Re: Are there any city dwellers in this group?

  • joe3
    Message 1 of 27 , Mar 1, 2012
      I'll express my feeling here as others have...

      > Does being 2 blocks from a great food co-op make up for half your >neighbors being a well-run drug rehab housing group?

      I work with substance abuse and indigent patients/clients - so my opinion is very biased - I could live near any well run drug rehab without issue, there's good and bad everywhere.

      > Does having and active neighborhood group of interesting >progressive neighbors compensate for a greater risk of crime?

      No, I wouldn't knowingly more into an area of high crime nor would I move into an area that was " formerly a downtrodden area that is coming back/being restored/rehabbed " I don't mind having progressive neighbors, but I've lived in 'gated communities' and 'home owners assns' I would never live under those conditions again.

      > Does having a babbling brook and natural area make up for an >industrial use nearby?

      That's a tough one without more information

      > Or in S's case: does being near work, shops, community gardens
      >(and ZOMG the beach!) make up for high taxes, flourided water and >traffic noise?

      I wish S had mentioned her city, I'm in St. Petersburg, this is a 'small city' 100K or so, but it's just another city connected to many others here in this peninsula called Pinellas County with 24 incorporated municipalities. Population about one million according to a 2010 quickfact sheet.
      I'm comfortable here, I'm 2 miles from work, stores, and downtown. Taxes aren't bad, I pay less than 1K for property - 500ft2 house, lot size 50 x 125. I don't drink the flouridated water, purchasing a gallon for .39 at the health food store 1/2 mile away. Traffic noise here is minimal, I'm at the South East part of the county, the Northern area is much more populated and way more traffic. It's a mile to the area bike path, I can ride downtown where I have access to great restaurants, the Rays baseball, museums, stores/shops, and the bike trail is 40 or so miles long going from this end of the county to the Northern end.
      The Gulf is a 30 minute drive, again, this end of the county isn't as crowded, and the beach bars, restaurants are good.

      > Since I'm not paying top dollar, all the sites under consideration >involve compromise. It may be the mindset of this group to not make >compromises - and living on wheels may be the way to avoid those >compromises. Especially when someone else is doing the heavy >lifting regarding road maintenance, taxes, etc.

      In my mindset the city living is a compromise I'll gladly make. I previously lived in the country here on 4 acres,it was OK, I enjoyed the quiet but the tradeoff was traveling for what I needed, town was 8 miles away, and not bicycleable. Florida has a poor secndary road system.
      I only work two days a week and feel I could live within 3 hours of here and commute, staying in town overnight rather than driving home. So it could be a trip in on Sat afternoon, overnight, and home Monday morning. Within an hour I could be in a desolate Florida area, as most of the population is along both coasts here. The interior is pretty much open, the exception is Orlando - a playground of its own making !
      I still choose to live here, for me the convenience is well worth the negatives. Everybodys got their opinions/feelings, I've shared some of mine and my reasons. I hope this is helpful.

      Joe3

      --- In smallhousesocietyonline@yahoogroups.com, Martha Olson <mbo1955@...> wrote:

      > Thanks for your offer Joe. I was thinking of writing some detailed descriptions if I got more response. But I'm getting the message this is not a city centered group.
      >
      > Most of my questions involved trade-offs such as:
      >
      > Does being 2 blocks from a great food co-op make up for half your neighbors being a well-run drug rehab housing group?
      >
      > Does having and active neighborhood group of interesting progressive neighbors compensate for a greater risk of crime?
      >
      > Does having a babbling brook and natural area make up for an industrial use nearby?
      >
      > Or in S's case: does being near work, shops, community gardens (and ZOMG the beach!) make up for high taxes, flourided water and traffic noise?
      >

      > Since I'm not paying top dollar, all the sites under consideration involve compromise. It may be the mindset of this group to not make compromises - and living on wheels may be the way to avoid those compromises. Especially when someone else is doing the heavy lifting regarding road maintenance, taxes, etc.
      >

      > Martha
    • S
      Message 2 of 27 , Mar 3, 2012
        Hi Joe3,
        I'm in DUNEDIN, Pinellas Co.! Didn't elaborate due to this being such a geographically broad group. Thanks for sharing. I shaved the thread a little.

