city living

  • books72001
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 4, 2012
      Forgot to mention re: city living.

      I work at home so do not have to travel far for work.
      The area that we live in has a community park on the water
      (everyone lives on the water in this area), with a boat ramp
      and anyone that wants (and can get the gov't permits) can
      build their own dock. We wouldn't be able to have this
      in the city or if we did the RE taxes would be out of this
      world. We pay no taxes on the park or docks.

      For the price one can't go wrong.
      Lois
    • joe3
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 5, 2012
        Hi Lois,

        I do take advantage of the homesteading exemption, assessed valus is 73K, I'm taxed on 25K, millage is 21.9906. 2011 taxes were $747.
        Considering I can live within a few hours of here, Punta Gorda is well within my commuting range - even if fuel goes to 10$ a gallon.
        Are their homes for sale in your neighborhood? You can send me an off group email if needed.
        I could live on an acre and ideally share it if they would allow a 'utility' building built so I could store my RV on one side and have a workshop/bathroom/small living area on the other. I've self vowed to take a week a month traveling this year, spreading out from home starting with closer distances and radiating outward. Building - Pinellas county won't allow it, or getting what I want here is too costly when the Florida codes are considered. Estimates for having it built are way over 125$ a ft2 for a basic no frills building shell !!
        Where you are sounds like a perfect place. I don't know how bicycle friendly your roads are, but 6 miles isn't even a warm up ride.

        Joe3