.

      I dream of this community. I invite you to explore the potentials and the possibilities with me, and make it happen. I just feel very sure it is needed. More then 5 people looked and responded to my listing on www.intentionalcommunties.com without being solicited, or advertised to whatsoever they want to know "when" it will be built!  Sure, people agree, and they are wanting this to happen, but fear of loss, insecurities about the unknown aspect of starting such a place makes people shy. I am here today, to ask you....the benefactor, what & how, do we do it? I know you have the expertise I lack in some areas. Come forward, and help form a model community. I know that everyone is watching. If it does well, which I have no problem seeing that from happening, one can be assured that it will clone itself all over this great country of ours.

      Habitat....not interested in Senior housing even though their motto is: "Helping God's People in need obtain simple, decent housing."
      Katrina Houses....affiliated, will sell us plans for small houses, but that is as far as it goes.

      Seniors should have a program of their own based on these models for small house living. Investing in our own future and that of others is a "feel good" win, win situation. Please comment, advise, what you would like to see, what you need, what you can do and let's get it going!

      Small house society, resources for life, intentional communties are great places to start, and to listen to people like you and I that can make dreams become a reality for us all....The trend is set. Small house living is possible, lovely,affordable,comfortable,well constructed, and needed.
      Won't you take a moment and write me today? Thank you so very much.

      My Regards,
      Deana Main
    • Ron
      Message 2 of 17 , Oct 2, 2008
        I agree - this concept is where we need to be heading. There are people working on it - I and others have mentioned the Cottage Company in Seattle. Although they are high end, their model has great potential.

        The recent posts about the group of Buddhist programmers and green mobile home communities is also inspiring. Here is a link for the website of one of the Katrina architects - there isn't much but the drawing is a small community he is developing and provides good conceptual inspiration. http://www.katrinacottagegroup.com/

        Somebody else recently mentioned starting a forum to discuss this. I don't know if there is any activity yet but that would be a great place to encourage this idea. For now, I hope people keep talking here - I am hoping to get involved in a project like this at some point.

        Ron Czecholinski
        Owner Builder Advantage
        diy-home-building.com

      • g rooney
        Message 3 of 17 , Oct 2, 2008
          Hi Deana,
          After reading your post I started exploring the AARP website as they are one of the largest advocates for Seniors rights. www.AARP.org
          It is a complex site and I need more time for research, but I did find a page documenting the group's participation in the creation of models and changes to zoning laws and codes in the Nation, to accommodate elders that want to be independent but are on a fixed income.
          I will be learning more in the coming days but you might find this site a good place to start. Don't give up hope.
          Gerrie

          Message 4 of 17 , Oct 2, 2008
            THANKS! You are a sweetie! I did look on AARP at one point but could not find anything. I emailed, and never got anything back. I thank you for your vote of confidence. I am quite sure from all of the responses that I am receiving, that this is something that needs to happen. Hey, if Habitat could start with just two people, why can't we? Good to hear from you, Gerrie!

            My Regards,
            Deana Main

            Message 5 of 17 , Oct 2, 2008
              Re: [shs-talk] Senior Small House Living
              Hello Deana,

              Have you contacted McCammat and Durret, who write the book "Senior Cohousing"? http://seniorcohousing.com/    Maybe they would be interested.

              Some years ago a media representative at AARP told me that they had helped lobby for pro-ADU (accessory dwelling unit) legislation in California, so indeed they might have some ideas for you.

              When you say "Habitat not interested..."  --did you speak to your local affiliate or to the national office?  Habitat is a huge, decentralized organization, and chapters can take on the projects they want to.

              As mentioned elsewhere in this discussion-- if you have a group of people, find a house on a large lot and build tiny outbuildings.  In many places it's allowed, and in others even permitted :).

              Good luck,

              Shay

              http://www.aarp. org/research/ housing-mobility /

              --

              Shay Salomon
              smallhouse@...

              Little House on a Small Planet
              please visit our website:
              www.littlehouseonasmallplanet.com

            • Joe
              Message 6 of 17 , Oct 2, 2008
                Hello,

                I am the senior you speak of.
                62, ready to retire and leave the rat race.
                I've been lookinng for an IC for a few years, but have only found
                them to be high dollar.
                What we need is a Habitat for Seniors..............smaller homes, in
                a community. Maybe it's time to start one..........

                Joe in Florida
                --- In smallhousesocietyonline@yahoogroups.com, Deana Main
                <deanamain@...> wrote:

> [...]
                is: "Helping God's People in need obtain simple, decent housing."
                > Katrina Houses....affiliated, will sell us plans for small houses,
                but that is as far as it goes.

                > Seniors should have a program of their own based on these models
                for small house living. Investing in our own future and that of
                others is a "feel good" win, win situation. Please comment, advise,
                what you would like to see, what you need, what you can do and let's
                get it going!

                > Small house society, resources for life, intentional communties are
                great places to start, and to listen to people like you and I that
                can make dreams become a reality for us all....The trend is set.
                Small house living is possible, lovely,affordable,comfortable,well
                constructed, and needed.
                > Won't you take a moment and write me today? Thank you so very much.