        Yesterday was a prime example of the polarized issue here. I ran a few simple errands within 2 miles of my beautiful downtown Dunedin village home 2 blocks from the Gulf. Came home riddled w/ anxiety, couldn't stop cussing for an hour. Countless traffic jams & chaos, 20 cars at gas station pumps, horns honking, life-in-your-own hands. Can't count how many traffic lights I sat through. This is High "Season" coastal paradise LOL. I change my mind back & forth daily about staying for the extreme advantages VS. as you mentioned, moving inland ... ahhh, the PEACE, privacy, well-water! Personally, I just have no middle ground, what I love here, I love a LOT, what I can't stand about life here is equally intense. I've pretty much decided to give it a (another) year because I'm too lazy and confused to take action, grow my garden, add as much privacy features as I can afford. My Prop Tx have ranged from $2500 to now $1800 depending on mkt assessment. for close to same sq ft, same lot you have in St Pete. I pay $1200 more than friends who live 2 miles from me. That's another point for those reading this to consider... Joe & I are in the same COUNTY.

        --- In smallhousesocietyonline@yahoogroups.com, "joe3" <jsrnfl@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > I only work two days a week and feel I could live within 3 hours of here and commute, staying in town overnight rather than driving home. So it could be a trip in on Sat afternoon, overnight, and home Monday morning. Within an hour I could be in a desolate Florida area, as most of the population is along both coasts here. The interior is pretty much open, the exception is Orlando - a playground of its own making !
        > I still choose to live here, for me the convenience is well worth the negatives. Everybodys got their opinions/feelings, I've shared some of mine and my reasons. I hope this is helpful.

      • joe3
        Message 3 of 27 , Mar 4, 2012
          You live in a great part of Pinellas, you're close to the beach, bike trail (riding to Tarpon and beyond)and many fine restaurants. It's much quieter in this city, less visitors for sure, and we certainly don't have the traffic congestion common in the North county. All things to be considered when living in a city. I understand the thought vascilation - I have my own with the St. Pete building codes ! When I chose to move here 3+ years ago I wanted Crystal Beach or Ozona, but couldn't find what I wanted, both are small-what I consider an 'area' rather than town or city, but didn't want to spend all my monies on a mortgage. I love this line:
          I change my mind back & forth daily about staying for the extreme advantages VS. as you mentioned, moving inland ... ahhh, the PEACE, privacy, well-water.
          Woldn't it be nice to have 5 acres in the city? It would afford some quiet, peacefulness, and allow for gardens & a vast assortment of fruit trees. Well water is its own treasure! Even living in the city there are places of solitude: Weedon Island, Pass-A-Grille, and numerous parks to disappear into for a day - let the traffic and congestion for our 'visitors'.
          I don't remember if Martha said what city she was considering living in, but as people can see from here, it's important where in the city you choose to live.

          Joe3

          --- In smallhousesocietyonline@yahoogroups.com, "S" <Goddessouth@...> wrote:

          > Hi Joe3,
          > I'm in DUNEDIN, Pinellas Co.! Didn't elaborate due to this being such a geographically broad group. Thanks for sharing. I shaved the thread a little.
          >
          > Yesterday was a prime example of the polarized issue here. I ran a few simple errands within 2 miles of my beautiful downtown Dunedin village home 2 blocks from the Gulf. Came home riddled w/ anxiety, couldn't stop cussing for an hour. Countless traffic jams & chaos, 20 cars at gas station pumps, horns honking, life-in-your-own hands. Can't count how many traffic lights I sat through. This is High "Season" coastal paradise LOL. I change my mind back & forth daily about staying for the extreme advantages VS. as you mentioned, moving inland ... ahhh, the PEACE, privacy, well-water! Personally, I just have no middle ground, what I love here, I love a LOT, what I can't stand about life here is equally intense. I've pretty much decided to give it a (another) year because I'm too lazy and confused to take action, grow my garden, add as much privacy features as I can afford. My Prop Tx have ranged from $2500 to now $1800 depending on mkt assessment. for close to same sq ft, same lot you have in St Pete. I pay $1200 more than friends who live 2 miles from me. That's another point for those reading this to consider... Joe & I are in the same COUNTY.
        • Martha Olson
          Message 4 of 27 , Mar 5, 2012
            Joe, I am in Knoxville TN. It is a generic enough little city that I figured the issues here were ones other city dwellers might have contemplated.

