resources / advice for getting started on tiny house?

  • Maureen O'Regan
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 4, 2013
      Hello everyone, I am new to this group and this is my first post.

      Can anyone recommend good resources, or offer specific advice for someone with absolutely no special skills for building, etc., but feeling ready to materialize the dream for a tiny house?  I'd love to have a point in the right direction because I'm ready to start taking steps on this.

      I'd like to build with found or low-cost used materials, but have nowhere to store a tiny-house worth of lumber, etc.  My guess is that it would therefore be best to buy a trailer / get the shell of the tiny house built new and then salvage / install other things as I go along?

      Specifically, here are some details on my own situation:

      I am very clear that I want to have it built and not build it myself.  Could be fun if I had the time, but not my reality.

      I would love to look for free stuff on Craigslist, etc. to cut down on costs.  I have a place to stay and the luxury of as much time as I need to get this done.

      I already have a backyard space that I can use for this project - and stay there when it's finished.

      I don't want a super tiny house.  Would like at least a 20 foot long trailer.  I don't seem to see many of them of that size used.  I wonder if that would be possible or if I'd have to go new if I want something this big?

      Thanks!  I appreciate any suggestions.

      Maureen

    • robc
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 4, 2013
        8by18 and 8by20 are common. Tumbleweed sells custom trailers built for purpose. You can have a trailer place build one to those specs.
        I got most of my materials on CL including all the lumber,wood flooring new white oak for free from a completed job leftovers.
        Windows brand new $50 each. Craftsman style door never installed show room sample $50 mspr $1300 etc etc.
        Attend one of the many workshops put on by fourlights tiny house,or tumbleweed,or take a basic construction class at a local CC.
        Have fun
        Robert
        3years 6months in thetinybungalow
        that's 1 year 2 months longer than Thoreau lived in his 12 by 12 cabin on Walden pond.