              • Deana Main
                Message 7 of 17 , Oct 3, 2008
                  Talk to me...I'm ready, Joe! Any expertise to offer? I am building a house with Habitat in October. I hope to see what they do, and analyze what needs to be done for us! Most of the work is by volunteer. I know we Seniors, especially the younger set may be in great health yet, idle, and looking. There has got to be someone out there that is a retired builder, lawyer, surveyor, etc.??

                  <deanamain@. ..> wrote:

> [...]
                  is: "Helping God's People in need obtain simple, decent housing."
                  > Katrina Houses....affiliate d, will sell us plans for small houses,
                  but that is as far as it goes.

                  > Seniors should have a program of their own based on these models
                  for small house living. Investing in our own future and that of
                  others is a "feel good" win, win situation. Please comment, advise,
                  what you would like to see, what you need, what you can do and let's
                  get it going!

                  > Small house society, resources for life, intentional communties are
                  great places to start, and to listen to people like you and I that
                  can make dreams become a reality for us all....The trend is set.
                  Small house living is possible, lovely,affordable, comfortable, well
                  constructed, and needed.
                  > Won't you take a moment and write me today? Thank you so very much.

                • stephanie4334
                  Message 8 of 17 , Oct 3, 2008
                    My mother is 67 and lives with a small group of people on a piece of land in the southwest
                    that was put into a land conservation trust. Friends and community members helped my
                    mother build a "papercrete" cabin. Community members live a simple life and care for the
                    land, but didn't have to purchase the land and don't pay "rent" to live there.

                    Just a thought...! :-)
                  • shay salomon
                    Message 9 of 17 , Oct 5, 2008

                      Message 10 of 17 , Oct 7, 2008
                        Thank you for your response. Yes, I have ordered a few books and videos from IC. I will be receiving them shortly. I have been "poking around" at all of the ideas you suggested. I did try to get a response from the National Office, and locally, I am helping them build a home for someone here. I have been asking, and trying to get connections. I have not gotten any response. It has been suggested to me that Habitat likes the program the way it is with "payback" coming from the owners, and would have to set up a completely different sort of program for Seniors, which does not seem to be of interest to them at this time.

                        I think you were able to get more out of AARP then I, and that is a positive thought. I will re-investigate that option. I have also checked section 8 info, and so on. I do know that once a home is built, there will be more that will get involved as far as funding goes for individuals. One just has to be first.... Thanks! P.S. the land I am hoping to build on, with the Delta Health Foundation's approval, does have a home on it, and 23 acres with two ponds, ducks, and wooded area. Much work would have to be done, but could be accomplished easily. On one side, it backs up to a church, and the minister is interested in helping any way he can. Just waiting for the foundation to approve the idea. It will be less expensive to run utilities as long as a home is exhisting on the property.

                        --
                        Shay Salomon
                        smallhouse@theriver .com

                        Message 11 of 17 , Oct 7, 2008
                          Thanks for your input!

                          Message 12 of 17 , Oct 22, 2008
                            Yes! I have it thanks alot!

                            My Regards,
                            Deana Main

                            Message 13 of 17 , Oct 23, 2008
                              Deana, is there any particular part of the country, or world, that you are looking at?

                              Message 14 of 17 , Oct 23, 2008

                                From: Deana Main <deanamain@yahoo. com>
                                To: smallhousesocietyon line@yahoogroups .com
                                Date: Wednesday, October 22, 2008, 6:20 PM

                                Yes! I have it thanks alot!

                                My Regards,
                                Deana Main

                                Message 15 of 17 , Oct 25, 2008
                                  Hi Deana,
                                  What exciting news! I am so happy for you! I hope the transaction goes through smoothly but you seem like a lady who doesn't take NO for an answer often!
                                  I am not quite sure how I was instrumental in the choosing of this property but I am glad to have helped. The description sounds challenging but could be idyllic and functional with some work.

                                  Re: AARP - They spend most of their money doing lobbying work, privately and in Washington DC, for Medicare, SS and prescription drug costs, all which are enormously important issues for the elderly... and eventually for all of us! They, unfortunately, have put small housing communities at the bottom of their list.

                                  I think (IMHO) that if you and your group build a 'do-able model' and then begin a functioning community, AARP would be interested in seeing it and doing a photo-shoot and story for their magazine. I know people who read that magazine that would be interested.
                                  The 'letters to the editorr' would roll in!

                                  AARP did ask you to "keep them informed". A good sign!

                                  At any rate, keep in touch with this group. Some of us are older and looking for small house elder communities .But all of us are interested in small houses or small house communities.
                                  Good Luck and Bless You,
                                  Gerrie

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Oct 27, 2008
                                    Thank You! I really am not that stubborn! Ha! But, once I believe in a cause and feel it is worth probing for the better of many, I guess I do find inner strength! Thanks for your kind words and your advice. You are correct. AARP did say to "keep in contact".
                                    I know they help others in a magnitude of ways. However, I really believe housing is an incredible yet undiscovered for the most part need. The few that we may able to help will hopefully spring forth many more such communities all over the country.
                                     You did inspire me to keep looking. You have given me links and ideas to try. Perhaps you did not realize what a help you have been...Thanks again. I will keep you posted on the trek to Asheville NC! : )

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Oct 28, 2008

                                      Hi Deana

                                      Although my actions do not show it, I am very interested in this discussion of senior small house living. I'm catching up on email after being in Mexico and busy with my son's wedding there, and now this weekend the reception back in Pa, So I haven't had time to join in the conversation, but I am Very Interested.