            How cool that 3 of you all are practically neighbors. Florida is a great place for little houses. I lovelovelove Pas-a-grille beach and the tiny houses there. I was afraid they'd have been bulldozed during the housing bubble.

            Martha

            PeoplePC Online
            A better way to Internet
            http://www.peoplepc.com
          • Denise
            Message 5 of 27 , Mar 6, 2012
              yes, i am. i'm in portland, maine, and i struggle with many of the same issues being discussed in this thread. coincidentally, i have been thinking of moving to florida so it's quite fortuitous many of you are talking about it. thank you!

              this is off topic i know, but i wonder if i can ask about colleges in florida. i'm interested in moving to florida to study art / photography and wondering what if any good programs are there. there "must" be some good ones with so many artists living there. can anyone comment?

              denise

              --- On Mon, 3/5/12, Martha Olson <mbo1955@...> wrote:
              Joe,  I am in Knoxville TN.  It is a generic enough little city that I figured the issues here were ones other city dwellers might have contemplated.

              How cool that 3 of you all are practically neighbors. Florida is a great place for little houses.  I lovelovelove Pas-a-grille beach and the tiny houses there.  I was afraid they'd have been bulldozed during the housing bubble.

              Martha

              <*> Your email settings:
                  Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
                  (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:
                  smallhousesocietyonline-digest@yahoogroups.com
                  smallhousesocietyonline-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • S
              Message 6 of 27 , Mar 7, 2012
                The 'End-All-Be-All' Art School in Fla is Ringling in Sarasota.
                http://www.ringling.edu/about/
                http://www.ringling.edu/index.php?id=25
                You JUST missed their National Portfolio Day which includes many other art schools/programs being represented all on their campus for the day, Open House & scholarship app deadlines. And their application deadline was March 1. My son ended up in school in NYC (Cooper Union). I recall the private schools had much earlier deadlines for FAFSA app, Student app, etc. It is a beautiful place w/ an amazing reputation, you should look into it for next year.
                Other members may have better info on the State College programs here but we just suffered HUGE state funding cuts to these schools.
                Don't let private school tuitions scare you away, we had access to better financial aid/scholarship programs w/ the private schools in many cases!

                --- In smallhousesocietyonline@yahoogroups.com, Denise <shygirl_1963@...> wrote:

                > yes, i am. i'm in portland, maine, and i struggle with many of the same issues being discussed in this thread. coincidentally, i have been thinking of moving to florida so it's quite fortuitous many of you are talking about it. thank you!
                >
                > this is off topic i know, but i wonder if i can ask about colleges in florida. i'm interested in moving to florida to study art / photography and wondering what if any good programs are there. there "must" be some good ones with so many artists living there. can anyone comment?
                >
                > denise
              • joe3
                Message 7 of 27 , Mar 7, 2012
                  Knoxville is new to me, I've never been there. Closest I've been is the Great Smoky Mountains National Park which I find absolutely intriguing. I'm not into the tourist thing, I prefer hiking and biking, spending time in the nooks and crannys of nature. I love to find hidden waterfalls and great nature scenes. If Knoxville has the same climate and topography, it would seem to be a good place to live.
                  Have you decided where your going to live?

