compile_to_jvm

  • Pascal Poncin
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 1 3:52 AM
      Hi SmallEiffelees!

      Can anybody tell me something more about the jvm-compiler?
      What I'd like to know:
      -Is it possible to use the Java-Standard-Libraries (or any external
      Java-class) without having to write wrapper classes? (I'm fearing the answer
      is no - but I'm still hoping ... since this would be a fine way to meet the
      portability-issue)
      -What happens to external c-calls and Ressources linked (e.g.
      Windows-ressources like Icons and the like) to the application?
      -At the time I'm running SE under Windows-NT. There's no "java"-command
      available as described in the command-reference. So how do I run a
      java-program generated by SE? Do I need to write some HTML-document with
      this <SCRIPT> ... </SCRIPT> thing?
      -Does anyone actually use the jvm-compiler for something? Do you share my
      experiences or did you succed in writing some nice application so that you
      can explain me all this?

      Pascal
    • Geoff Eldridge
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 1 9:32 AM
        Pascal,

        The following recent messages in the SmallEiffel mailing list archive
        might be of some help in relation to your compile_to_jvm questions:

        Sorry I can't be anymore specific than this .. I hope someone more
        qualified than myself might step in ..

        -- Geoff Eldridge
        -- geldridg@...

        On Tue, 1 Jun 1999, Pascal Poncin wrote:

        > Hi SmallEiffelees!
        >
        > Can anybody tell me something more about the jvm-compiler?
        > What I'd like to know:
        > -Is it possible to use the Java-Standard-Libraries (or any external
        > Java-class) without having to write wrapper classes? (I'm fearing the answer
        > is no - but I'm still hoping ... since this would be a fine way to meet the
        > portability-issue)
        > -What happens to external c-calls and Ressources linked (e.g.
        > Windows-ressources like Icons and the like) to the application?
        > -At the time I'm running SE under Windows-NT. There's no "java"-command
        > available as described in the command-reference. So how do I run a
        > java-program generated by SE? Do I need to write some HTML-document with
        > this <SCRIPT> ... </SCRIPT> thing?
        > -Does anyone actually use the jvm-compiler for something? Do you share my
        > experiences or did you succed in writing some nice application so that you
        > can explain me all this?
      • Pascal Poncin
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 2 5:28 AM
          Thanks!

          >The following recent messages in the SmallEiffel mailing list archive
          >might be of some help in relation to your compile_to_jvm questions:

          >Sorry I can't be anymore specific than this .. I hope someone more
          >qualified than myself might step in ..

          Well, You gave me the idea to try the mailing list archive... Imust admit I
          didn't think of it!
          Maybe there's no one using the jvm-option since using (the itself portable)
          SE *instead of Java* is a better choice?! Once You got Your teeth into SE
          You don't want anything else?!

          Pascal
        • Pascal Poncin
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 2 6:30 AM
            Thanks to all of You!

            Now I'm able to get my little test programs generated by compile_to_jvm
            running!
            Whow! They run even faster than finalized with Microsoft's C-Compiler.
            That's astonishing!
            (And in addition compile_to_jvm is also faster than compile_to_c!)

            Now I'd really like to know how some GUI-things could be done with the
            jvm-Option ...

            Patrick:

            >Who knows why the jvm users have been silent.

            Maybe they want to keep it secret to themselves?

            Pascal
          • Alex Maranda
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 2 7:13 AM
              > Whow! They run even faster than finalized with Microsoft's C-Compiler.
              > That's astonishing!
              ...hmm, any hard figures? what JVM? do you JIT/HotSpot/compile to native
              code? ho do you time it?

              Cheers,
              Alex

              Alex Maranda mailto: amaranda at spider dot com
              Spider Software Ltd. Tel: +44 (0)131 4757036
              Edinburgh, UK http://members.xoom.com/Alex_Maranda
              STREAMS based communications protocols for embedded systems
            • Pascal Poncin
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 2 8:21 AM
                -----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----
                Von: Pascal Poncin <Pascal.Poncin@...>
                An: Alex Maranda <amaranda@...>
                Datum: Mittwoch, 2. Juni 1999 17:07
                Betreff: Re: Re: RE: compile_to_jvm

              • hutch@drums-pcn.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 2 10:44 AM
                  Pascal Poncin wrote:

                  > Thanks to all of You!
                  >
                  > Now I'm able to get my little test programs generated by compile_to_jvm
                  > running!
                  > Whow! They run even faster than finalized with Microsoft's C-Compiler.
                  > That's astonishing!
                  > (And in addition compile_to_jvm is also faster than compile_to_c!)

                  For what I'm doing the C version runs a little less than 5 times faster
                  than the jvm version. Don't remember exactly though.

                  compile_to_jvm runs *much* faster than compile_to_c for the same code
                  base. But the jvm exception stack is nowhere near as good as the c stack
                  trace.

                  > Now I'd really like to know how some GUI-things could be done with the
                  > jvm-Option ...

                  One of my archived messages was referenced in Geoff's initial response
                  to you. You will have two problems:

                  - you can only call static java methods from eiffel

                  - there is nothing corresponding to the cecil file for compile_to_jvm.
                  This makes callbacks difficult (they tend to get optimised away).

                  > Patrick:
                  >
                  > >Who knows why the jvm users have been silent.
                  >
                  > Maybe they want to keep it secret to themselves?

                  Naw, I wouldn't do that :-)

                  Personally, I'm being kept very busy by the first three implementations
                  of a product the core of which was written using SE's compile_to_jvm.

                  > Pascal
                • Daniel Solaz
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 3 7:08 AM
                    hutch@... wrote:
                    >One of my archived messages was referenced in Geoff's initial response
                    >to you. You will have two problems:
                    >- you can only call static java methods from eiffel
                    >- there is nothing corresponding to the cecil file for compile_to_jvm.
                    > This makes callbacks difficult (they tend to get optimised away).
                    Both are important issues. I'll add a lighter one:
                    - for every program you compile you get a directory containing basic
                    classes (integer, string...) that would better be in a system-wide jar
                    file somewhere in the CLASSPATH.
                    -Daniel