Re: Nightshade astronomy simulator launched

  • bergieberglund
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 4, 2010
      Hey Greg,

      Sorry for the slow reply. I'm out of town for a conference this week, and checking email has been more difficult than I expected.

      I would recommend posting your question in the Q&A section on the Nightshade site. Just go to the homepage (http://www.nightshadesoftware.org/), then click on the Q&A link along the left side of the page.

      Rob, Digitalis' president, will post a reply to your question there. That way not only you will see the answer, but also others who run into the same difficulties.

      Good luck, and I hope you enjoy it!

      Cheers,
      Karrie

      --- In small_planetarium@yahoogroups.com, "greggyvt1" <greggyvt1@...> wrote:

      > Hi Karrie,
      >
      > Thanks so much for making Nightshade. I downloaded the source code, but I must admit that I have no idea how to install it on a Linux system. I'm not afraid to do things in terminals, I just don't know how.
      >
      > Anyone willing to guide me through installing?
      >
      > Thanks again!

    • jonesalley
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 4, 2010
        Is this going to be an online Digitarium upgrade or more of a manual process like the previous question seemed to indicate?

        --- In small_planetarium@yahoogroups.com, "bergieberglund" <bergieberglund@...> wrote:

        > Hey Greg,
        >
        > Sorry for the slow reply. I'm out of town for a conference this week, and checking email has been more difficult than I expected.
        >
        > I would recommend posting your question in the Q&A section on the Nightshade site. Just go to the homepage (http://www.nightshadesoftware.org/), then click on the Q&A link along the left side of the page.
        >
        > Rob, Digitalis' president, will post a reply to your question there. That way not only you will see the answer, but also others who run into the same difficulties.
        >
        > Good luck, and I hope you enjoy it!
        >
        > Cheers,
        > Karrie
        >
        > --- In small_planetarium@yahoogroups.com, "greggyvt1" <greggyvt1@> wrote:
        > >

        > > Hi Karrie,
        > >
        > > Thanks so much for making Nightshade. I downloaded the source code, but I must admit that I have no idea how to install it on a Linux system. I'm not afraid to do things in terminals, I just don't know how.
        > >
        > > Anyone willing to guide me through installing?
        > >
        > > Thanks again!

      • bergieberglund
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 6, 2010
          Hey Jon,

          Nightshade is actually just the Digitalis edition of Stellarium with another name. We recently decided to make our version available to the public rather to only our customers.

          In other words, you already have Nightshade, since you are one of our customers.

          Cheers,
          Karrie

          --- In small_planetarium@yahoogroups.com, "jonesalley" <jonesalley@...> wrote:

          > Is this going to be an online Digitarium upgrade or more of a manual process like the previous question seemed to indicate?
          >

          > --- In small_planetarium@yahoogroups.com, "bergieberglund" <bergieberglund@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hey Greg,
          > >
          > > Sorry for the slow reply. I'm out of town for a conference this week, and checking email has been more difficult than I expected.
          > >
          > > I would recommend posting your question in the Q&A section on the Nightshade site. Just go to the homepage (http://www.nightshadesoftware.org/), then click on the Q&A link along the left side of the page.
          > >
          > > Rob, Digitalis' president, will post a reply to your question there. That way not only you will see the answer, but also others who run into the same difficulties.
          > >
          > > Good luck, and I hope you enjoy it!
          > >
          > > Cheers,
          > > Karrie
          > >
          > > --- In small_planetarium@yahoogroups.com, "greggyvt1" <greggyvt1@> wrote:
          > > >

          > > > Hi Karrie,
          > > >
          > > > Thanks so much for making Nightshade. I downloaded the source code, but I must admit that I have no idea how to install it on a Linux system. I'm not afraid to do things in terminals, I just don't know how.
          > > >
          > > > Anyone willing to guide me through installing?
          > > >
          > > > Thanks again!

        • bergieberglund
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 6, 2010
            Hey Jon,

            Nightshade is actually just the Digitalis edition of Stellarium with another name. We recently decided to make our version available to the public rather to only our customers.

            In other words, you already have Nightshade, since you are one of our customers.