                  Joe3

                  Yes, it is interesting all 3 of us live close, and all live in very different 'cultures' (for lack of a better word) Pass-A-grille is still an isolated little place because of its location, I've only been here for 3+ years so I don't know its history, but there are still lots of small cottage like homes there.

                  --- In smallhousesocietyonline@yahoogroups.com, Martha Olson <mbo1955@...> wrote:

                  > Joe, I am in Knoxville TN. It is a generic enough little city that I figured the issues here were ones other city dwellers might have contemplated.
                  >
                  > How cool that 3 of you all are practically neighbors. Florida is a great place for little houses. I lovelovelove Pas-a-grille beach and the tiny houses there. I was afraid they'd have been bulldozed during the housing bubble.
                  >
                  > Martha

                  > PeoplePC Online
                  > A better way to Internet
                  > http://www.peoplepc.com

                • Denise
                  Message 8 of 27 , Mar 8, 2012
                    thank you. i did look into ringling a little bit before i posted, also new college, and eckerd. i remember i liked what i read about the photography profs at ringling but didn't like that it's located in a bad part of town (that's what i read, but i've never been). i guess it's not known for it's photography program either, only computer animation. but i may do a little more checking....

                    anyway, thank you. appreciate the information.

                    denise

                    Message 9 of 27 , Mar 8, 2012
                      Joe, I've been in Knoxville almost all my adult life and have a cute little (but not tiny) home already. I am looking to build houses on spec so that's why I'm trying to figure out what buyers might want in a location.

                      I still haven't made up my mind but I already own the two lots by the creek near the industrial area so they have that going for them. I'm still looking around for other options and hope to start building next fall.

                      Knoxville has nice hills and some wilderness areas in the middle of town but it is nothing like the Smokies. Fortunately the Smokies are an easy day trip and I try to go every week or two. The Townsend entrance is relatively untouristed.

                      Mark Morrison has written great waterfall guide for the Southeastern Smokies.

                      Martha

                      PeoplePC Online
                      A better way to Internet
                      http://www.peoplepc.com
                    • joe3
                      Message 10 of 27 , Mar 9, 2012
                        Building a house on spec is always an interesting idea to me. When I was younger I built my own home, hired out some subs - foundation, roof, drywall - it was a good experience. I also worked with a union carpenter that taught me a lot and I'm ever grateful for that experience.
                        I wonder with the current housing market if you could compete with the homes available? Here in Florida I don't think it'd be possible, but I'm going to poll a few contracter friends out of curiosity. Knoxville may not be like our market, here there sems to be an unlimited 'short sale' market.
                        Here's what I wish someone would build on spec, I'd snap it up in a heartbeat:
                        http://www.archwaypress.com/catalog/?target=product&product_id=2068

                        It would give me a small living area and room for my kayaks, bicycles, and a workshop area for projects. It's my dream !

                        I'll look at the Townsend entrance to the park, and see if I can find Morrisons guide, thanks for the tips.

                        Joe3

                        --- In smallhousesocietyonline@yahoogroups.com, Martha Olson <mbo1955@...> wrote:

                        > Joe, I've been in Knoxville almost all my adult life and have a cute little (but not tiny) home already. I am looking to build houses on spec so that's why I'm trying to figure out what buyers might want in a location.
                        >
                        > I still haven't made up my mind but I already own the two lots by the creek near the industrial area so they have that going for them. I'm still looking around for other options and hope to start building next fall.
                        >
                        > Knoxville has nice hills and some wilderness areas in the middle of town but it is nothing like the Smokies. Fortunately the Smokies are an easy day trip and I try to go every week or two. The Townsend entrance is relatively untouristed.
                        >
                        > Mark Morrison has written great waterfall guide for the Southeastern Smokies.
                        >
                        > Martha
                      • robc
                        Message 11 of 27 , Mar 9, 2012
                          I wish I had taken a few pictures of nearly the same plan but in real life. I went to a Chili cook-off competition that our Northwest MG British car club holds annually and the host of the event had 2 small homes on the estate grounds. One was a single level and the other was a 2 car garage with the cottage above.Just like the plan you linked!
                          Robert

