Re: Dee Williams

  • robc
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 1, 2012
      I often find myself considering things I think I need and that leads to a great amount of exercise. For instance the other day while in Costco I picked up a 1 terabyte portable hard drive to increase much needed storage on my little Asus netbook computer. $89 with rebate was quite a good deal.I walked and walked and walked some more around Costco and after a half hour of walking put it back on the shelf after deciding I would just do some house cleaning of the current hard drive and clear out space for free. This freed up $89 to be used on something else that I think I really need and can once again keep walking and walking and walking till I think myself out of needing that item also.
      Regards,
      Robert
      The Tiny Bungalow

      --- In smallhousesocietyonline@yahoogroups.com, MotherLodeBeth <MotherLodeBeth@...> wrote:

      > Watching Dee Williams I was reminded of a few friends who like myself have made some very serious lifestyle changes in the last few years, and how they were noting that if this country wants to get physically healthy, less obese, a small house is a start.
      >
      > Because when you live small you tend to eat healthier items because you probably have a smaller refrigerator and eat more fresh foods, which helps you lose weight. You have to move more be it getting to a bed in a loft, or getting water, dumping a compost toilet, riding a bike or walking to work, store etc. This also aids in losing weight and getting fit.
      >
      > And you spent less because you have less space, which means the things you have probably get used, or if clothes, worn. And like she noted you may well have more interaction with people because you depend on others for things like water,shower, or land use. And living lighter on the land means you are walking the talk as far as using natural resources.
      >
      > http://www.resourcesforlife.com/docs/item5458 Dee Williams.
      >

      > ~: Beth California Sierra foothills:~
      >

      > ~: Beth California Sierra foothills:~

    • MotherLodeBeth
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 1, 2012
        Robert I LOVE hearing lessons like this!!!!  May I ask is memory the same as storage?  Have a friend who says her computer says she could use more memory.

        ~: Beth California Sierra foothills:~

          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 1, 2012
            Also wanted to mention that I watched the video. I've watched as many of these on Jay, Dee, and many others as I can find online and enjoyed them all. Some of these videos are what inspired me to "get on" with downsizing my stuff. I have had a tendency toward keeping my life simplified as to how I live it... other than collecting way too much stuff that just takes up space and effort to heat/cool/clean/maintain/etc. I intend to continue for how ever long it takes to get rid of stuff I don't use or need (and there is a lot of it). Dee touched on something that I've heard from many others, though most of these others have not acted on it by keeping their lives minimal to just what they need. That is the truth that when we each leave this earth we cannot take any of our stuff with us. One more incentive to only keep what I need and can use now. The rest just doesn't matter. Only what I do for and with others will continue on.

            /bob

            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 1, 2012
              WOW learn something new everyday. Thanks Bob.

              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 1, 2012
                I highly recommend the YouTube video Thoreauvian simple living: unelectrified, timeless tiny home which is about  Diana and Michael Lorence who moved to a 12-foot-square home. The style if very much my own.  Although in this 100*+ weather I am so glad to have power to run a small fan.   Ran into another small house friend and they had lost a good 40 lbs and said its because they live in a smaller place and it helps to be less overweight <G> which made me laugh.
[...]

              • rjs987
                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 2, 2012
                  I did see that one!
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDbrUk2xYBo
                  A really nice small home. I like the house and setting. That would be enough for the two of us but my wife needs a cook's kitchen so there would need to be more of that part of the house. And we would still need power for the kitchen appliances. My choice would be solar. Solar for power in the house and solar for well pump. I haven't decided yet between propane for heat and cooking or having a bigger solar array for electric heat. A gray water wetland irrigation area and compost pile to fertilize a medium-large veggie garden and we'd be set. I would want to be a little closer to people though. I am private but not that private. We like having people around.

                  /bob

                  --- In smallhousesocietyonline@yahoogroups.com, MotherLodeBeth <MotherLodeBeth@...> wrote:

                  > I highly recommend the YouTube video Thoreauvian simple living: unelectrified, timeless tiny home which is about Diana and Michael Lorence who moved to a 12-foot-square home. The style if very much my own. Although in this 100*+ weather I am so glad to have power to run a small fan. Ran into another small house friend and they had lost a good 40 lbs and said its because they live in a smaller place and it helps to be less overweight <G> which made me laugh.
                  >
                  > ~: Beth California Sierra foothills:~

                • marganne
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 3, 2012
                    Have you (or anyone) found a location where the building codes would allow for a small home co-housing or HOA project? I've been pushing this for several years with national co-ho members to no avail. Most often building code restrictions are cited.

                    To me, the marriage of a home with less square feet combined with a 'common' house is a natural. Also hope it would create more affordable housing. Although many small home residents enjoy a more secluded setting, many of us would enjoy living in a small community with shared resources.

                    On Jun 2, 2012, at 8:23 AM, rjs987 wrote:

                     I would want to be a little closer to people though. I am private but not that private. We like having people around.

                    Cheers!
                    Marganne

                  • MotherLodeBeth
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jun 3, 2012
                      Berkeley, San Francisco, Davis and our area of CA, as well as areas of Oregon, Seattle are places I am aware of. In fact there is one well know small house shared housing area in Davis CA.

                      ~: Beth California Sierra foothills:~
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jun 3, 2012
                        I think many of these are well-known cohousing projects or cooperatives. You can see a long list of them in almost every state (and outside the country) via the national (and regional) web sites (URLs below).

                        I haven't found any that use small, individual homes with a common house (a-la cohousing).

                        The two projects I'm aware of in Davis are cohousing -- one specially built for a project (individual normal-sized homes) and the other is being created via purchase of normal sized homes, one at a time, on the same street. Are these the ones you mention above in your post?

                        My biggest problem with existing cohousing is the lack of affordable units. Some come down to $150,000, but most are in the $200,000 to $400,000 range, plus monthly co-ho dues. Even 'normal' cohousing projects still have problems meeting building codes and getting financing.

                        On Jun 3, 2012, at 2:13 PM, MotherLodeBeth wrote:

                        Berkeley, San Francisco, Davis and our area of CA, as well as areas of Oregon, Seattle are places I am aware of. In fact there is one well know small house shared housing area in Davis CA.

                        Cheers!
                        Marganne

                      • Yahoo
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jun 3, 2012
                          How hard would it be to get the laws changed to make micro homes legal? I often talk of the mobile home laws. I feel like if we started in a certain state and worked to make it national law it would work out. I can't get investors in my small home business when they find out it is illegal.

                          Http://About.me/zackjones
                        • MotherLodeBeth
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jun 3, 2012
                            Personally I think someone who gets something going in places like California, Seattle, Oregon, Colorado, even Katrina area places, would find that the rest of the country gets on board.  But...remember the big corporate home builders hate the idea of folks not wanting their subdivision messes.   For me its akin to raw milk. We want it, get it, yet in other counties its not legal.  So it takes a LOT of people demanding their life, liberty and pursuit of happiness to get something done.

                            ~: Beth California Sierra foothills:~

                              How hard would it be to get the laws changed to make micro homes legal? I often talk of the mobile home laws. I feel like if we started in a certain state and worked to make it national law it would work out. I can't get investors in my small home business when they find out it is illegal.

                            Http://About.me/zackjones

                          • Jim Henry
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jun 3, 2012
                              Zack,
                              I really think you need from the local level on up. Municipal
                              and county are the levels most relevant to this. I just cannot
                              imagine any Constitutional defense of such a law on the federal
                              level. It really should be up to states, counties, and
                              municipalities.

                              ---
                              Jim Henry - jimhenry2000 - Skype and Yahoo - jhenry@...

                              On Sun Jun 03 21:13:46 CDT 2012, Yahoo
                              <zachary_tyler_jones@...> wrote:

                              How hard would it be to get the laws changed to make micro homes
                              legal? I often talk of the mobile home laws. I feel like if we
                              started in a certain state and worked to make it national law it
                              would work out. I can't get investors in my small home business
                              when they find out it is illegal.

                              Http://About.me/zackjones
                            • Jack
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jun 3, 2012
                                In our neck of the woods, they view it as a major housing development and it requires a Subdivision plan.   Just as if you were building a block of standard homes.   It is very narrow thinking.    Plus in the current economy of no construction and empty homes from foreclosures  they are hurting for revenue.
                              • TerriM
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jun 4, 2012
                                  I am working on the idea of a tiny-house-on-wheels cohousing community here in my area of coastal California. It seems like this would fall under the "trailer park" building codes rather than the "housing development" rules here. There are still kind of a lot of regulations, but at least it's the model I want - individual homes, each with a pad and parking space, and a common building with shared kitchen, library, laundry facilities, etc. and a big garden. I'm hoping the "on wheels" aspect will help us avoid the housing building regs, which are quite draconian, and I'm not sure would even allow tiny houses at this time. My ideal is 10 acres somewhere in the forest, not too far out of town, with 6-10 tiny houses on it. This is a 5-10 year plan for me. Has anyone heard of something like this anywhere in the country?

                                  Terri

                                  --- In smallhousesocietyonline@yahoogroups.com, Jim Henry <jhenry@...> wrote:

                                  > Zack,
                                  > I really think you need from the local level on up. Municipal
                                  > and county are the levels most relevant to this. I just cannot
                                  > imagine any Constitutional defense of such a law on the federal
                                  > level. It really should be up to states, counties, and
                                  > municipalities.
                                  >
                                  > ---
                                  > Jim Henry - jimhenry2000 - Skype and Yahoo - jhenry@...
                                  >

                                  > On Sun Jun 03 21:13:46 CDT 2012, Yahoo
                                  > <zachary_tyler_jones@...> wrote:
                                  >
                                  > How hard would it be to get the laws changed to make micro homes
                                  > legal? I often talk of the mobile home laws. I feel like if we
                                  > started in a certain state and worked to make it national law it
                                  > would work out. I can't get investors in my small home business
                                  > when they find out it is illegal.
                                  >
                                  > Http://About.me/zackjones

                                • marganne
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jun 4, 2012
                                    Spend a little time on Gregory's Small House Society website. He's got LOTS of information about building codes nationwide and talks about what he went through to make a little progress in his own town of Iowa City. Check out his video presentations about his journeys.

                                    Check out the sites below to find out what already has been tried or what already is in the process of being tried and why there is resistance. There's A LOT of information and stories about people who have focused on this topic throughout the internet. Then let's have a conversation here about how to approach building a small house cohousing project.

                                    www.cohousing.org