            Cheers,
            Karrie

            --- In small_planetarium@yahoogroups.com, "jonesalley" <jonesalley@...> wrote:

            > Is this going to be an online Digitarium upgrade or more of a manual process like the previous question seemed to indicate?
            >

            > --- In small_planetarium@yahoogroups.com, "bergieberglund" <bergieberglund@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hey Greg,
            > >
            > > Sorry for the slow reply. I'm out of town for a conference this week, and checking email has been more difficult than I expected.
            > >
            > > I would recommend posting your question in the Q&A section on the Nightshade site. Just go to the homepage (http://www.nightshadesoftware.org/), then click on the Q&A link along the left side of the page.
            > >
            > > Rob, Digitalis' president, will post a reply to your question there. That way not only you will see the answer, but also others who run into the same difficulties.
            > >
            > > Good luck, and I hope you enjoy it!
            > >
            > > Cheers,
            > > Karrie
            > >
            > > --- In small_planetarium@yahoogroups.com, "greggyvt1" <greggyvt1@> wrote:
            > > >

            > > > Hi Karrie,
            > > >
            > > > Thanks so much for making Nightshade. I downloaded the source code, but I must admit that I have no idea how to install it on a Linux system. I'm not afraid to do things in terminals, I just don't know how.
            > > >
            > > > Anyone willing to guide me through installing?
            > > >
            > > > Thanks again!

          • jcarlos rocha
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 7, 2010
              hi Karrie ,

               tks for share!!

              Jose Carlos

              De: bergieberglund <bergieberglund@...>
              Para: small_planetarium@yahoogroups.com
              Enviadas: Quarta-feira, 6 de Janeiro de 2010 11:10:48
              Assunto: [small_planetarium] Re: Nightshade astronomy simulator launched

              Hey Jon,

              Nightshade is actually just the Digitalis edition of Stellarium with another name. We recently decided to make our version available to the public rather to only our customers.

              In other words, you already have Nightshade, since you are one of our customers.

              Cheers,
              Karrie

              --- In small_planetarium@ yahoogroups. com, "jonesalley" <jonesalley@ ...> wrote:

              > Is this going to be an online Digitarium upgrade or more of a manual process like the previous question seemed to indicate?
              >

              > --- In small_planetarium@ yahoogroups. com, "bergieberglund" <bergieberglund@ > wrote:
              > >
              > > Hey Greg,
              > >
              > > Sorry for the slow reply. I'm out of town for a conference this week, and checking email has been more difficult than I expected.
              > >
              > > I would recommend posting your question in the Q&A section on the Nightshade site. Just go to the homepage (http://www.nightsha desoftware. org/), then click on the Q&A link along the left side of the page.
              > >
              > > Rob, Digitalis' president, will post a reply to your question there. That way not only you will see the answer, but also others who run into the same difficulties.
              > >
              > > Good luck, and I hope you enjoy it!
              > >
              > > Cheers,
              > > Karrie
              > >
              > > --- In small_planetarium@ yahoogroups. com, "greggyvt1" <greggyvt1@> wrote:
              > > >

              > > > Hi Karrie,
              > > >
              > > > Thanks so much for making Nightshade. I downloaded the source code, but I must admit that I have no idea how to install it on a Linux system. I'm not afraid to do things in terminals, I just don't know how.
              > > >
              > > > Anyone willing to guide me through installing?
              > > >
              > > > Thanks again!

              Veja quais são os assuntos do momento no Yahoo! + Buscados: Top 10 - Celebridades - Música - Esportes
            • VIVEK D
              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 28, 2010
                hi,
                Well I downloaded the software for windows....but facing a problem using the mouse pointer....neither the keyboard function is working...
                Pl. Help.

                --- In small_planetarium@yahoogroups.com, "bergieberglund" <bergieberglund@...> wrote:

                > Hey Jon,
                >
                > Nightshade is actually just the Digitalis edition of Stellarium with another name. We recently decided to make our version available to the public rather to only our customers.
                >
                > In other words, you already have Nightshade, since you are one of our customers.
                >
                > Cheers,
                > Karrie
                >
                > --- In small_planetarium@yahoogroups.com, "jonesalley" <jonesalley@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Is this going to be an online Digitarium upgrade or more of a manual process like the previous question seemed to indicate?
                > >

                > > --- In small_planetarium@yahoogroups.com, "bergieberglund" <bergieberglund@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Hey Greg,
                > > >
                > > > Sorry for the slow reply. I'm out of town for a conference this week, and checking email has been more difficult than I expected.
                > > >
                > > > I would recommend posting your question in the Q&A section on the Nightshade site. Just go to the homepage (http://www.nightshadesoftware.org/), then click on the Q&A link along the left side of the page.
                > > >
                > > > Rob, Digitalis' president, will post a reply to your question there. That way not only you will see the answer, but also others who run into the same difficulties.
                > > >
                > > > Good luck, and I hope you enjoy it!
                > > >
                > > > Cheers,
                > > > Karrie

              • bergieberglund
                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 29, 2010
                  Hi Vivek,

                  I'm glad to hear that you downloaded the software, but sorry to hear about your problems with the mouse.

                  The best thing to do is to go to the Nightshade Q&A section and post your question there. That way anyone else who runs into the same problem will be able to find the reply. Here's a link to the Nightshade homepage:
                  http://www.nightshadesoftware.org/

                  Just click on the Q&A link on the left side of the page, then follow the directions to post your question.