                          --- In smallhousesocietyonline@yahoogroups.com, "joe3" <jsrnfl@...> wrote:

                          > Building a house on spec is always an interesting idea to me. When I was younger I built my own home, hired out some subs - foundation, roof, drywall - it was a good experience. I also worked with a union carpenter that taught me a lot and I'm ever grateful for that experience.
                          > I wonder with the current housing market if you could compete with the homes available? Here in Florida I don't think it'd be possible, but I'm going to poll a few contracter friends out of curiosity. Knoxville may not be like our market, here there sems to be an unlimited 'short sale' market.
                          > Here's what I wish someone would build on spec, I'd snap it up in a heartbeat:
                          > http://www.archwaypress.com/catalog/?target=product&product_id=2068
                          >
                          > It would give me a small living area and room for my kayaks, bicycles, and a workshop area for projects. It's my dream !
                          >
                          > I'll look at the Townsend entrance to the park, and see if I can find Morrisons guide, thanks for the tips.
                          >
                          > Joe3
                          >
                          > --- In smallhousesocietyonline@yahoogroups.com, Martha Olson <mbo1955@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Joe, I've been in Knoxville almost all my adult life and have a cute little (but not tiny) home already. I am looking to build houses on spec so that's why I'm trying to figure out what buyers might want in a location.
                          > >
                          > > I still haven't made up my mind but I already own the two lots by the creek near the industrial area so they have that going for them. I'm still looking around for other options and hope to start building next fall.
                          > >
                          > > Knoxville has nice hills and some wilderness areas in the middle of town but it is nothing like the Smokies. Fortunately the Smokies are an easy day trip and I try to go every week or two. The Townsend entrance is relatively untouristed.
                          > >
                          > > Mark Morrison has written great waterfall guide for the Southeastern Smokies.
                          > >
                          > > Martha

                        • Martha Olson
                          Message 12 of 27 , Mar 10, 2012
                            Joe, there are very few homes under 650 sf in Knoxville and the ones that are are older and/or "homemade".* So a new small home built to modern specs might appeal to someone. The payments would be much cheaper than renting.

                            I am a landlord by trade so if it doesn't sell I would just keep it as a rental. No biggie except it might limit the number I could eventually build.

                            * well there is a section of town with 25' lots and a lot of tiny houses recently built as rentals but they are Ugleeee. No competition there I would hope.

                            Martha

                            PeoplePC Online
                            A better way to Internet
                            http://www.peoplepc.com
                          • joe3
                            Message 13 of 27 , Mar 11, 2012
                              Martha, I say go for it ! I've always been the person to buck the trends, and do what I think is best. You've got the experience. My first build was a 800 ft2 single bedroom with no basement in Wisconsin, I couldn't tell you how many people told me I'd never be able to sell it, and they all were wrong, I had no difficulty selling it. With the 3/2 I had built here in Florida I had more difficulty selling, and that was in the pre-crash market? 650 ft2 and one or two bedrooms? I'd love to see a floor plan if you have one. I wish they had25 foot lots here, seems that would make for a nice Katrina Cottage type of community.
                              S - yesterday I helped a friend move to Countryside, I'm happy to live in St. Pete * big smile * I can't imagine the congestion during rush hour.

                              Joe3

                              --- In smallhousesocietyonline@yahoogroups.com, Martha Olson <mbo1955@...> wrote:

                              > Joe, there are very few homes under 650 sf in Knoxville and the ones that are are older and/or "homemade".* So a new small home built to modern specs might appeal to someone. The payments would be much cheaper than renting.
                              >
                              > I am a landlord by trade so if it doesn't sell I would just keep it as a rental. No biggie except it might limit the number I could eventually build.
                              >
                              > * well there is a section of town with 25' lots and a lot of tiny houses recently built as rentals but they are Ugleeee. No competition there I would hope.
                              >
                              > Martha

                              > PeoplePC Online
                              > A better way to Internet
                              > http://www.peoplepc.com

