Rolling Gothic?

  • Christopher Rasch
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 9, 2004
      Hi,

      I'm considering purchasing the plans to build the Rolling Gothic house
      designed by Jaf Shafer of the Tumbleweed Tiny House Co.
      (http://www.tumbleweedhouses.com). Have any of you built this house?
      If so, I would be grateful for any feedback on a few questions I have:

      1. How much did it ultimately cost you?

      2. Assuming that you

      a. were working mostly alone, but with occasional help from friends
      and/or consultants (carpenters etc.)
      b. had few carpentry skills to begin with

      How long would you estimate it would take? (In total manhours.)

      3. What tools were required to build it?

      4. Where did you buy your trailer? What kind of trailer did you use?

      5. What quality of lumber did you use? Where did you buy it?

      6. Did you have any trouble parking it due to zoning regulations?

      7. What "gotchas" or unexpectedly difficult tasks did you face?

      Thanks for any information you may wish to provide.

      Chris Rasch
    • Gregory Johnson
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 9, 2004
        Hi Christopher,

        Thanks for writing. Last summer I had an opportunity to build a home
        with Jay Shafer. It is a home similar to the Rolling Gothic, but
        slightly smaller. I'll try to answer some of your questions.

        (1) Cost. The cost to build the homes is reflected fairly accurately in
        the pricing for pre-built homes. Of course, you can save a little by
        'donating' the labor yourself. Since there is no such thing as 'free
        time' you need to consider what you could have done with that time (how
        much potential income was lost).

        (2) Time. I had few carpentry skills, but with Jay's help it wasn't a
        problem. In addition to the two of us working, we had occasional help
        from friends. It took about three to four months to build. Jay would
        have a better idea of total work hours involved, and it would be more
        for a larger home.

        (3) Tools. We didn't need any special tools. As I recall, we used
        drills, a miter saw, a circular saw, tin snips, and hammers.

        (4) Trailer. We bough a steel flat-bed trailer here in Iowa. If you're
        considering purchasing a trailer, you will probably want to buy one
        locally to avoid shipping costs.

        (5) Lumber. The lumber and most of the other building supplies used are
        fairly standard. We used cedar, pine, and some plywood. You should
        probably plan to purchase the best quality lumber that your budget can
        afford. Since it is a small structure, it makes it a little easier to
        purchase higher grade materials.

        (6) Zoning. This depends on the community. Many towns have zoning
        ordinances that only apply to structures built on the ground.
        Potentially moveable structures are typically considered temporary and
        zoning doesn't apply to them. If you run an extension cord, plumbing,
        or other utilities to the little house it is considered permanent (even
        if it is on wheels) so it must be sustainable, self-contained, and self
        sufficient.

        (7) Unexpected. We actually didn't run into any considerable glitches
        along the way, at least with those things which were within our
        control. A few custom items that were special ordered had been
        manufactured incorrectly. I think this is probably to be expected. But
        the manufacturers were quick to make corrections.

        I hope this helps. I'm sure Jay can provide you with more insights.
        I'll forward this e-mail to him so he can reply as well.

        Regards,
        Greg

        Gregory Johnson
        Volunteer Supporting Member of the Small House Society

        Internet: http://www.smallhousesociety.org/
        E-Mail: SmallHouseSociety@...
        Postal: PO Box 607, Iowa City, IA 52244-0607

        On Mar 9, 2004, at 12:16 PM, Christopher Rasch wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I'm considering purchasing the plans to build the Rolling Gothic house
        > designed by Jaf Shafer of the Tumbleweed Tiny House Co.
        > (http://www.tumbleweedhouses.com). Have any of you built this house?
        > If so, I would be grateful for any feedback on a few questions I have:
        >
        > 1. How much did it ultimately cost you?
        >
        > 2. Assuming that you
        >
        > a. were working mostly alone, but with occasional help from friends
        > and/or consultants (carpenters etc.)
        > b. had few carpentry skills to begin with
        >
        > How long would you estimate it would take? (In total manhours.)
        >
        > 3. What tools were required to build it?
        >
        > 4. Where did you buy your trailer? What kind of trailer did you use?
        >
        > 5. What quality of lumber did you use? Where did you buy it?
        >
        > 6. Did you have any trouble parking it due to zoning regulations?
        >
        > 7. What "gotchas" or unexpectedly difficult tasks did you face?
        >
        > Thanks for any information you may wish to provide.
        >
        > Chris Rasch