                                      You mentioned Asheville, are you discussing anywhere near or connected to the intentional community, Earthhaven, I believe is the name? I've been interested in visiting that area and learning more about the alternative lifestyles of that community, sometime.

                                      When I think of housing, I think of not only seniors, but children, especially the 'illegitmate ones'
                                      as well as all traditional women (and others) who are denied jobs that do not pay enough for basic housing...but their  jobs and work nonetheless support other people's housing and basic needs..... and I, also, think of all other segments of the population that are vulnerable and do not have access to either 'buy' land and-or live with the basic needs of a quality life.

                                      So for me the housing issue of the elderly has elements and is, in some cases, a form of institutional abuse in a system constructed to meet to a larger degree the needs of the young (I won't mention health care abuses although that is a huge thing for the elderly).

                                      Housing and ownership of land are somehow always connected and I can't deal with housing separately from the ideas of ownership of land and abuses. It's how I think and have been thinking of the issue ever since 21 years ago when I was a uninformed homemaker  (NOTE: HOME-MAKER) who believed in the ideas of love and marriage until death do us part (by God, no less)  and  abruptedly had to leave my home without a job or money or career, or plan, one night, because I was threatened to be killed and in danger. and there were new expectations of a woman and how she was to deal with a 'bad' man.  Up until that point, my life was HOME-MAKING - I just didn't learn or do certain parts of it that had to do with nails and hammers. I will always be a home-maker and have remained a home-maker even when I had no home and didn't own land to build a home. I've called myself the homeless homemaker and learned by hard experience which people are considered deserving of having a homemaker and which are not...and  what parts of homemaking get counted and what doesn't. Building a small home for me has to be constructed with a foundation of proper beliefs about people and our relationship to our real home, the planet,  which I have since corrected in my own life and continue to develop after the societal crash I had which some people simplistically think is a divorce. There is a wholistic way of looking at making a home that I now embrace, much  more than I first did and I've been interested in the ideas of natural building (since 1997), natural living, and natural functioning relationships built on sustainable ideas about who we are in relationship to each other based on earth rights.

                                      Anyway, the point is that for me it is about the way we think, and then the nails and hammer
                                      are the easier part once you have the ideas and your thinking straight....and it sounds to me like you have some similar ideas as I do. I have a friend named Alanna Hartzok who wrote a book
                                      titled Earth Rights and since Earth Rights is what we put the foundation of our homes and
                                      communities on, I thought you might be interested in exploring the book. I haven't read the book myself yet, but I know the basic concept of it.

                                      Just FYI.

                                      Hope to talk to you more and hear of what develops - you have my support in spirit - whether or not that support materializes into something physical, I don't know but am open to learn and keep in touch.

                                      Re: Senior Small House Living

                                      Posted by: "Deana Main" deanamain@...   deanamain

                                      Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:17 pm (PDT)

                                      Thank You! I really am not that stubborn! Ha! But, once I believe in a cause and feel it is worth probing for the better of many, I guess I do find inner strength! Thanks for your kind words and your advice. You are correct. AARP did say to "keep in contact".
                                      I know they help others in a magnitude of ways. However, I really believe housing is an incredible yet undiscovered for the most part need. The few that we may able to help will hopefully spring forth many more such communities all over the country.
                                       You did inspire me to keep looking. You have given me links and ideas to try. Perhaps you did not realize what a help you have been...Thanks again. I will keep you posted on the trek to Asheville NC! : )

                                      Karen Henninger

                                      Media Literacy and Ecology

                                      Cultural Environmentalist Consultant

                                      Women Studies Independent Scholar and Community Education Specialist

                                      Visual Artist and Visual Writer

                                      Creative Artist of Life

                                      "The same cultural mindset that has exploited and polluted the natural resources of the planet has had the same unfortunate impact on the human global family as well. Dumping chemicals into the bodies of humans with limited ideas in brain science and chemistry is about as smart as dumping chemicals in the air, water, soil and anywhere else on the planet. The long term permanent solution is becoming smarter about ourselves, our relationship to each other and our proper relationship to our home, planet Earth. Our species' artificial design for humans can not ultimately succeed when it is on a collision course with the innate natural design for all of life on Earth. " Karen Henninger

                                      Cultural Environmentalism; promoting a movement for the people and their well being paralleling the movement in progress for the earth.

                                      karendee57@... This e-mail transmission is confidential and may contain proprietary information for the express use of the intended recipient. Any use, distribution or copying of this transmission, other than by the intended recipient, is strictly prohibited. Electronic media is susceptible to unauthorized modification, deterioration, and incompatibility. Accordingly, the electronic media version of any work product may not be relied upon.

                                      Want to read Hotmail messages in Outlook? The Wordsmiths show you how. Learn Now