Requesting Help with Binary File routines

  • Kolari Shiva Bhat
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 2, 2000
      I needed to write some data in binary mode. Therefore, I attempted to
      extend some routines to handle binary data. Largely due to my lack of
      knowledge, I am facing several problems. In this regard, I am seeking
      fellow SmallEiffel users advice. I am attaching my very incomplete code
      to this message. (I have written my problems as comments to the
      attached code). Any input will be greately appreciated.

      Regards,

      Kolari
    • Friedrich Dominicus
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 2, 2000
        Kolari Shiva Bhat wrote:

        > I needed to write some data in binary mode. Therefore, I attempted to
        > extend some routines to handle binary data. Largely due to my lack of
        > knowledge, I am facing several problems. In this regard, I am seeking
        > fellow SmallEiffel users advice. I am attaching my very incomplete code
        > to this message. (I have written my problems as comments to the
        > attached code). Any input will be greately appreciated.

        Please contact Geoff Eldrige (see this mailing list. He have done some
        work on this and I guess this is what might be ready yet.

        Regards
        Friedrich
      • Geoff Eldridge
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 3, 2000
          On Mon, 3 Jan 2000, Friedrich Dominicus wrote:

          > Kolari Shiva Bhat wrote:
          > >
          > > I needed to write some data in binary mode. Therefore, I attempted to
          > > extend some routines to handle binary data. Largely due to my lack of
          > > knowledge, I am facing several problems. In this regard, I am seeking
          > > fellow SmallEiffel users advice. I am attaching my very incomplete code
          > > to this message. (I have written my problems as comments to the
          > > attached code). Any input will be greately appreciated.
          >
          > Please contact Geoff Eldrige (see this mailing list. He have done some
          > work on this and I guess this is what might be ready yet.

          I've been working (with some success) on porting the ISE EiffelBase FILE,
          RAW_FILE, PLAIN_TEXT_FILE and UNIX_FILE_INFO classes to SmallEiffel using
          elj-win32 (ie lcc-win32 as the backend C compiler). My most recent version
          is here:

          http://www.elj.com/dev/eiffelbase/file_000103.zip

          -- I still have to implement some functionality. The UNIX_FILE_INFO
          -- class is a little tricky for a win32 person like myself.
          -- It would be great if a Unix person could step in and finish off
          -- the C code here.

          You could have a look at the C code to see how it works. It might help
          with your own class. Alternatively you could just use the above. If you do
          please note that you will have to add a function to the STRING class. See
          the readme.txt file. A couple of messages in the archive might also be of
          help:

          http://www.egroups.com/group/smalleiffel/1251.html
          http://www.egroups.com/group/smalleiffel/1253.html

          Finally, I have another class relating to binary files that be of
          help. See the last part of this message:

          http://www.egroups.com/group/smalleiffel/1223.html

          --8<--
          [..]
          http://www.elj.com/dev/smalleiffel/basic_misc_991217.zip
          [..]
          * BASIC_FILE is a new/experimental library (without compile_to_jvm
          support at present). It is being used to provide binary file support
          for elj-win32. I have provided it to get feedback and to show that
          this library is quite fast and useful. Any suggestions and improvements
          welcome.
          -->8--

          > Regards
          > Friedrich