Are there any city dwellers in this group?

  • Martha Olson
    Message 1 of 27 , Mar 10, 2012
      Joe, there are very few homes under 650 sf in Knoxville and the ones that are are older and/or "homemade".* So a new small home built to modern specs might appeal to someone. The payments would be much cheaper than renting.

      I am a landlord by trade so if it doesn't sell I would just keep it as a rental. No biggie except it might limit the number I could eventually build.

      * well there is a section of town with 25' lots and a lot of tiny houses recently built as rentals but they are Ugleeee. No competition there I would hope.

      Martha

      PeoplePC Online
      A better way to Internet
      http://www.peoplepc.com
    • joe3
      Message 2 of 27 , Mar 11, 2012
        Martha, I say go for it ! I've always been the person to buck the trends, and do what I think is best. You've got the experience. My first build was a 800 ft2 single bedroom with no basement in Wisconsin, I couldn't tell you how many people told me I'd never be able to sell it, and they all were wrong, I had no difficulty selling it. With the 3/2 I had built here in Florida I had more difficulty selling, and that was in the pre-crash market? 650 ft2 and one or two bedrooms? I'd love to see a floor plan if you have one. I wish they had25 foot lots here, seems that would make for a nice Katrina Cottage type of community.
        S - yesterday I helped a friend move to Countryside, I'm happy to live in St. Pete * big smile * I can't imagine the congestion during rush hour.

        Joe3

        --- In smallhousesocietyonline@yahoogroups.com, Martha Olson <mbo1955@...> wrote:

        > Joe, there are very few homes under 650 sf in Knoxville and the ones that are are older and/or "homemade".* So a new small home built to modern specs might appeal to someone. The payments would be much cheaper than renting.
        >
        > I am a landlord by trade so if it doesn't sell I would just keep it as a rental. No biggie except it might limit the number I could eventually build.
        >
        > * well there is a section of town with 25' lots and a lot of tiny houses recently built as rentals but they are Ugleeee. No competition there I would hope.
        >
        > Martha

        > PeoplePC Online
        > A better way to Internet
        > http://www.peoplepc.com

      • S
        Message 3 of 27 , Mar 12, 2012
          Joe-
          Yesterday I ran errands 580/Countryside area. Coming home on 580 (Main St), I thought to myself " I don't ever want to see 6 lanes of parking-lot traffic just to get to a grocery store ever again in my life".
          Imagine 'rush hour', tourist season, snowbird season, baseball spring training season, spring break season, nicely capped off w/ a downtown Main St village who tries to suck every dollar they can out of all of the above by having some kind of HUGE event/festival every 2nd or 3rd weekend. ALL at the SAME time. We are expecting 10's of THOUSANDS this Sat for a 12hr St Pat's booze festival, just survived my 8th Mardi Gras (30,000) 2 weeks ago. All in my back yard LITERALLY.
          My Enchanted Cottage lost it's enchantment. This has to be my last winter here. Exchanging thoughts, ideas, & info w/ you guys has really helped me 'get off the fence'. Was actually walking out the door to go talk to a realtor when I got this post.
          THANKS .
          ~Sandy

          --- In smallhousesocietyonline@yahoogroups.com, "joe3" <jsrnfl@...> wrote:

          > S - yesterday I helped a friend move to Countryside, I'm happy to live in St. Pete * big smile * I can't imagine the congestion during rush hour.
          >
          > Joe3
        • Martha Olson
          Message 4 of 27 , Mar 13, 2012
            Joe, the units I am focusing on are one BR units, with half of the attic space for storage. The sizes are 16 x 34 and 22 x 28. I plan to set up a website after I get them built. Try to sell plans like everyone else. Are there any underemployed web designers among this group?

            Martha

            PeoplePC Online
            A better way to Internet
            http://www.peoplepc.com
          • Lynx
            Message 5 of 27 , Mar 13, 2012
              Got to watch those tourist areas in FL. All else can be calm around but in those areas, DUCK!.

              It really depends on the area what is tourist. I just try to avoid if possible.

              I am in St Pete area now. Less pollution and less traffic. Maybe some work but not much pay. Have to do for now until the next escape.

              James AKA Lynx

              --- In smallhousesocietyonline@yahoogroups.com, "S" <Goddessouth@...> wrote:

              > Joe-
              > Yesterday I ran errands 580/Countryside area. Coming home on 580 (Main St), I thought to myself " I don't ever want to see 6 lanes of parking-lot traffic just to get to a grocery store ever again in my life".
              > Imagine 'rush hour', tourist season, snowbird season, baseball spring training season, spring break season, nicely capped off w/ a downtown Main St village who tries to suck every dollar they can out of all of the above by having some kind of HUGE event/festival every 2nd or 3rd weekend. ALL at the SAME time. We are expecting 10's of THOUSANDS this Sat for a 12hr St Pat's booze festival, just survived my 8th Mardi Gras (30,000) 2 weeks ago. All in my back yard LITERALLY.
              > My Enchanted Cottage lost it's enchantment. This has to be my last winter here. Exchanging thoughts, ideas, & info w/ you guys has really helped me 'get off the fence'. Was actually walking out the door to go talk to a realtor when I got this post.
              > THANKS .
              > ~Sandy
              >
              > --- In smallhousesocietyonline@yahoogroups.com, "joe3" <jsrnfl@> wrote:
              >
              > > S - yesterday I helped a friend move to Countryside, I'm happy to live in St. Pete * big smile * I can't imagine the congestion during rush hour.
              > >
              > > Joe3

            • boulderwhitewater
              Message 6 of 27 , Mar 28, 2012
                Go for it. As you said, worst case is you can rent them!
                These forums might be dominated by "homesteaders" and "back to the country" crowd, but all demographic data points to more single person households. The majority of the population lives in cities. With the downturn in housing, many people are over the whole big mortgage, big house, big yard, in the middle of suburbia.