13229Re: RE: Re: [shs-talk] Re: ~M AKING Composting toil ets a ren’t ju st for stat e p arks a nd hippies a ny more~

  • Randy Garnett
    Oct 8 2:38 PM
      I am using peat moss at this point. It is only in a cabin I use occasionally and I don't notice any smell.  I am going to eventually use sawdust when I can get a supply of it.

      Randall Garnett

      On Tue, Oct 8, 2013 at 4:27 PM, <dale@...> wrote:

      I have successfully used the duff found under juniper trees for a cover material instead of sawdust because it is pretty fine and readily composts. It often accumulates a few inches thick and is easy to scoop up with a shovel.

      Softwood sawdust may not compost quickly enough, but I've heard that hardwoods are good. I used spruce or pine sawdust for a while, but after a couple of years, the compost looked like sawdust still.

      Once you fill a bucket, just put a lid on it and insert a fresh bucket. Once you have 5 or 10 saved up, you can dump them and rinse them over the pile and start over. The full buckets don't get gross when sitting with lids on them, and you only have to deal with them every few months.

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic