Re: [shs-talk] A couple of questions about traveling with your small home

  • Angela Leslee
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 2, 2013
      Sorry, I don't know your name :-)

      I would say that my Tiny home is not meant to be used as a travel trailer, i.e. not really meant to be moved around a lot.  It is built to be semi-permanent.  I have lived in it for 18 months now.  If I wanted to, I could certainly hitch it up again and move it somewhere, but I designed it such that I was not planning to move it much.  I would have to dismantle my covered porch, my battery cabinet for my solar panels, my water catchment would have to be moved, my solar panels are separate.........

      I imagine it would be easier to move a Tiny home that is plugged into the grid, but being off grid, there are many things that would have to move.

      I think really it depends upon your needs and desires, you would want to design one that works for you.

      As for insurance, so far here in hawaii I have had no luck!!!  Have called every place that anyone has recommended and then asked them for recommendations......so far, none extend to Hawaii for some reason.... probably just there has been no need for it yet.

      So again, it's just a matter of doing your homework in your state, then thinking hard about your intention for your Tiny home.

      I can't imagine living anywhere else :-)

      Aloha
      Angela

      On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 6:24 AM, smehenwv <kc4sqw@...> wrote:

      If this has been asked before, I apologize. I have a couple of questions about when you travel with your tiny homes.

      1. What kind of insurance covers the tiny home? I mean is it categorized as an RV, a camper, a mobile home, or a home built trailer?

      2. Most of the tiny home are built on duel wheeled frames. If you get a flat tire, Do you have the means to change the tire yourself or are there road side assistance companies that will do it for you? I know that AAA roadside does not always cover vehicles with duel wheels and not all recreation vehicles are covered (I said recreation vehicles because I am not sure how the roadside assistance companies would categorize the tiny homes).

      3. A question for those who have had their tiny homes for a while now. About how many times would you say that your tiny home can be safely moved and set up? I know it sounds like a strange question, but I once looked at a similar home on wheels and was told that it was meant to be moved to a permanent or semi-permanent location and was not intended to be moved around like a travel trailer.

      Thank you in advance.

    • SueB
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 3, 2013
        Thank you so much. You have given me some valuable information. I am
        still in the planning stages and am doing my research. :)
        Once again, thank you all.
        Sue B from Florida