Re: export question

  • Roger Browne
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 31, 1999
      Loryn Jenkins wrote:

      > Given that the solution to the problem in SmallEiffel is to include ANY
      > in the inheritance clause, AND given that ANY is supposed to be implicit
      > in the inheritance clause, I would say that ISE Eiffel is correct.

      Your second "given" is incorrect. From ETL bottom of p85:

      "The precise rule is the following. Any class which does not
      include an explicitly written Inheritance clause is considered
      to have an implicit clause of the form "inherit ANY"..."

      So, in the following case

      class A
      inherit B
      export {NONE} all
      whatever
      end

      there's no inheritance of ANY except via class B - and therefore
      the SmallEiffel behaviour (re-exporting 'is_standard_equal' to NONE)
      seems to be the correct one.

      Regards,
      Roger
      --
      Roger Browne - roger@... - Everything Eiffel
      6 Bambers Walk Wesham PR4 3DG UK - +44 1772 687525
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 1, 1999
        Loryn Jenkins wrote:

        > Given that the solution to the problem in SmallEiffel is to include ANY
        > in the inheritance clause, AND given that ANY is supposed to be implicit
        > in the inheritance clause, I would say that ISE Eiffel is correct.

        Except, if I remember correctly from OOSC2, I recall that ANY is only
        implicitly present if the class in question has no inheritance clause,
        otherwise, it comes from whatever class(s) were inherited from (I may not
        be remembering correctly however, and I don't know where OOSC2 falls in the
        "officialness" of the Eiffel definition.)