                  Thanks,
                  Karrie

                  --- In small_planetarium@yahoogroups.com, "VIVEK D" <vivekd@...> wrote:

                  > hi,
                  > Well I downloaded the software for windows....but facing a problem using the mouse pointer....neither the keyboard function is working...
                  > Pl. Help.
                  >

                  > --- In small_planetarium@yahoogroups.com, "bergieberglund" <bergieberglund@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hey Jon,
                  > >
                  > > Nightshade is actually just the Digitalis edition of Stellarium with another name. We recently decided to make our version available to the public rather to only our customers.
                  > >
                  > > In other words, you already have Nightshade, since you are one of our customers.
                  > >
                  > > Cheers,
                  > > Karrie
                  > >
                  > > --- In small_planetarium@yahoogroups.com, "jonesalley" <jonesalley@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Is this going to be an online Digitarium upgrade or more of a manual process like the previous question seemed to indicate?

                • VIVEK D
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 30, 2010
                    Thanks Karrie.
                    One more question.
                    Me and my team here in India are planning to set up a small planeterium. We were thinking of designing the "inflatable" dome our selves. I was wondering about the material that is to be used for the same.

                    Thanks,
                    Vivek

                    --- In small_planetarium@yahoogroups.com, "bergieberglund" <bergieberglund@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Vivek,
                    >
                    > I'm glad to hear that you downloaded the software, but sorry to hear about your problems with the mouse.
                    >
                    > The best thing to do is to go to the Nightshade Q&A section and post your question there. That way anyone else who runs into the same problem will be able to find the reply. Here's a link to the Nightshade homepage:
                    > http://www.nightshadesoftware.org/
                    >
                    > Just click on the Q&A link on the left side of the page, then follow the directions to post your question.
                    >
                    > Thanks,
                    > Karrie
                    >

                    > --- In small_planetarium@yahoogroups.com, "VIVEK D" <vivekd@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > hi,
                    > > Well I downloaded the software for windows....but facing a problem using the mouse pointer....neither the keyboard function is working...
                    > > Pl. Help.
                    > >

                    > > --- In small_planetarium@yahoogroups.com, "bergieberglund" <bergieberglund@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Hey Jon,
                    > > >
                    > > > Nightshade is actually just the Digitalis edition of Stellarium with another name. We recently decided to make our version available to the public rather to only our customers.
                    > > >
                    > > > In other words, you already have Nightshade, since you are one of our customers.
                    > > >
                    > > > Cheers,
                    > > > Karrie

                  • Adam Goss
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 30, 2010
                      Hello Vivek,

                      I have been following your conversation and haven't  been able to offer any input.  I have however built inflatable domes out of tablecloth-plastic.  I have a blog about their construction and can generate gore dome patterns for any size of dome being constructed.  You can view it here.  Building designs are near the bottom.  If you are interested in some patterns, just let me know and I will send you some.  If you have a pattern already, all I have to offer additionally is that tablecloth plastic makes a good dome, as long as the room is dark.  It is easy to inflate and cheap to replace.

                      Best,
                      -Adam Goss

                      Me and my team here in India are planning to set up a small planeterium. We were thinking of designing the "inflatable" dome our selves. I was wondering about the material that is to be used for the same.

                      Thanks,
                      Vivek

                      --- In small_planetarium@ yahoogroups. com, "bergieberglund" <bergieberglund@ ...> wrote:

                      > Hi Vivek,
                      >
                      > I'm glad to hear that you downloaded the software, but sorry to hear about your problems with the mouse.
                      >
                      > The best thing to do is to go to the Nightshade Q&A section and post your question there. That way anyone else who runs into the same problem will be able to find the reply. Here's a link to the Nightshade homepage:
                      > http://www.nightsha desoftware. org/
                      >
                      > Just click on the Q&A link on the left side of the page, then follow the directions to post your question.
                      >
                      > Thanks,
                      > Karrie
                      >

                      > --- In small_planetarium@ yahoogroups. com, "VIVEK D" <vivekd@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > hi,
                      > > Well I downloaded the software for windows....but facing a problem using the mouse pointer....neither the keyboard function is working...
                      > > Pl. Help.
                      > >

                      > > --- In small_planetarium@ yahoogroups. com, "bergieberglund" <bergieberglund@ > wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > Hey Jon,
                      > > >
                      > > > Nightshade is actually just the Digitalis edition of Stellarium with another name. We recently decided to make our version available to the public rather to only our customers.
                      > > >
                      > > > In other words, you already have Nightshade, since you are one of our customers.
                      > > >
                      > > > Cheers,
                      > > > Karrie

                    • Adam Goss
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jan 30, 2010
                        Apologies, I forgot to post the blog link; here it is:
                        http://diyplanetarium.blogspot.com/

                        -Adam

                      • vivekd
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jan 30, 2010
                          No problem..actually the word "here" had the link.....

