13223RE: Re: [shs-talk] Re: ~MA KING Composting toilets a ren ’t just for stat e p arks and hippies a nymore~

  • robcrissinger
    Oct 8, 2013

       Moist sawdust not dry bagged stuff you purchase. Free at mills,some home improvement stores etc.not from treated lumber.

      Any organic moist item. Moist leaves,grass clippings,moist fresh sawdust,peat, strips of shredded newspaper can be tossed in crumpled up to add some absorbency of liquids.

      Robert

      TheTinyBungalow

      ---In smallhousesocietyonline@yahoogroups.com, <smallhousesocietyonline@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Sawdust???  Hmmmm,never thought to use that.....I use organic compost from Ace....I was going to use cedar chips when I first started with it, but someone said the cedar kills the bacteria for composting, so do you have to be careful what kind of sawdust you use?

      Angela

      On Sunday, October 6, 2013, wrote:

      Kitty litter won't compost,don't use it in a humanure toilet.

      150F is near ideal for your compost pile.

      fresh sawdust with dry leaves in your composting toilet work great.

      Robert

      The Tiny Bungalow

      ---In smallhousesocietyonline@yahoogroups.com, <smallhousesocietyonline@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Remember in the processing of humanure,  High temps for composting 125-160 Degrees F need to be reached to kill harmful pathogens.    Some folks have used peat moss as a absorbent.  It works great as an absorbent BUT it does NOT compost.  Peat is already Composted as far as it can go.    Fall season and leaves plus other compostables (news prints etc) work well in the 5 gallon bucket methods.

      Active heat in the pile will finish the cycle.
      Jack