Source for small L-shaped house plans?

  • eshieldsga
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 2, 2012
      Hi - I am new here, have been lurking for a while. My partner and I would like to move in together at some point, if we could find or build a smallish house we could live in together without killing each other. That means a shared kitchen and main living space and main bedroom, with a separate bathroom and retreat space/office for each of us and an extra bedroom, in the range of 900 - 1200 s.f. So we are tiny livers, but much smaller than most Americans.

      I am thinking L-shaped or U-shaped, with the kitchen and at the junction and bedroom/office spaces farthest out on the wings. Does anyone know of likely sources for plans? If you search for L-shaped plans, you will likely find plans that have the garage on the short arm of the L. We don't need a garage.
      Thanks!
    • Russ
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 2, 2012
        Convert the garage? 900 sq feet is huge! My future L-shaped 448 sq foot house (on two levels mind you) even seems big to me after living in 140 sq feet for three years now. God luck.

        Nemo vir est qui mundum non reddat meliorem

      • larencorie@axilar.net
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 4, 2012
          Posted by: "eshieldsga" eshieldsga@...

          > My partner and I would like to move in together at some
          > point, if we could find or build a smallish house we could
          > live in together without killing each other. That means a
          > shared kitchen and main living space and main bedroom, with
          > a separate bathroom and retreat space/office for each of us
          > and an extra bedroom, in the range of 900 - 1200 s.f.

          > I am thinking L-shaped or U-shaped, with the kitchen and
          > at the junction and bedroom/office spaces farthest out on
          > the wings.

          Hello (name?)

          There is no particular reason to assume that an "L"
          shape would meet those specific needs any better, or
          even as well as a rectangle, or any other geometric
          footprint shape. It is always best to establish the
          relationships between the various spaces/elements
          through the development of a "bubble diagram"
          before assuming the building's shape. Then, the
          floor plan can be formed, based on all the various
          factors, such as energy efficiency Passive Solar
          and natural cooling), site dimensions, structural
          efficiency, aesthetics, etc, as well as the bubble
          diagram. So, do not limit yourself to just "L"
          shapes. Multiple levels is another choice, that
          can provide additional separate space, without
          adding to the footprint, or the roof area. If
          your building site is sloping, a walkout level
          may be an economical way to provide additional
          floor area, and separation of the spaces,
          within a smaller footprint.

          > Does anyone know of likely sources for plans?

          If you keep looking, online, you may be able to
          find a small four bedroom plan, where two could
          be used as office/retreat space (but it will be
          hard), or you could have it custom designed.
          Then, owner-contract the construction.

          > If you search for L-shaped plans, you will
          > likely find plans that have the garage on the
          > short arm of the L. We don't need a garage.

          It sounds like you need to look longer, to
          find one without that. There are lots of plans
          without attached garages, and many with, which
          can be built without. You also might find one
          with two bedrooms, then use its garage space
          for two more bedroom. However, finding a four
          bedroom house, with two non-master bedrooms
          that have their own bathrooms, in a 900-1200
          sqft plan, will take a lot of looking. It is
          a very unusual request, therefore designers
          of stock plans are not likely to offer it.

          I was raised in an 864sqft house with three
          small bedrooms and one minimal sized bathroom.
          It was a very well thought through floor plan
          (though more for post-war era mentality, than
          what most of us prefer today) and they built
          thousands of houses like it. It would be impos-
          -sible to squeeze another bedroom and bathroom
          into just 36 additional sqft. So, your bottom
          end of 900sqft may be too low, for all your
          expectations, though you might fit it all into
          a fairly tight 1000sqft. On the other hand,
          I am currently drawing up plans (for a client)
          for a 750sqft house that has two baths and two
          bedrooms, with one of them being quite large
          (It is definitely a real fine master bedroom).
          Two more bedrooms, added onto something like
          that, could still be in the 900 sqft range
          It even has an open stairway/balcony and nice
          separated Foyer area. So, it does seem to be
          a workable request. But, you are far more
          likely to find the number of rooms you seek,
          in the 1200sqft (and up) range, and you may
          even have to sacrifice the guest bedroom,
          or build it as an addition, if you use a
          stock plan. But, you may find it. So,
          keep looking.

          Posted by: "Russ" B1200@...

          > 900 sq feet is huge!

          Hi Russ;

          Try drawing it up (to code) with four
          bedrooms (one of them master) and two bath
          rooms, and it won't seem "huge" anymore.

          Laren Corie-
          Natural Solar Building Design Since 1975
          www.ThermalAttic.com

          Read my Solar house design articles in:
          -Energy Self-Sufficiency Newsletter-
          www.rebelwolf.com/essn.html

          Home base-LittleHouses YahooGroup
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LittleHouses/

          Founder-WoodGas - Power from wood
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WoodGas

          Founder-RefrigeratorAlternatives YahooGroup
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RefrigeratorAlternatives
        • eshieldsga
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 4, 2012
            To clarify, the plans I have seen for l-shaped houses are both too big and contain garages. I would like to see plans I might consider building, not plans that are l-shaped that are inappropriate because they are too big and contain garages I don't want.

            I should have said, we are not tiny-house livers, but still smaller than most US houses that have been built in the last 25 years. Perhaps this is the wrong place for me to ask for help with something so "huge," though.

            --- In smallhousesocietyonline@yahoogroups.com, Russ <B1200@...> wrote:

            > Convert the garage? 900 sq feet is huge! My future L-shaped 448 sq foot house (on two levels mind you) even seems big to me after living in 140 sq feet for three years now. God luck.
            >

            > Nemo vir est qui mundum non reddat meliorem

          • robc
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 4, 2012
              Draw it up on paper and sketch it out on google sketch.
              http://sketchup.google.com/
              900 sq ft is small and it is part of what the small house society is all about even if it is on the large size to a lot of us that have learned properly planned you can live big in even tinier spaces.
              A U shaped house with one wing 15 by 20 ft containing living room and tech office space. A narrow center area with galley kitchen and dining room of 15 by 20 ft and a 2 bedroom wing with a central bathroom and master bedroom at the far end of a 15by 25ft wing.
              Central courtyard. Sliding glass patio door to courtyard and main entry into the wing containing the living room /office adaptation.
              Makes great use of small lot size and is quite attractive with an arched entry into the garden/landscaped courtyard via a nicely detailed sidewalk leading up to the house.

              --- In smallhousesocietyonline@yahoogroups.com, "eshieldsga" <eshieldsga@...> wrote:

              > To clarify, the plans I have seen for l-shaped houses are both too big and contain garages. I would like to see plans I might consider building, not plans that are l-shaped that are inappropriate because they are too big and contain garages I don't want.
              >
              > I should have said, we are not tiny-house livers, but still smaller than most US houses that have been built in the last 25 years. Perhaps this is the wrong place for me to ask for help with something so "huge," though.
              >
              > --- In smallhousesocietyonline@yahoogroups.com, Russ <B1200@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Convert the garage? 900 sq feet is huge! My future L-shaped 448 sq foot house (on two levels mind you) even seems big to me after living in 140 sq feet for three years now. God luck.
              > >

              > > Nemo vir est qui mundum non reddat meliorem

            • robc
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 4, 2012
                Or this plan. An adorable 1000+ sqft cottage with no garage,right up your alley if you want to purchase a ready made design.
                http://www.houseplans.com/1073-square-feet-2-bedrooms-2-bathroom-traditional-house-plans-0-garage-31510