downsizing continues

  • rjs987
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 2, 2013
      Well, last spring in the middle of one of my downsizing spurts (you have to go in spurts since you have to stop and evaluate where you are with it on occasion) I filled four 35 gallon garbage bags full of clothes to donate. Just emptied a few drawers and plastic bins from the closet of stuff that didn't fit anymore or I wasn't using over the last year. My wife wanted to review what I was donating so it all just sat in our storage room for many months. She finally looked at it... sort of, and I thought she was going to return half of the stuff back to my drawers but instead added more stuff of mine and hers. We ended up with 12 of bags of clothes and shoes, most were the 35 gallon bags and the rest were large big box store bags. It all went to Goodwill this afternoon. After I returned she found another bag full of clothes to take on a future (soon) trip. I expect there will be more yet. I also have a box of books I no longer need to keep that will be going to the Half-Price-Books store (they buy back used books). I am still going through the books on hand so that trip is yet to happen.

      How do you spell relief? No more storing all that stuff. More space available to keep clear (IE: don't need so much space now so a little closer to downsizing the dwelling). That feels good.

      /bob
    • Sheri Lew
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 3, 2013
        This is encouraging!  We need to do the same.  Problem is I am a collector of antique smalls and crafts-sewing, painting-oil and water based paints and wood sculpture, mostly birds in miniature with lots of tools-hand carving and electric. These are too costly to abandon now!  Decisions, decisions!!
        But I must start somewhere.  Any tips welcome.

        On Sat, Feb 2, 2013 at 3:41 PM, rjs987 <rshwery@...> wrote:

[...]

      • MotherLodeBeth
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 3, 2013
          In 2007 I downsized drastically and sold and donated a good half of everything I had. My husband had died a couple years earlier and while our home was small (700 sq ft) compared to most peoples home, I wanted something smaller.   So I found a smaller place under 400 sq ft and started to pack what I wanted to move with me.

          One thing I learned was I should have started packing months before I even planned to move, because I would have spent more time getting rid of more stuff, simply by thinking harder about what I NEEDED to keep.  Because when I unpacked after moving I ended up getting rid of even more stuff.   If you are paying to have things moved, why pay to move stuff you do NOT need or even want?

          Yes, I had some items like Lenox china,Waterford crystal, etc but most was sold or given to friends/family with me keeping the dishes I actually used a lot. They get stored in a seat bench near the table.  Just because I live small doesn't mean I do not like nice things.

          This is something I am starting to do now, since I would like to move further remote come summer, here in the Sierras, to a smaller place around 300 sq ft.  As long as I have room for a vegetable garden, a dozen hens, and a couple milk goats, and off grid I am happy.

          ~: Beth in the CA Sierras:~
        • rjs987
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 3, 2013
            Your situation reflects real life. Downsizing does not necessarily mean get rid of everything so that you can fit into the smallest of tiny houses. If you can do that and still have all that makes you happy and that you need then great! BUT, you are a collector. The things you collect are precious to you and have great meaning. You can still possibly downsize in other things so as to not take up any more space than needed, and still keep the collectibles. If that means you need 1200 sq ft or even 1800 sq ft for space for what you need to make you happy then that is YOUR minimum living space. And that's what it's all about. The whole problem as I have come to understand it (not to say I totally understand it) is that people, especially in the U.S. and a few other countries, have WAY more space and stuff than we need to be happy. The result is we are stressed out about all the stuff and depressed about the need for more work to make more money to buy more stuff (brainwashing here) and so on and so on. We are brainwashed into buying more stuff just to spend more money. It's what the current economy is based on and that needs to change. Deep down we all know we don't need all that stuff so we are conflicted about it and cannot be happy because of all this. Downsizing is about getting rid of the excess and only keeping what you need to be happy. You have a hobby/collection that makes you happy. That would be stuff worth keeping. It's a process that may take many years to do. There are a lot of things I have still that I know I don't need, just need the time to sift them out to the donation-garbage-recycle bins. There is also a lot of stuff being kept that, after some time and thought about it, I will realize I don't need. That's really where the time comes in. Eventually I will downsize "my" stuff to the point where all of it will fit in one or two small closets. My wife is just beginning to see the need to downsize some of her stuff but that is just in the dawning stage. Someday we will get to where all our stuff will fit into a few small closets. I know I can live within 150-200 sq ft. I really only use a small bit of space in 2 rooms and also a small office that has entirely too much stuff in it still. I don't think my wife would be happy in that small a space... at least not yet. Hope this helps a little.

            /bob

            --- In smallhousesocietyonline@yahoogroups.com, Sheri Lew wrote:

            > This is encouraging! We need to do the same. Problem is I am a collector
            > of antique smalls and crafts-sewing, painting-oil and water based paints
            > and wood sculpture, mostly birds in miniature with lots of tools-hand
            > carving and electric. These are too costly to abandon now! Decisions,
            > decisions!!
            > But I must start somewhere. Any tips welcome.
            >

            > On Sat, Feb 2, 2013 at 3:41 PM, rjs987 wrote:
            >
            > > **
            > >

            > > Well, last spring in the middle of one of my downsizing spurts (you have
            > > to go in spurts since you have to stop and evaluate where you are with it
            > > on occasion) I filled four 35 gallon garbage bags full of clothes to
            > > donate. Just emptied a few drawers and plastic bins from the closet of
            > > stuff that didn't fit anymore or I wasn't using over the last year. My wife
            > > wanted to review what I was donating so it all just sat in our storage room
            > > for many months. She finally looked at it... sort of, and I thought she was
            > > going to return half of the stuff back to my drawers but instead added more
            > > stuff of mine and hers. We ended up with 12 of bags of clothes and shoes,
            > > most were the 35 gallon bags and the rest were large big box store bags. It
            > > all went to Goodwill this afternoon. After I returned she found another bag
            > > full of clothes to take on a future (soon) trip. I expect there will be
            > > more yet. I also have a box of books I no longer need to keep that will be
            > > going to the Half-Price-Books store (they buy back used books). I am still
            > > going through the books on hand so that trip is yet to happen.
            > >
            > > How do you spell relief? No more storing all that stuff. More space
            > > available to keep clear (IE: don't need so much space now so a little
            > > closer to downsizing the dwelling). That feels good.
            > >
            > > /bob

          • Minerva Ravenwing
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 3, 2013
              Ah! the good life!

              Minerva Ravenwing
              wickedwitchwest at ravelry

              "Thought is the blossom; language the bud; action the fruit behind it."

              Ralph Waldo Emerson

              On Feb 3, 2013, at 2:36 PM, MotherLodeBeth wrote:

              This is something I am starting to do now, since I would like to move further remote come summer, here in the Sierras, to a smaller place around 300 sq ft.  As long as I have room for a vegetable garden, a dozen hens, and a couple milk goats, and off grid I am happy.

              ~: Beth in the CA Sierras:~

            • Robin
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 3, 2013
                Sheri, here is a tip: send me your excess miniatures; we love birds! :)
                Seriously, start by giving away anything you're not using now, with the faith that if you need it "someday" the universe will give it back to you. The more we gave away, the more we enjoying giving away, and the more we enjoying having space instead of things. We downsized from a large traditional house to a 580 sf cottage we rebuilt with recycled materials. We gave away my car a few years ago (we both commute by bike), and now my husband's decided to sell our beloved van. We realized that the few times we need a vehicle, we can rent or carshare. A life of freedom.
                Seriously P.S. if you do decide to downsize your miniature carvings, we know a good home :)