13219Re: [shs-talk] Re: ~MAKING Composting toilets a ren ’t just for stat e parks and hippies a nymore~

  • Lori Maki
    Oct 6, 2013
      Neat , thank you.  We are thinking if building and living in a tiny home. This would be great

      LoriRutj

      On Sunday, October 6, 2013, wrote:

      Look up online or search for the Humanure Handbook by Joseph Jenkins.
      In that book he refers to a simple homemade toilet that costs no more than finding a 5 gal bucket (like from Home Depot) and a supply of sawdust. Some people use a fine dry mulch or even cat litter.
      This toilet is called a sawdust toilet or Loveable Loo. Many build a simple wood box around the bucket with a standard toilet seat. Some of these boxes can be rather elaborate, limited only by the person's imagination. I've even seen one that was built up on a platform with fancy tile work around it. The idea is to start with a few inches of sawdust in the bottom. After you make your deposit cover it completely with more sawdust. That's what eliminates the odor. When the bucket is full dump it in the compost pile you have started out back. That part is what stops some people from using this kind of toilet in the first place. Where they live doesn't allow compost piles in the yards, especially if they may possibly contain the contents of the Loveable Loo. When done right it is very sanitary, has no odor, definitely does not polute the water systems conserves clean drinking water for drinking as it should be. The result of the compost (again, when done right) results in the most perfect soil for augmenting gardens and landscaping. Joseph Jenkins even has his tested to verify that he can even use the humus for veggie gardens.

      ---In smallhousesocietyonline@yahoogroups.com, <lorimaki3213@...> wrote:

      Ok I missed something, how did you male the toilet ?

      On Sunday, October 6, 2013, aeblequilter wrote:

      I feel like I'm converting a few people at a time. When we have guests at our property, the first thing I do is teach them how to use the toilet and every time I get comments about how they don't smell anything at all with surprised faces. They are even more shocked when they realize I spent a whole $20 making the toilet.

      --
      Sent from my iPhone

      --
      Sent from my iPhone