Re: [shs-talk] front load washers

  • BethCA Sierras
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 3, 2012
      Since folks here are on wells, front loading machines save on water, and are the norm. Although a few have invested in old fashioned wringer washing machines which also save on water. And since we are on a grey water set up we can use environmentally wonderful soap, which is safe on the garden areas.  Grew up in a home where we had a front loader washing machine (50's-60's) and that machine did an excellent job. Got hooked on the front loaders back then.

      ~:Beth:~
      *Love the California Sierra snow on my nose*

    • Sherman Johnson
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 3, 2012

        I'm just a young punk -- born in 1961.  ;-)

        I stand corrected.  I don't recall them being very common from the 60s through at least the 80s, but maybe they just happened to be less popular in certain regions of the country, or maybe I just wasn't paying attention.  ;-)

        There does seem to have been a surge in popularity recently.  There weren't nearly as many front-loaders in appliance stores say 15 years ago.

        Something else I just remembered.  I don't have the time or inclination to go back and look at my back issues of Consumer Reports (CR), but until fairly recently when CR tested washers almost all of them were top-loaders.  The front-loaders were sort of a novelty -- maybe ~10% of the machines tested.  I used to wonder why more mfrs didn't make them because they had/have so many advantages over top-loaders, but it was that way for a long time.

        In any case, the main thing I was writing about was the shelf/counter above the washer/dryer.  I think it is a good (and convenient) space-saving idea that is only possible with front-load washers that have the controls and everything else on the front.  Something to keep in mind when buying a washing machine.

        I get the impression these IKEA homes are turn-key, all appliances and fixtures included, is that right?

        Sherman

        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 4, 2012
          Forgot to mention re: city living.

          I work at home so do not have to travel far for work.
          The area that we live in has a community park on the water
          (everyone lives on the water in this area), with a boat ramp
          and anyone that wants (and can get the gov't permits) can
          build their own dock. We wouldn't be able to have this
          in the city or if we did the RE taxes would be out of this
          world. We pay no taxes on the park or docks.

          For the price one can't go wrong.
          Lois
        • joe3
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 5, 2012
            Hi Lois,

            I do take advantage of the homesteading exemption, assessed valus is 73K, I'm taxed on 25K, millage is 21.9906. 2011 taxes were $747.
            Considering I can live within a few hours of here, Punta Gorda is well within my commuting range - even if fuel goes to 10$ a gallon.
            Are their homes for sale in your neighborhood? You can send me an off group email if needed.
            I could live on an acre and ideally share it if they would allow a 'utility' building built so I could store my RV on one side and have a workshop/bathroom/small living area on the other. I've self vowed to take a week a month traveling this year, spreading out from home starting with closer distances and radiating outward. Building - Pinellas county won't allow it, or getting what I want here is too costly when the Florida codes are considered. Estimates for having it built are way over 125$ a ft2 for a basic no frills building shell !!
            Where you are sounds like a perfect place. I don't know how bicycle friendly your roads are, but 6 miles isn't even a warm up ride.

            Joe3