        > ---------------------~-->
        > Canada.
        > http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
        > http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/tOsolB/TM

      • Christopher Rasch
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 9, 2004
          Hi Gregory,

          Thanks for the reply and for forwarding my questions on to Jay Shafer!

          > (1) Cost. The cost to build the homes is reflected fairly accurately
          > in
          > the pricing for pre-built homes. Of course, you can save a little by
          > 'donating' the labor yourself. Since there is no such thing as 'free
          > time' you need to consider what you could have done with that time
          > (how
          > much potential income was lost).

          Yes, you're quite right. However, my "day job" is all intellectual
          work, and in my "free time" I would like to work on something that
          produces a more tangible result.

          > (2) Time. I had few carpentry skills, but with Jay's help it wasn't a
          > problem. In addition to the two of us working, we had occasional help
          > from friends. It took about three to four months to build. Jay would
          > have a better idea of total work hours involved, and it would be more
          > for a larger home.

          Was this fulltime work? How many hours/week did you spend on it?

          > (4) Trailer. We bough a steel flat-bed trailer here in Iowa. If
          > you're
          > considering purchasing a trailer, you will probably want to buy one
          > locally to avoid shipping costs.

          Thanks! Is there any brand that you would particularly recommend?

          Chris
        • Gregory Johnson
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 10, 2004
            Hi Chris,

            We spent some long days working on the house. I think some weeks we put
            in about 50 to 70 hours (of combined labor). There may have been some
            less esthetically pleasing ways to cut the time, but we were paying
            attention to detail. Menards is a local lumber supplier that we thought
            had a good selection of materials.

            Let me know if I can be of more help.

            Regards,
            Gregory

            On Mar 9, 2004, at 9:49 PM, Christopher Rasch wrote:

            > Hi Gregory,
            >
            > Thanks for the reply and for forwarding my questions on to Jay Shafer!
            >

            >> (1) Cost. The cost to build the homes is reflected fairly accurately
            >> in
            >> the pricing for pre-built homes. Of course, you can save a little by
            >> 'donating' the labor yourself. Since there is no such thing as 'free
            >> time' you need to consider what you could have done with that time
            >> (how
            >> much potential income was lost).
            >
            > Yes, you're quite right. However, my "day job" is all intellectual
            > work, and in my "free time" I would like to work on something that
            > produces a more tangible result.
            >

            >> (2) Time. I had few carpentry skills, but with Jay's help it wasn't
            >> problem. In addition to the two of us working, we had occasional
            >> help
            >> from friends. It took about three to four months to build. Jay would
            >> have a better idea of total work hours involved, and it would be
            >> more
            >> for a larger home.
            >
            > Was this fulltime work? How many hours/week did you spend on it?
            >
            >> (4) Trailer. We bough a steel flat-bed trailer here in Iowa. If
            >> you're
            >> considering purchasing a trailer, you will probably want to buy one
            >> locally to avoid shipping costs.
            >
            > Thanks! Is there any brand that you would particularly recommend?
            >
            > Chris
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Christopher Rasch
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 10, 2004
              Hi Gregory,

              Thanks for the information. So it would be reasonable to expect to put
              in between 800 - 1120 hours (50 - 70 hrs / week * 16 weeks) to build
              one of these?

              Chris
            • Gregory Johnson
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 10, 2004
                Chris,

                That number of hours, I would think, should be more than enough. I
                suppose if you plan on many hours and it takes less time you won't be
                disappointed.

                Gregory