Think of Me First as a Person named to National Film Registry

  • Dwight Swanson
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 27, 2006
      The 2006 National Film Registry was announced today and it includes
      "Think of Me First as a Person," a fantastic amateur film that was
      first shown publicly at New Orleans Home Movie Day last summer.

      As Home Movie Day 2006 was approaching, we were contacted by George
      Ingmire, a New Orleans filmmaker, who was preparing to transfer some
      of his grandfather's home movies. George had acquired his
      grandfather's films, and was particularly interested in one 16mm reel
      that appeared to be one of the only edited reels in the collection.
      It was a compilation of home movie footage of his son, Dwight Core,
      Jr., from 1960 to 1975. Dwight, Jr. has Down Syndrome (he is now 46
      and living in Norfolk, Virginia) and the film is a beautiful and
      powerful look at raising a disabled child in the 1960s, and
      particularly the pain in sending him off to a residential school in
      Lynchburg.

      George sent the reel to Home Movie Depot for a new video transfer, and
      then combined the film with an audio soundtrack that he had found on a
      separate VHS tape. The Home Movie Day screening was the first public
      screening of the restored version of the film, and as far as we can
      tell the first time the original film had ever been shown publicly.
      The second screening was a the Association of Moving Image Archivists'
      conference in November. Last week George visited Virginia and
      screened the DVD for his family, including Dwight, Jr.

      George Ingmire is currently working on a website for the film and is
      preparing to make it available for festival screenings and The Center
      for Home Movies is in discussion with him to get the original film
      preserved. George is also in the process of transfering more of his
      grandfather's collection to video for a future documentary film his is
      developing about him.

      Press release about 2006 Registry:
      http://www.loc.gov/today/pr/2006/06-234.html

      Dwight Swanson
    • Lynne Kirste
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 27, 2006
        Great news! I got to see this wonderful film at the Anchorage screening.
        I'm so happy that it will be available to festivals and that
        preservation talks are underway.

        Lynne

        Lynne Kirste
        Special Collections Curator