                          Regards
                          Vivek
                          CSIR-URDIP

                          (http://urdip.res.in/) Disclaimer:
                          The information contained in this electronic message and any attachments to this
                          message are intended for the exclusive use of the addressee(s) and may contain
                          proprietary, confidential, copyright or privileged information. If you are not the
                          intended recipient, you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please
                          inform the sender immediately and destroy all copies of this message and any attachments.

                          > Apologies, I forgot to post the blog link; here it is:

                          http://diyplanetari um.blogspot. com/

                          -Adam

                          >On Sat Jan 30th, 2010 8:23 AM MST Adam Goss wrote:
                          >
                          >>Hello Vivek,
                          >>
                          >>I have been following your conversation and haven't  been able to offer any input.  I have however built inflatable domes out of tablecloth-plastic.  I have a blog about their construction and can generate gore dome patterns for any size of dome being constructed.  You can view it here.  Building designs are near the bottom.  If you are interested in some patterns, just let me know and I will send you some.  If you have a pattern already, all I have to offer additionally is that tablecloth plastic makes a good dome, as long as the room is dark.  It is easy to inflate and cheap to replace.
                          >>
                          >>Best,
                          >>-Adam Goss

                          ------- End of Original Message -------
                        • bergieberglund
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jan 31, 2010
                            Hi Vivek,

                            Our domes are built from fabric we had custom made specifically for that purpose. You could try using off the shelf black out curtain fabric (such as http://www.roc-lon.com/), if you need an opaque material.

                            If you do not need an opaque material, the fabric options are much more open--Adam mentioned that he used tablecloths, for example.

                          • yves lhoumeau
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jan 31, 2010
                              Hi Vivek,

                              i've making some domes, with different material
                              http://lss-planetarium.ovh.org/index.php?lang=en&page=project

                              cardboard, wood and textile, etc...
                              http://pagesperso-orange.fr/yves.lhoumeau/astronomie/diffusion/animation/planetarium/3m/page3mA.htm

                              http://pagesperso-orange.fr/yves.lhoumeau/astronomie/diffusion/animation/planetarium/planetarium2.htm

                              but now, for schools, i'm using a professional inflatable dome, because of safety rules (fire, etc)
                              i'm using my "old" 3 m dome in my garage for testing scripts or video sequence.

                              note, we have add some fonctions to Nightshade (video juke-box, audio, lauch scripts on one key etc) and use a wiimote as ... remote ;)

                              Yves Lhoumeau
                              LSS planetarium open project

                            • vivekd

                                > Our domes are built from fabric we had custom made specifically for that
                                > purpose. You could try using off the shelf black out curtain fabric (such as
                                > http://www.roc-lon.com/), if you need an opaque material.
                                >
                                > If you do not need an opaque material, the fabric options are much more open-
                                > -Adam mentioned that he used tablecloths, for example.
                                >
                                > Cheers,
                                > Karrie
                                >
                                > --- In small_planetarium@yahoogroups.com, "VIVEK D" <vivekd@...> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Thanks Karrie.
                                > > One more question.
                                > > Me and my team here in India are planning to set up a small planeterium. We were
                                thinking of designing the "inflatable" dome our selves. I was wondering about the material
                                that is to be used for the same.

                                > > Thanks,
                                > > Vivek
                                > >
                                > > --- In small_planetarium@yahoogroups.com, "bergieberglund" <bergieberglund@> wrote:
                                > > >

                                > > > Hi Vivek,
                                > > >
                                > > > I'm glad to hear that you downloaded the software, but sorry to hear about your
                                problems with the mouse.

                                > > > The best thing to do is to go to the Nightshade Q&A section and post your question
                                there. That way anyone else who runs into the same problem will be able to find the reply.
                                Here's a link to the Nightshade homepage:
                                > > > http://www.nightshadesoftware.org/
                                > > >
                                > > > Just click on the Q&A link on the left side of the page, then follow the directions
                                to post your question.

                                > > > Thanks,
                                > > > Karrie

                                pointer....neither the keyboard function is working...

                                name. We recently decided to make our version available to the public rather to only our
                                customers.

                                like the previous question seemed to indicate?

                                checking email has been more difficult than I expected.

                                site. Just go to the homepage (http://www.nightshadesoftware.org/), then click on the Q&A
                                link along the left side of the page.

                                way not only you will see the answer, but also others who run into the same difficulties.

                                must admit that I have no idea how to install it on a Linux system. I'm not afraid to do
                                things in terminals, I just don't know how.

                                ------- End of Original Message -------
                              • vivekd