Re: [shs-talk] Re: How many people will I consume to build my home?

  • g rooney
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 1, 2008
      Bill,
      How much does the metal weigh compared to wood framing?
      Gerrie

      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 1, 2008
        Bill,

        I'd love to know more about metal framing. I also noticed Kent's post
        on his blog (http://tinyhouseblog.com/stick-built/do-it-yourself/)
        about your new Naked Galapagos. Very cool!

        Can you tell us more about the benefits of building this way? I know
        it's common in commercial construction but I don't have any experience
        with it and it seems to be the best way to build a mobile tiny
        house... light weight, strong, etc.

        Thanks!
        Michael

        --- In smallhousesocietyonline@yahoogroups.com, g rooney
        <gerrie4unity@...> wrote:

        > Bill,
        > How much does the metal weigh compared to wood framing?
        > Gerrie

      • Ron
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 2, 2008
          Metal framing is a great choice in mild climates. The downside is that it is a great heat conductor, which presents a problem when energy efficiency is a major consideration in colder climates.

          Ron

          Ron Czecholinski
          Owner Builder Advantage
          diy-home-building.com

        • tanja@riverrock.org
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 8, 2008
            Hi, all,

            I remember reading that Jay Shafer started his tiny house adventure
            retrofitting an Airstream trailer with a beautiful wood interior. He had
            a horrible problem with the metal condensing water in the cold and really
            wreaking havoc on the wood. Metal framing has it's appeal, but I would
            really look into the condensation issue. I don't know if there is some
            sort of foam or cating that it could be sprayed with that would get around
            the issue. And persoanlly I would look very seriously into the
            electro-magnetic field issues of living surrounded by a
            electically-conductive metal frame. My thoughts, Tanja

            > Bill,
            > How much does the metal weigh compared to wood framing?
            > Gerrie

          • Sherman Johnson
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 8, 2008
              Actually, if a person is concerned about EMF or RF energy, having a metal
              frame around you is a good thing -- particularly if it's well grounded.

              It is essentially a "Faraday Cage":
              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage

              Sherman