                            • S
                              Message 14 of 27 , Mar 12, 2012
                                Joe-
                                Yesterday I ran errands 580/Countryside area. Coming home on 580 (Main St), I thought to myself " I don't ever want to see 6 lanes of parking-lot traffic just to get to a grocery store ever again in my life".
                                Imagine 'rush hour', tourist season, snowbird season, baseball spring training season, spring break season, nicely capped off w/ a downtown Main St village who tries to suck every dollar they can out of all of the above by having some kind of HUGE event/festival every 2nd or 3rd weekend. ALL at the SAME time. We are expecting 10's of THOUSANDS this Sat for a 12hr St Pat's booze festival, just survived my 8th Mardi Gras (30,000) 2 weeks ago. All in my back yard LITERALLY.
                                My Enchanted Cottage lost it's enchantment. This has to be my last winter here. Exchanging thoughts, ideas, & info w/ you guys has really helped me 'get off the fence'. Was actually walking out the door to go talk to a realtor when I got this post.
                                THANKS .
                                ~Sandy

                                --- In smallhousesocietyonline@yahoogroups.com, "joe3" <jsrnfl@...> wrote:

                                > S - yesterday I helped a friend move to Countryside, I'm happy to live in St. Pete * big smile * I can't imagine the congestion during rush hour.
                                >
                                > Joe3
                              • Martha Olson
                                Message 15 of 27 , Mar 13, 2012
                                  Joe, the units I am focusing on are one BR units, with half of the attic space for storage. The sizes are 16 x 34 and 22 x 28. I plan to set up a website after I get them built. Try to sell plans like everyone else. Are there any underemployed web designers among this group?

                                  Martha

                                  PeoplePC Online
                                  A better way to Internet
                                  http://www.peoplepc.com
                                • Lynx
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Mar 13, 2012
                                    Got to watch those tourist areas in FL. All else can be calm around but in those areas, DUCK!.

                                    It really depends on the area what is tourist. I just try to avoid if possible.

                                    I am in St Pete area now. Less pollution and less traffic. Maybe some work but not much pay. Have to do for now until the next escape.

                                    James AKA Lynx

                                    --- In smallhousesocietyonline@yahoogroups.com, "S" <Goddessouth@...> wrote:

                                    > Joe-
                                    > Yesterday I ran errands 580/Countryside area. Coming home on 580 (Main St), I thought to myself " I don't ever want to see 6 lanes of parking-lot traffic just to get to a grocery store ever again in my life".
                                    > Imagine 'rush hour', tourist season, snowbird season, baseball spring training season, spring break season, nicely capped off w/ a downtown Main St village who tries to suck every dollar they can out of all of the above by having some kind of HUGE event/festival every 2nd or 3rd weekend. ALL at the SAME time. We are expecting 10's of THOUSANDS this Sat for a 12hr St Pat's booze festival, just survived my 8th Mardi Gras (30,000) 2 weeks ago. All in my back yard LITERALLY.
                                    > My Enchanted Cottage lost it's enchantment. This has to be my last winter here. Exchanging thoughts, ideas, & info w/ you guys has really helped me 'get off the fence'. Was actually walking out the door to go talk to a realtor when I got this post.
                                    > THANKS .
                                    > ~Sandy
                                    >
                                    > --- In smallhousesocietyonline@yahoogroups.com, "joe3" <jsrnfl@> wrote:
                                    >
                                    > > S - yesterday I helped a friend move to Countryside, I'm happy to live in St. Pete * big smile * I can't imagine the congestion during rush hour.
                                    > >
                                    > > Joe3

                                  • boulderwhitewater
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Mar 28, 2012
                                      Go for it. As you said, worst case is you can rent them!
                                      These forums might be dominated by "homesteaders" and "back to the country" crowd, but all demographic data points to more single person households. The majority of the population lives in cities. With the downturn in housing, many people are over the whole big mortgage, big house, big yard, in the middle of suburbia.